George and Amal Clooney give $1 million to combat U.S. hate groups

webfact

George and Amal Clooney give $1 million to combat U.S. hate groups

tag-reuters.jpg

FILE PHOTO: Actor George Clooney and his wife Amal pose as they arrive at the 42nd Cesar Awards ceremony in Paris, France, February 24, 2017. REUTERS/Gonzalo Fuentes/File Photo

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Actor George Clooney and his humanitarian lawyer wife, Amal Clooney, have donated $1 million to the Southern Poverty Law Center, a U.S. non-profit that monitors extremists and domestic hate groups, in response to protests in Charlottesville, Virginia earlier this month.

An Aug. 12 rally in the town organised by neo-Nazis and other white supremacists led to counter-protests and the death of a woman when a car plowed into the crowd. The street battles triggered a political crisis for President Donald Trump, who praised "very fine people" on both sides of the fight.

"What happened in Charlottesville, and what is happening in communities across our country, demands our collective engagement to stand up to hate," the Clooneys said in a joint statement.

The donation comes from the Clooney Foundation for Justice, which the couple established in 2016 to promote justice in classrooms and courtrooms around the world.

Southern Poverty Law Center President Richard Cohen thanked the Clooneys for "standing with us at this critical moment in our country's fight against hate."

(Reporting by Jill Serjeant; editing by Steve Orlofsky)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-08-23

3 minutes ago, nausea said:

Tax deductible, no doubt.

Stop trolling or receive a suspension.   The donation comes from the Clooney Foundation, which is a non-profit, so the issue of tax is not in play with either the money from the Clooney Foundation or to the non-profit they gave it to.  

The SPLC is itself a Leftist hate group that appears to label anyone right of centre as a hate group. They have a huge list of people/groups that they distribute to deplatform these groups and to stifle free speech.

You can be sure that ANTIFA is not on their list.

1 minute ago, DoctorG said:

The SPLC is itself a Leftist hate group that appears to label anyone right of centre as a hate group. They have a huge list of people/groups that they distribute to deplatform these groups and to stifle free speech.

No. The Southern Poverty Law Center is not a leftist hate group. That may be the opinion of some right wing extremists, but that doesn't make it the truth. It is true that some of their listings are controversial, but that doesn't mean that SPLC is a hate group itself. 

The Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC) is an American nonprofit legal advocacy organization specializing in civil rights and public interest litigation. Based in Montgomery, Alabama, it is noted for its successful legal cases against white supremacist groups, its classification of hate groups and other extremist organizations, and its educational programs that promote tolerance.[3][4][5] The SPLC's classification and listing of hate groups—organizations that, in its assessment, "attack or malign an entire class of people, typically for their immutable characteristics"[6]—and its labeling of certain people as extremists have been the source of some controversy.[7][8]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_Poverty_Law_Center

1 hour ago, DoctorG said:

You don't know much or perhaps this is a troll post or you are a member of a hate group? Please take a look at what they really do https://www.splcenter.org/

50 minutes ago, AgMech Cowboy said:

Well I hope this goes to fight against ALL the haters.

If there is a hate group not on their list,  I'm sure you are welcome to contact them with your reasons for their inclusion, and see if they agree. 

2 hours ago, DoctorG said:

The SPLC is itself a Leftist hate group that appears to label anyone right of centre as a hate group.

They have a huge list of people/groups that they distribute to deplatform these groups and to stifle free speech.

Just making stuff up.

Hysterical gibberish.

:coffee1:

It's not HATE. It is Dislike, and I believe that everyone has the inherent right to Like or Dislike any one, at any time, any where.

If you don't believe in that inherent right, then You have a big problem. It's called Brain Washing. Get Real.

Think about it, do You Like everyone?

I say Not.  In fact you probably don't like me, but that does not mean that you hate me. You don't even know me.

But I agree that you have the right to dislike me because of the way I look, or sound, or smell, or for no reason at all.

Your prerogative. We do still live in a free society, so stop trying to ram political correctness down everyone's throats.

It's hogwash

It's not HATE. It is Dislike, and I believe that everyone has the inherent right to Like or Dislike any one, at any time, any where.

If you don't believe in that inherent right, then You have a big problem. It's called Brain Washing. Get Real.

I say Not.  In fact you probably don't like me, but that does not mean that you hate me. You don't even know me.

But I agree that you have the right to dislike me because of the way I look, or sound, or smell, or for no reason at all.

Your prerogative. We do still live in a free society, so stop trying to ram political correctness down everyone's throats.

It's hogwash

I don't think you can credibly make such a blanket assertion. Feelings and speech are one thing. But there are lines some haters cross that are illegal and/or just wrong.

It's hogwash

Hey, I agree.

"But I agree that you have the right to dislike me because of the way I look, or sound, or smell, or for no reason at all."

Well then I can't stand the bar stool toads on soi six.

Is that not politically correct enough for you?

What a stupid, inane post.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Off-topic, inflammatory posts and replies removed.   Continued trolling will result in suspensions.  

If you have something you wish to say, then say it first rather than some conspiratorial hunt on Google.  

4 hours ago, ilostmypassword said:

I am an advocate for more police but I refuse to personally pay for entire salary of even one. I'm such a hypocrite.

I am for deportation of them, but I personally refuse to pay for their airfare.   I am such a hypocrite.