Koh Samet

crazyfalang

Just now, bberrythailand said:

Are the soldiers still around ? Or is it peaceful now ? Bars can close late again ?

Anyway this island is the biggest scam in the country. Overpriced everywhere !

Lol it is very true the pricing is ridiculous and try to see the funny side of the best breakfast and coffee bar on the island. Hilarious. Tripadvisor will lead the way.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 8/24/2017 at 8:00 AM, catman20 said:

its more of a relaxing break there, nice to eat on the beach of a night time, one of the best beaches there is AL PRO water is more calm not crashing against the beach, also be careful about the rip off speed boat thing, i always go to the pear and get the big boat over there takes about 45mins and cost about 60 baht per person as apposed to 1500 baht per person.

Ridiculous. Speedboat is 1500 for the whole boat, night and day !

1 hour ago, bberrythailand said:

Are the soldiers still around ? Or is it peaceful now ? Bars can close late again ?

Anyway this island is the biggest scam in the country. Overpriced everywhere !

Soldiers are still here. They have taken over the National Park entrance.

Bars have to turn the music off at 12 but do stay open as long as it doesnt get rowdy.

Accomadation charges more because of no mains water and the price of imported water is expensive.

Food is a joke. Pretty much double the price on the mainland but because its so close to Bkk and Pattaya the people just keep coming.

On 8/24/2017 at 9:58 AM, chickenslegs said:

Fee is 40B for Thai and 200B for foreigners.

The foreigner fee did increase to 400B but has been reduced again.

Recently, it has not been possible to get the Thai price by showing a Thai drivers licence - but, when I visited a few weeks ago, the officer told me that if I had a Thai ID card I would get the Thai price.

My wife and I visit different national parks several times a year and our experience is that their is no one price for all, ie, they all don't charge B400.   The max seems to be B400 for the bigger more popular parks where as the smaller parks are less.      The days of showing your Thai drivers lisc., work permit etc and getting in for the :Thai price" seem to be over.

2 minutes ago, Spaniel said:

My wife and I visit different national parks several times a year and our experience is that their is no one price for all, ie, they all don't charge B400.   The max seems to be B400 for the bigger more popular parks where as the smaller parks are less.      The days of showing your Thai drivers lisc., work permit etc and getting in for the :Thai price" seem to be over.

Ko Samet is 200 baht. 100 Baht for kids.

18 minutes ago, Mooner said:

Ko Samet is 200 baht. 100 Baht for kids.

Even though I live on the mainland I haven't been there for years as it's no better than the mainland but you used to be able to avoid the national park fee by going off to the left after leaving Nadan and walking past the temple. If you're there for a few days it's pointless avoiding a 200baht payment for the cost of 2 bottles of beer when you might need the receipt if you're stopped .........

Honestly I'd say it's the worst island I've been to in thailand pre or post army and regs. Got a sloppyNess about it. I also did not like being facebook stalked by the owner of one of the accomodation we booked seemed a bit odd that.

1 hour ago, Mooner said:

Accomadation charges more because of no mains water and the price of imported water is expensive.

Food is a joke. Pretty much double the price on the mainland but because its so close to Bkk and Pattaya the people just keep coming.

That's actually a plus in my book.  Time off is more precious than a few dollars and I'd gladly pay extra for a little quieter.

On a related note, what's your recommendation for a long weekend of kayaking?  Not a drinker so night life is not a consideration.  Just access to some nice paddling water, a decent kayak to rent (or I can bring my own inflatable- but that's a 2nd choice) and a soft bed.  Heavy on the soft bed.  Too old to sleep on plywood any more.

I had a blast kayaking on Koh Chang, but that drive was a killer for a weekend.  (Edit:  BTW, I define a blast in this case as paddling in very clear water, and not hearing or seeing another human being or machine from the kayak for over 2 hours of paddling)

Edited by impulse

6 minutes ago, impulse said:

That's actually a plus in my book.  Time off is more precious than a few dollars and I'd gladly pay extra for a little quieter.

On a related note, what's your recommendation for a long weekend of kayaking?  Not a drinker so night life is not a consideration.  Just access to some nice paddling water, a decent kayak to rent (or I can bring my own inflatable- but that's a 2nd choice) and a soft bed.  Heavy on the soft bed.  Too old to sleep on plywood any more.

I had a blast kayaking on Koh Chang, but that drive was a killer for a weekend.

Go east of Ban Phe to Laem Mae Phim but even on the weekend it's like a ghost town but nicest beaches in the area plus you can get a ferry to some of the small islands off the coast.

21 minutes ago, impulse said:

I had a blast kayaking on Koh Chang, but that drive was a killer for a weekend.

I would head to the end of the island. Ao Prakang area.

I've been to Samet a few times, and after the last time will never go back again, nor would I recommend it to anyone.

What is "nightlife" anyway? Discos with dancing or a party bar on the beach? "Nightlife" is meaningless- includes everything from full moon party to gogo's to having a quiet drink in a beachside bar.

If the "real" islands ( Samui, Phangan or Lanta, etc ) are too far, my recommend would be Chang, not much further to go than Samet, and way better beaches. Pretty quiet when I went, but no doubt lots more people going there now.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

33 minutes ago, impulse said:

and a soft bed.  Heavy on the soft bed.  Too old to sleep on plywood any more.

Good luck with that. Thais seem to like sleeping on equivalent of solid wood.

IMO either take a blow up mattress or a hammock.

Actually, more hotels do seem to have softer options in recent years, but I had to buy one of those topper pads to get a decent night's sleep.

For me the biggest reason to go Samet would be because of weather as it's the driest archipelago in Thailand and living just on the mainland I can tell you we get the benefit of this as well, unusually this year we did have more rain than usual at the start of rainy season but there were a few tropical storms off Vietnam & Cambodia.  

1 hour ago, sandrabbit said:

Go east of Ban Phe to Laem Mae Phim but even on the weekend it's like a ghost town but nicest beaches in the area plus you can get a ferry to some of the small islands off the coast.

Yeah, we like Lam Mae Phim. 2 hours drive from us, nice beaches, no hawkers, loads of good cheap food Thai & Western. No real bars to speak of. Plenty of cheap hotels, couple of really nice ones that are still cheap.

Lots of Thais use Mae Phim, great for DIY BBQ on the beach. Easy parking too.

Went to Koh Chang last month, have to say it was a bit of a dump so goodness knows what Koh Samet is like, never been. The only saving grace was the hotel, Serenity Beach. Lovely place although no beach to speak of.

Just now, grollies said:

Yeah, we like Lam Mae Phim. 2 hours drive from us, nice beaches, no hawkers, loads of good cheap food Thai & Western. No real bars to speak of. Plenty of cheap hotels, couple of really nice ones that are still cheap.

Went to Koh Chang last month, have to say it was a bit of a dump so goodness knows what Koh Samet is like, never been. The only saving grace was the hotel, Serenity Beach. Lovely place although no beach to speak of.

Yes Mae Phim is first class for a relaxing break. That strip of apartments and hotels over the road from the beach ideal for young families but not sure about this geezers daughters taste so not recommended for a night out but would be an ideal spot for a monster hangover.

10 minutes ago, Rc2702 said:

Yes Mae Phim is first class for a relaxing break. That strip of apartments and hotels over the road from the beach ideal for young families but not sure about this geezers daughters taste so not recommended for a night out but would be an ideal spot for a monster hangover.

Yep, great for older couples like me & wifey, terrible if you're young and looking for nightlife, non-existent, mind you, Rayong isn't too far away and that has some decent nightlife.

Edited by grollies
s&g

24 minutes ago, grollies said:

Just not having to take the crap shoot of possibly waiting for hours to get the pickup on the Koh Chang ferry makes Mae Phim appealing.  Sitting in gridlock in the hot sun while turds are constantly playing the "Gosh, I didn't know that was the line way back there, please let me cut in" game is not my idea of a fun way to spend 4 hours on a 2 or 3 day weekend.

1 hour ago, impulse said:

Just not having to take the crap shoot of possibly waiting for hours to get the pickup on the Koh Chang ferry makes Mae Phim appealing.  Sitting in gridlock in the hot sun while turds are constantly playing the "Gosh, I didn't know that was the line way back there, please let me cut in" game is not my idea of a fun way to spend 4 hours on a 2 or 3 day weekend.

Had exactly that happen coming home. Ferry breakdown, queue a mile long.........

6 hours ago, impulse said:

Split it with Hat Mae Rhumpung (3 different spellings on local road signs) where you can get a songtaew to Rayong for 25 baht, I live there, very good nightlife in Rayong city. 

3 hours ago, sandrabbit said:

Split it with Hat Mae Rhumpung (3 different spellings on local road signs) where you can get a songtaew to Rayong for 25 baht, I live there, very good nightlife in Rayong city. 

Rayong does have good nightlife. I think what the op wants is found in Ko Samet.

Although there are negative posts its a small island with decent beaches and nightlife and its small. 

Better peace of mind with young daughters when you know where they will probably be as opposed to a huge island like Ko Chang.

Lets be honest i dont think they will go for Hat Mae Rhumpung.

12 hours ago, sandrabbit said:

"Very good nightlife" can be very subjective.     Some, not me, would say hanging around Walking Street in Pattaya is their idea of very good night life while others a night out bowling and a movie is good nightlife.     So when you say "very good night life in Rayong city",  what's good about it?

5 hours ago, Spaniel said:

"Very good nightlife" can be very subjective.     Some, not me, would say hanging around Walking Street in Pattaya is their idea of very good night life while others a night out bowling and a movie is good nightlife.     So when you say "very good night life in Rayong city",  what's good about it?

Bowling and Cinema available.

No walking st but p4p available.

A 2km street parralel with the main sukhumvit full of restaurants, bars and clubs.

On ‎8‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 11:28 PM, Mooner said:

Rayong does have good nightlife. I think what the op wants is found in Ko Samet.

Although there are negative posts its a small island with decent beaches and nightlife and its small. 

Better peace of mind with young daughters when you know where they will probably be as opposed to a huge island like Ko Chang.

Lets be honest i dont think they will go for Hat Mae Rhumpung.

He doesn't have young daughters. They are both adults.