Clinicanthus lutens (herb)

cusanus

Lots of info on this herb on the Internet, supposedly grown in Thailand and Malaysia among other countries, but darned if I can find the leaves to use for tea. A white, liquid I bought instantly cleared up a rash that I've been battling for ten years and there are credible reports of anticancer activity using the herbal tea. The only place I can see to order the leaves is Malaysia which will almost certainly create a problem with customs unless it goes ordinary postal. Someone years ago offered to provide cuttings for planting, but he doesn't respond anymore. I can make intelligent guesses on my own, so please don't respond unless you know exactly where this herb (or the live plant) can be obtained, especially in the Chiang Mai area. 
THANKS! 

8 hours ago, faraday said:

Clinicanthus Nutans is the only plant I can see with a similar name.

C. Lutens appears not to exist.

Perhaps try here 'botany.org'.

Good luck in finding what you need.

:smile:

My bad, it is nutans, sp is lower case. I'm a bit sloppy at times. 

6 hours ago, FolkGuitar said:

A weekend in Kuala Lumpur isn't a trek up Kilimanjaro. Not even an expensive weekend getaway. And if that's where you can get your herb, boxing it up and mailing it back to you or bringing it back in your suitcase seems easy enough.

Not a bad idea, thanks. My lovely Thai wife retires in six weeks, might be fun. 

Plant extraction
Leaves of CN were collected from Amphur
Pakchong, Nakorn Rajchasema, a province in the
northeast of Thailand. Dried leaves were pulverized and then soaked in 50% ethanol for 7 days.
The alcoholic solvent was evaporated under low
pressure at 60ºC, after that the solution was dried
by lyophilization. The water-soluble product
obtained was a greenish powder with the percent
yield of 11.06.
A plant specimen was identified by Mr
Charan Leeratiwong, Department of Biology,
Faculty of Science, Prince of Songkla University,
and the voucher specimen No. SKP 0010314 was
deposited at the Herbarium of Pharmacognosy and
Pharmaceutical Botany Department, Faculty of
Pharmaceutical Sciences, Prince of Songkla University, Hat Yai, Songkla,

Been searching around, just can't find a supplier for C.N.

Maybe contact this man at Sonkla Uni?

2 minutes ago, faraday said:

A plant specimen was identified by Mr
Charan Leeratiwong, Department of Biology,
Faculty of Science, Prince of Songkla University, 
Pharmaceutical Botany Department, Faculty of
Pharmaceutical Sciences, Prince of Songkla University, Hat Yai, Songkla,

Been searching around, just can't find a supplier for C.N.

Maybe contact this man at Sonkla Uni?

Thanks for the efforts. 

1 hour ago, faraday said:

Yes, I've seen that. The one man's remark that Snake Grass does not cure cancer is typical, but some studies show it does and if it did the medical / pharma industries would make sure you didn't know it, no money. On another older thread a man in Chiang Mai was diagnosed with terminal cancer, six tumors, impending death. After drinking this snake grass tea all the tumors shrunk to the amazement of his doctors, so he tried to order more from Malaysia via courier. His shipment was seized and he was hit with all sorts of penalties and ultimatums, nothing heard after that. While I appreciate comments, these older links are easy to find, I've been there most likely, so let's try not to waste time and effort. Of course, I don't have cancer and am in superb health, but it's good to be prepared and the liquid has entirely cured the rash I suffered with for ten years, I expect as long as I don't stop using it, but it's a small miracle to me. Barleria has been another wonder herb that I discovered in Thailand, but let's stick to this one for now. Surely, there's a way to find the herb or at least some cuttings.   

Yes, without going into Pharmaceutical Companies & their 'tricks', there are, I'm sure, many Herbs & etc that can either cure, or alleviate some illnesses. I have noticed over the years how simple & inexpensive treatments seem to 'dissappear' from sale, to be later replaced by a drug concotion that cost considerabley more. Just skimming the surface with my opinions, as a whole new discussion would derail your thread.

There is a website 'Snake sabah treatments' that sells it, but it might be defunct, as the last comment was in 2012.

I'll keep looking, as I find alternatives to mainstream western medicine very interesting.

Glad you don't have Cancer. :smile:

4 minutes ago, faraday said:

Yes, without going into Pharmaceutical Companies & their 'tricks', there are, I'm sure, many Herbs & etc that can either cure, or alleviate some illnesses. I have noticed over the years how simple & inexpensive treatments seem to 'dissappear' from sale, to be later replaced by a drug concotion that cost considerabley more. Just skimming the surface with my opinions, as a whole new discussion would derail your thread.

There is a website 'Snake sabah treatments' that sells it, but it might be defunct, as the last comment was in 2012.

I'll keep looking, as I find alternatives to mainstream western medicine very interesting.

Glad you don't have Cancer. :smile:

Well, thank you very much for your kind remarks, Mr. Faraday. Too bad we have the problem with courier services and Thai customs. I've got enough room to grow some herbs if worth the trouble. Can't overstate my pleasure at having it wipe out the rash. :)

On 8/21/2017 at 8:49 AM, faraday said:

It's called 'Snake Grass'.

Sabah Snake Grass aka SSG it seems often. Haven't looked at the universities yet. Got this email reply from Malaysia today: 

Hi,
We have sent this products to Hong Kong,Macao, China,Singapore and Indonesia but not yet in Thailand. Only for Indonesia quite difficult for customs clearance, the rest mentioned above was quite easy

You Dun Chao Healthcare Products Sdn Bhd
No.10, Jalan Kuchai Maju 16,
Kuchai Entrepreneur's Park,
Off Kuchai Lama,
58200 Kuala Lumpur.
Tel : 03-7984 0071 
Fax : 03-79823071   

The Barleria herb you mentioned earlier looks very interesting.

I've had gastric reflux for years & take Omeprazole every day; would be nice not to have to take it ad infinitum.

I've seen some studies that say it increases E2 (Oestrodiol) in men, which in turn can affect ones personal Moh scale....555!

Btw, do you know where to buy Ferric Chloride, my bil wants it to etch a pattern on knives.

I used to grow payayoh at my previous house.  I bought two plants for 20 baht each at a local market and they flourished for years.  They are very easy to grow and keep alive and I used to harvest around a hundred leaves per day and put them in smoothies, though I don't know if ingesting them in that way has the same therapeutic effect.  So, you might ask around at any place that sells plants.  

I wonder if you can make tea with the freshly harvested leaves or do they require some processing?  

3 hours ago, faraday said:

The Barleria herb you mentioned earlier looks very interesting.

I've had gastric reflux for years & take Omeprazole every day; would be nice not to have to take it ad infinitum.

I've seen some studies that say it increases E2 (Oestrodiol) in men, which in turn can affect ones personal Moh scale....555!

Btw, do you know where to buy Ferric Chloride, my bil wants it to etch a pattern on knives.

Here it is sold as a green balm in small jars, 50-70 baht each, not hard to find. The herb is used to cure all sorts of ailments in India, check that out via Yahoo (I do NOT recommend Google any longer). Too much strong coffee daily gives me reflux as does fat and alcohol. Treatment is always problematic long term if you can't ferret out the root cause. Wish I had access to chemicals, but my university research days are long over. 

2 hours ago, Somnambulist said:

I used to grow payayoh at my previous house.  I bought two plants for 20 baht each at a local market and they flourished for years.  They are very easy to grow and keep alive and I used to harvest around a hundred leaves per day and put them in smoothies, though I don't know if ingesting them in that way has the same therapeutic effect.  So, you might ask around at any place that sells plants.  

I wonder if you can make tea with the freshly harvested leaves or do they require some processing?  

Well, sure wish I could do the same. I believe the fresh leaves are fine, usually blended with green apples for a nice, refreshing drink. I'll try to enlist my darling Thai wife's help on this one. THANKS!

4 minutes ago, ilostmypassword said:

I did find a study done on this herb by faculty at mae jo university. I don't know how good their english is or how good your thai is but at the very least your wife could attempt to contact them.

Here's the link:

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2221169115309643

Thanks you so very much. 

• 6 months later...

Hey it cured my insect bites !  Green Palm is 35 baht in any local pharmacy .  Used it 3 times and the rash had gone , normally I suffer 1-2 weeks. 

Now I want to try it on my dark spots on the skin, maybe it will grow new skin cells , who knows. 

Also I would like to buy the plant so I can make a tea , but do they sell it on the local markets ?   In Thai the name is phaya yo. 

3 hours ago, balo said:

Hey it cured my insect bites !  Green Palm is 35 baht in any local pharmacy .  Used it 3 times and the rash had gone , normally I suffer 1-2 weeks. 

Now I want to try it on my dark spots on the skin, maybe it will grow new skin cells , who knows. 

Also I would like to buy the plant so I can make a tea , but do they sell it on the local markets ?   In Thai the name is phaya yo. 

Been a long time since the last post. A great fellow and his herbalist super Thai wife gave me several cuttings of Sabah Snake Grass and a different species of the same genus with much larger leaves. It has grown very slowly, but the last month has finally started to take off. But then I blew the next bunch of cuttings thinking that letting them sit in water to root would work. So now I'm trying again doing just a cutting or two every few days and concentrating on keeping them alive. When the leaves drop off a cutting, I'll chew them up, not sure it's doing any miracles, but I'll be giving it the acid test by year's end. I'm a believer!

Archived