They’re heroes! Foreign tourists praised for rescuing Thai family after car plunges into Chiang Mai moat

webfact

5 hours ago, AlQaholic said:

mebe they can erect a barrier or something?

Same thought occurred to me:   Instead of anti-terrorist bollards, the moats need something to stop these unplanned dives.

Having seen the moats both empty and full, and the various colours the water goes in warmer weather, the rescuers need to be medically checked out.

6 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

The world needs more hero's :)

Good on them.... 

Right on.....and in this case they are indeed real heroes......a word that seems to have lost it's true meaning some years back.

7 hours ago, darksidedog said:

It seems that driving into the moat at Chiang Mai is almost becoming a national hobby. Fair play to the tourists who jumped in to assist though. Helping in these situations is one of the benefits of actually being able to swim, something most of us take for granted, but many of the locals can't do.

..same crowd..same crane...glad the occupants are safe.

2 hours ago, lvr181 said:

I drive an auto and I do use left foot braking - quicker than changing pedals with one foot. :thumbsup:

I'll wager you replace brakes often also, as people that brake with the left foot tend to keep the foot on the throttle a bit longer. Try driving a car with a standard transmission. 

8 hours ago, lvr181 said:

I drive an auto and I do use left foot braking - quicker than changing pedals with one foot. :thumbsup:

Nothing worse than following you, the brake lights become a joke, no use whatsoever. Massive problem in Thailand, hub of car deaths, and no doubt a factor in this accident. 

Nothing safer than a manual, hit the wrong foot and you just remove the ability of the engine to push the car forward. When I drove an automatic, hit the wrong foot and I just hit the floor, engine wasn't disengaged, but at least I didn't accelerate.

18 hours ago, Grumpy Duck said:

I'll wager you replace brakes often also, as people that brake with the left foot tend to keep the foot on the throttle a bit longer. Try driving a car with a standard transmission. 

Wrong - last change of brake pads was at 114000kms! I gave up on manual transmissions 38 years ago. When you do a lot of driving in traffic or having to stop and start on uphill grades, autos are better. And for the 28 years before that I drove manual transmission cars, (at which time I was also racing them) but then I decided to drive smarter not harder and used auto transmissions. :thumbsup:

13 hours ago, naboo said:

Nothing worse than following you, the brake lights become a joke, no use whatsoever. Massive problem in Thailand, hub of car deaths, and no doubt a factor in this accident. 

Nothing safer than a manual, hit the wrong foot and you just remove the ability of the engine to push the car forward. When I drove an automatic, hit the wrong foot and I just hit the floor, engine wasn't disengaged, but at least I didn't accelerate.

Don't tailgate me then there would be no problem. :biggrin:

3 hours ago, lvr181 said:

Wrong - last change of brake pads was at 114000kms! I gave up on manual transmissions 38 years ago. When you do a lot of driving in traffic or having to stop and start on uphill grades, autos are better. And for the 28 years before that I drove manual transmission cars, (at which time I was also racing them) but then I decided to drive smarter not harder and used auto transmissions. :thumbsup:

Average brake pads can last from 25k miles to 70k miles (114,000km) 

the brake pads on the 26 wheel low bed and dump trucks I drove in Los Angeles rush hours traffic as I recall got even better milage but I didn't ride the brakes. It does take a talent to heel/toe the brake/throttle pedals on hills in traffic. But idle in granny gear on a 10 or 13 speed can reduce that if traffic is just moving slow. The race cars I was involved with were USAC midgets and sprints, neither had transmissions at all. 

2 hours ago, Grumpy Duck said:

Average brake pads can last from 25k miles to 70k miles (114,000km) 

the brake pads on the 26 wheel low bed and dump trucks I drove in Los Angeles rush hours traffic as I recall got even better milage but I didn't ride the brakes. It does take a talent to heel/toe the brake/throttle pedals on hills in traffic. But idle in granny gear on a 10 or 13 speed can reduce that if traffic is just moving slow. The race cars I was involved with were USAC midgets and sprints, neither had transmissions at all. 

"The race cars I was involved with were USAC midgets and sprints, neither had transmissions at all."  (my italics) Even easier to drive than an auto and far easier than a manual (aside from the driving conditions) :thumbsup:

2 hours ago, lvr181 said:

"The race cars I was involved with were USAC midgets and sprints, neither had transmissions at all."  (my italics) Even easier to drive than an auto and far easier than a manual (aside from the driving conditions) :thumbsup:

555 as long as the stagger is correct

12 hours ago, Grumpy Duck said:

555 as long as the stagger is correct

I understand the racing terminology. 

But 'stagger' is rife on Thai roads - stagger(ing) imbeciles, drunks, drug affected drivers and too many 'single cell brain' drivers. :biggrin:

I have friend, who is a school teacher and before the days of popular political correctness, she always said that "thick" (substitute with uneducated) people breed "thick" kids.  :sad:

• 4 weeks later...