New traffic tickets include English, allow appeals

snoop1130

17 hours ago, gr8fldanielle said:

as a motorcyclist, here is my question regarding "Not keeping to the outermost left hand side lane" because they never state any statute which should make it easy to dispute.

Section 33 (500B)
[When driving, the driver shall keep to the left of the road and must not drive beyond the
middle of the roadway, except following situations:
a. there is obstruction on the road
b. the road is prescribed as one-way
c. the road width is less than 6m.

Section 34 (500B)
[If the road is divided into two or more traffic lanes in the same direction, the driver shall
keep to the outermost left-hand side lane. If the outermost left-hand side lane is a bus
lane, the driver shall keep close to the bus lane. Except following situations:
a. there is obstruction on the road
b. the road is prescribed as one-way
c. it is necessary to enter the correct lane upon approaching a junction
d. when overtaking another vehicle
e. when driving faster than vehicles in the left-hand side lane.

Section 35 (400-1000B)
The driver of a truck, passenger vehicle, motorcycle, vehicle of low speed or traveling at
lower speed than those of other vehicles moving in the same direction,
shall keep to the
curbside of the roadway as close as possible.
If such a roadway is divided into two or more traffic lanes in the same direction or has a
bus lane specifically arranged on the left-hand side, the driver shall drive the vehicle in the
outermost left-hand side lane or close to the bus lane, as the case may be.

I am pleased you have posted this. The roadblocks are nothing more than "entrapment" as all too often you can't see what is causing the left hand lane to be blocked and pullout to pass (in accordance with the law), but are then pounced on by the cops for being in the outside lane.

It is not only highway robbery but authorised corrupt practice.

I can see how this will stop the cash on the spot fines...err NOT.

So, for the postal fines (from cameras?) when when Somchai Richkid in his Lambo has clocked up 2-300 points will he lose his licence or just pay for a new clean one?

Another badly thought through scheme but maybe at least with good intention.

Edited by George FmplesdaCosteedback

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 8/21/2017 at 8:09 AM, darksidedog said:

... It cost me over 3,000 Baht to repair the damage the police caused in transporting it. Both mirrors and one brake lever broken, the heat shield on the exhaust ripped off, a smashed indicator and scratched and broken panels.

And there was a nice note in English saying "We win.  Have a nice day.  See you next time."

18 hours ago, jossthaifarang said:

I agree with you to some extent dotpoom, however It is apparent that you have never been stopped by a traffic officer, blatantly asking you for money on the spot in Thai because they cant speak English. 

Once you have experienced this multiple times, you too will begin to lose faith in the the Thai police system, as well as the idea that you would ever actually be able to appeal and ruling they come up with.

I'm pretty sure every one of the posters above have experience with these bandits.. The only way to appeal is the system that has been in place for countless years, 100/200 baht neatly folded under your licence when you hand it to them, maybe more depending on the offence..

I've never had the pleasure of operating a motor vehicle in Thailand so I've missed out on all the excitement of paying cash, much less getting stopped.

Instead, I ride bicycles and basically do what motorbike operators do and have never been stopped because (I'm told) they think cyclists are poor and have no money. Or maybe they think I'm crazy for riding a bicycle and don't want to deal with a nutter.

:biggrin:

Edited by MaxYakov

10 hours ago, Cheops said:

So if I'm driving 120 in the right lane and I get passed by a motorcycle or car on the left lane, I'm in the wrong? 

Somehow I don't think so :passifier:

Well, you'd be speeding (which is wrong) as the speed limit on highways is 90km/h and the very few "freeways" where one can drive 120km/h do not allow motorbikes on (so you'd be on a highway) 

On 8/21/2017 at 5:09 AM, darksidedog said:

I would like to know how this is going to work in practicality. Given that the nice policeman takes the keys to your bike when you get a ticket and doesn't give them back until you show the receipt. If you appeal, when do you get the keys back? Straight away, or after the 15 day period within which you have to explain yourself?

The last thing you want is your bike going to the compound. My son recently had his bike taken there as his passenger had no helmet and he didn't have enough cash on him to pay the fine. It cost me over 3,000 Baht to repair the damage the police caused in transporting it. Both mirrors and one brake lever broken, the heat shield on the exhaust ripped off, a smashed indicator and scratched and broken panels.

You are right about everything, but did you say anything to your son or punish him since he was the one who started the ball rolling " passenger had no helmet "?

23 hours ago, MaxYakov said:

I've never had the pleasure of operating a motor vehicle in Thailand so I've missed out on all the excitement of paying cash, much less getting stopped.

Instead, I ride bicycles and basically do what motorbike operators do and have never been stopped because (I'm told) they think cyclists are poor and have no money. Or maybe they think I'm crazy for riding a bicycle and don't want to deal with a nutter.

:biggrin:

:violin:

Your last sentence is about right.

Maybe you should add "death wish" though.

And I don't wish you luck.

I nearly got run over by a push bike on the pavement today.

A55#oles!

3 hours ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

A55#oles!

If I'm on the sidewalk (aka pavements) it's because I don't have a death wish and the BMA encourages their being shared, out of necessity, with cyclists. If I am on the sidewalk (or even the street!) I'm often trying to figure out what a pedestrian that is deeply distracted by their smart phone and oblivious to their surroundings is going to do. I give all pedestrians plenty of space and the right-of-way.

I have many times had to tell pedestrians to walk on the sidewalk and not on the streets (when it is not necessary to do so), often with their backs to traffic on particularly dangerous streets with high-speed motor vehicle traffic passing them in close proximity. More often than not, they don't want to hear it.

Additionally, I chewed out a young Thai cyclist the other day for proceeding down Soi 26 half the time with his head down into his smart phone which was mounted on his handlebars. I thought I would not see cyclists distracted with smart phones, as are many pedestrians, but I was wrong.  I'm rarely distracted on my bicycle and never use my phone "dumb" phone while I'm rolling. This is unlike many motor vehicle operators and pedestrians.

I nearly got hit by a couple of young farang cyclists who seemed to be having a speed contest on a sidewalk when they should have been on the street. But, in my experience, irresponsible cyclists are rare and I have a lot of experience on Bangkok streets and sidewalks.

Hundreds, if not thousands of pedestrians will be killed or injured by motor vehicles in Thailand yearly. How many do you think will be killed or even severely injured by cyclists? I believe it is extremely rare. If it happened a lot we would be hearing about it, yes?

You made the mistake of insulting me when you know nothing about me or how important my safety and the safety of others is to me. Actually, I believe you were just as successful in insulting yourself.

Edited by MaxYakov

16 hours ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

A55#oles!

I have been riding a bicycle, accident free, and a motorbike (3 accidents) in Thailand for 11 years and, apart from on highways which I try to avoid completely on a bicycle, I actually feel safer on the bicycle. Because going slower I can stop more quickly and easily to avoid any of the many hazards, and I actually find that most other road users do slow down and allow me more room on a bicycle. And when I use hand signals to turn left or right they almost stop as they dont know what the hell is going on....lol!  Maybe they do think Im crazy, but when I rarley have to stop and Im cruising smoothly between vehicles increasingly stuck in traffic congestion, I know who I think is crazy...:smile:.

21 hours ago, MaxYakov said:

If I'm on the sidewalk (aka pavements) it's because I don't have a death wish and the BMA encourages their being shared, out of necessity, with cyclists. If I am on the sidewalk (or even the street!) I'm often trying to figure out what a pedestrian that is deeply distracted by their smart phone and oblivious to their surroundings is going to do. I give all pedestrians plenty of space and the right-of-way.

I have many times had to tell pedestrians to walk on the sidewalk and not on the streets (when it is not necessary to do so), often with their backs to traffic on particularly dangerous streets with high-speed motor vehicle traffic passing them in close proximity. More often than not, they don't want to hear it.

Additionally, I chewed out a young Thai cyclist the other day for proceeding down Soi 26 half the time with his head down into his smart phone which was mounted on his handlebars. I thought I would not see cyclists distracted with smart phones, as are many pedestrians, but I was wrong.  I'm rarely distracted on my bicycle and never use my phone "dumb" phone while I'm rolling. This is unlike many motor vehicle operators and pedestrians.

I nearly got hit by a couple of young farang cyclists who seemed to be having a speed contest on a sidewalk when they should have been on the street. But, in my experience, irresponsible cyclists are rare and I have a lot of experience on Bangkok streets and sidewalks.

Hundreds, if not thousands of pedestrians will be killed or injured by motor vehicles in Thailand yearly. How many do you think will be killed or even severely injured by cyclists? I believe it is extremely rare. If it happened a lot we would be hearing about it, yes?

You made the mistake of insulting me when you know nothing about me or how important my safety and the safety of others is to me. Actually, I believe you were just as successful in insulting yourself.

Another self-righteous and indignant (no doubt green) cyclist.

I need to know nothing more about you than you have posted.

At least one went to jail in the UK this week for two years.

My comment was aimed at all cyclist myopic cyclopes, not just you. Stay off the pavement, and grow up. I was told off for riding on the path when I was six.

I do however agree about the "walking dead" slaves to the dumb phone.

Take care.

Edited by George FmplesdaCosteedback

• 2 months later...
On 8/22/2017 at 1:01 PM, Antioc said:

Well that's where the authorities have to start acting.  The culture is embedded and will be hard to change.  I was pulled up in Germany some time ago by a Traffic Police Office and told that I had violated a road rule about 10 ks back.  Didn't recall a violation but paid up when he requested money.  He said "money or Court".  He didn't issue a receipt, extracted his SMG barrell and waved me on.  Could have been Thailand.

To Antioc.

Jeesus, it must have been 'some time ago' if Guilders and Mark were still currency.

Edited by wgdanson