Nida poll reports high approval ratings for PM since 2014 coup

webfact

Nida poll reports high approval ratings for PM since 2014 coup

By THE NATION

24e3249a8795e0e7ea59a61ef50ad962.jpg

Prayut

BANGKOK: -- THE MAJORITY of respondents in a Nida poll gave Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha a thumbs up for his administration’s performance over the past three years following the 2014 coup while Deputy Prime Minister Prawit Wongsuwan was named the most impressive Cabinet member in the same opinion survey.

Conducted during August 15-17, the poll by the National Institute of Development Administration (Nida), showed that 48.7 per cent of the 1,250 people surveyed approved of the Prayut government’s performance while citing the military leadership and ideology as key factors for their favourable impression.

Prayut personally received a high approval rating of 81.2 per cent among respondents for his leadership and ideology while 82.3 per cent of respondents were impressed by his decisiveness.

In terms of solving the country’s problems, 73.6 per cent of respondents said the Prayut government’s policies and measures had been effective, while 64.5 per cent of respondents said the government was transparent.

Besides the prime minister, respondents said they were most impressed by Deputy Prime Minister and Defence Minister Prawit, followed by Deputy Prime Minister Wissanu Kreangam, Deputy Prime Minister Somkid Jatusripitak, Tourism and Sports Minister Kobkan Watanawarangkun, Interior Minister Anupong Paochinda and Social Development and Human Security Minister Adul Saengsingkaew.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/politics/30324372

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-08-21

1 hour ago, webfact said:

82.3 per cent of respondents were impressed by his decisiveness

Any fool can be decisive. It is the quality of the decision and the importance of the decision that is relevant. Being decisive about the attire of twerking dancers and small minded alcohol advertising laws and 10 years jail for smoking e-cigarettes does not count toward good governance of the country.

Edited by Cadbury

The National Institute of Development Administration (NIDA) is a public graduate university in Thailand under the Commission on Higher Education, the Ministry of Education

no bias there then  :passifier:

Edited by LannaGuy

Well, the "polls" initially had him at 97% "approval" way back when.

54 minutes ago, nev said:

My wife thinks he is doing a excellent job and likes him, I think it is the fact that things are getting done and corrupt people are running scared.

"Corrupt" people are "running", running the government.

What "things" are "getting done"?

I've yet to meet any Thai that approves of him. They are clearly either not asking a true cross-section of the public or the people answering are not brave enough to give their real opinion. I think all were willing at first to give him a chance, but as time has relentlessly drawn on and everything delayed, they all see through him now.

Edited by RichardColeman

1 hour ago, nev said:

My wife thinks he is doing a excellent job and likes him, I think it is the fact that things are getting done and corrupt people are running scared.

Not contradicting you, genuine question. Are corrupt people running scared? I know in China they are since the last 5 to 10 years or so of a serious clamp down, but in China we has seen people jailed and I have even heard of executions.

I can't think of any high profile cases here where someone has been banged up for high level corruption.

Again, maybe I am missing something but I get the impression that corruption is still here and endemic from top to bottom.

5 hours ago, webfact said:

poll by the National Institute of Development Administration (Nida), showed that 48.7 per cent of the 1,250 people surveyed approved of the Prayut government’s performance

A Nida Poll in June 2017 found that more than 50% of respondents were in favor of a new party to be formed to support Prayut’s government in the next election. https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/989896-pm-prayut-plays-down-notion-that-political-party-be-set-up-to-support-him/?tab=comments#comment-12029393

Has then Prayut's approval rating has fallen?

Edited by Srikcir
appearance

4 hours ago, nev said:

Wow she's in a small minority that have fallen for the PR BS.

Does she include Red Bull Boy as 'running scared' or just 'running'?

PS get a divorce

3 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

I've yet to meet any Thai that approves of him. They are clearly either not asking a true cross-section of the public or the people answering are not brave enough to give their real opinion. I think all were willing at first to give him a chance, but as time has relentlessly drawn on and everything delayed, they all see through him now.

Strange. Most Thais I know approve of him. But I guess we live in different "worlds". The issue is really corruption. this government has rooted out more corruption that all of the last governments put together!

1 hour ago, gamini said:

Strange. Most Thais I know approve of him. But I guess we live in different "worlds". The issue is really corruption. this government has rooted out more corruption that all of the last governments put together!

Like the infamous Park in Hua Hin? the Brother of Prayuth, Prayuth fortune? 

In an insane asylum no doubt some inmates could say most people they know are radishes.Your opinion that most Thais approve of the Junta doesn't reflect the perception of anyone I know, but let that pass.Even the most obtuse and blinkered are entitled to hold an opinion however fatuous.The only opinion that really matters however is that registered by the Thai people in a free democratic election held under a constitutional framework that is not rigged.

Where you are stonkingly wrong is your suggestion that genuine inroads have been made on corruption.There have been a few high profile cases where the motivation for cracking down was political.We can't discuss the details.But otherwise the trough has been open for business.Ask any highly placed Thai.At a corporate level the position is worse than ever and nothing has changed in the traditional military buffet.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

4 hours ago, gamini said:

What you mean is "This govt has set, and is settling, some old scores".