dengue fever

phycokiller

A friend of mine recently caught this from twilight mosquitoes at the beach, near Mikes. I had never heard of it in Pattaya but obviously it is here. Hes quite ill and may have to be hospitalized. So just a friendly warning

Edited by phycokiller

I stay in Pattaya (Dark side) and was affected about 4/5 years back. Spent 4/5 'wonderful' days in BPH, luckily had insurance. Not too pleasant.

My youngest son also had it about 10 years back when he was about 7yo. Again he was in BPH for about 5 days, although in their ICU unit for about 3 days as it was quite severe in his case. My eldest son was affected about 20years back - when he was about 6/7. We were in Bangkok at the time and he ended up in St Louis Hospital on Sathorn.

The mystery, to me, is that, despite having a rather large extended Thai family I am not aware of any other members on the 100% Thai side being affected in the same time frame. Obviously it does affect Thais, as the figures clearly show this, but seems to be bad luck in our case!!

Dengue usually is a problem for infants, children and old people, anyone with weakened immune systems or if there are pre-existing hematological conditions. The trick is in monitoring the blood count. When I caught it, the first blood test established the bench mark and the next one 3 days later was to see if my immune system was coping, which it was. I still felt like crap but after 10 days, I was pretty much over it.

Edited by NanLaew

Had it once.  Young newbie Dr. made to work a Sunday morning diagnosed me with early flu signs and sent me home with meds.  Then 2 days later I could hardly walk and friends practically carried me to the hospital.  Real doctor told me I had dengue fever and hooked me up in seconds to an IV and they wheeled me away before I knew it.  Spent 4 days in the hospital.  After getting settled into the room,  some older Dr.'s came asking questions to exactly everything the young doc asked me the previous Sunday like if he had listened to my breathing etc. (he had not) and making many notes.  I do think that may have been his last day there and another hospital's problem now!!

49 minutes ago, dabhand said:

I stay in Pattaya (Dark side) and was affected about 4/5 years back. Spent 4/5 'wonderful' days in BPH, luckily had insurance. Not too pleasant.

My youngest son also had it about 10 years back when he was about 7yo. Again he was in BPH for about 5 days, although in their ICU unit for about 3 days as it was quite severe in his case. My eldest son was affected about 20years back - when he was about 6/7. We were in Bangkok at the time and he ended up in St Louis Hospital on Sathorn.

The mystery, to me, is that, despite having a rather large extended Thai family I am not aware of any other members on the 100% Thai side being affected in the same time frame. Obviously it does affect Thais, as the figures clearly show this, but seems to be bad luck in our case!!

my ex g/f mom died from it 25  years ago

If you went to Government hospital, they'd get get your address or where you think you might have been bitten and there would be a crew out fumigating the drain pipes and everything in the area.

A couple of years back I had dengue and went to Memorial but I wasn't asked about my address, a few days after someone else in the soi must have had it and went to government hospital cause city hall was out fumigating the next day

2 hours ago, calexapic said:

We asked a few locals if tgey got bitten, they said only occasionally.  Must be fresh meat the mossies are into.

Have you ever felt like every mosquito within ten square miles comes buzzing straight for you as soon as you step outside? We are often asked why mosquitoes prefer some humans over others. Well, it all comes down to how good you smell (or bad, depending on your perspective).

Body odor – Bacterial colonies combined with sweat generate that sweet (if you’re a mosquito) human scent we call body odor. Without the bacteria, our sweat would be odorless; with the bacteria, our sweat is one of the more attractive scents for mosquitoes, particularly the malaria-carrying Anopheles gambiae, which prefers to bite humans. There are measures you can take like washing regularly to reduce body odor; however be careful of fragrant perfumes and scents that can also draw mosquitoes. Fresh sweat is not as attractive because it has not combined with bacteria.

https://www.mosquitnoband.com/why-do-mosquitoes-like-me-more-than-anyone-else/

8 hours ago, dabhand said:

Thalassaemia (a blood disorder) is quite common in Thailand. It actually prevents the bearer from getting Malaria and i suspect Dengue fever and some other Mosquito related disease too.

Seems to be why many of them and there ancestors are around and those who didn't have it didn't survive.

2 hours ago, Keesters said:

Had dengue fever myself and know many others who have had it. Some even ended up in hospital. Now have lots of these all over my house. They seem to do the trick. When out liberal quantities of
repellent are used.

s-l500.jpg

I'm in Sri Lanka now. Almost every hotel room has these. Big dengue problem here now.

but do you hear the Mozzies  "fry" ???

I had a couple in my Hotel room and it got one or 2 of the dumb ones :)

but there were still enough to bother you....

Worst part is they would go up in the elevator with you ,  so a fresh bunch everyday !

Edited by oldcarguy

2 hours ago, Keesters said:

Had dengue fever myself and know many others who have had it. Some even ended up in hospital. Now have lots of these all over my house. They seem to do the trick. When out liberal quantities of
repellent are used.

s-l500.jpg

whereto get those?

12 hours ago, mushroomdave said:

Had it once.  Young newbie Dr. made to work a Sunday morning diagnosed me with early flu signs and sent me home with meds.  Then 2 days later I could hardly walk and friends practically carried me to the hospital.  Real doctor told me I had dengue fever and hooked me up in seconds to an IV and they wheeled me away before I knew it.  Spent 4 days in the hospital.  After getting settled into the room,  some older Dr.'s came asking questions to exactly everything the young doc asked me the previous Sunday like if he had listened to my breathing etc. (he had not) and making many notes.  I do think that may have been his last day there and another hospital's problem now!!

Wrong ! He is still there and still as stupid as when he was born !

3 hours ago, Keesters said:

// Now have lots of these all over my house. They seem to do the trick. //

Here is another advantage to live in a rather high condo unit (at least 10th floor). Mosquitos are usually to lazy to fly that high. :smile:

1 hour ago, bberrythailand said:

Going to hospital for dengue when you actually just need to wait in your bed ?

Better to get the diagnosis and subsequent blood counts. Some people are unaware that they have a pre-existing medical condition until they catch dengue or malaria. Then it's pretty much a mandatory 3-5 day hospital stay if your are reasonably fit, longer if you have serious complications.

13 hours ago, crazyk said:

I got dengue fever 20 years ago in argentina.you will not get it on the beach.its carried by mossies in urban areas & during the day.it was rife on the darkside a few years ago

my friend got it from the beach, only place he goes apart from high rise aircon condo

13 hours ago, crazyk said:

I got dengue fever 20 years ago in argentina.you will not get it on the beach.its carried by mossies in urban areas & during the day.it was rife on the darkside a few years ago

A certain amount of validity in your comment regarding the beach. The dengue virus is carried by a different variety as opposed to your common or garden mossie. They are smaller and supposedly more intelligent in that they are attracted to humans rather than any warm blooded animal in the vicinity. Unfortunately this is a case of no safety in numbers, in this day and age the dengue mossie can travel around the country just as easy as you and I.

I got dengue about 8 years ago from a mosquito bite in the toilets of a Pattaya establishment that was one of the original buffet breakfasts. Didn't need to see a doctor just had the platelet count checked at a lab clinic. Took about 10 days to get over it,not a pleasant experience.

It is only female mossies that bite, surprise. surprise. The Aussies are looking are looking at combating the disease through genetic modification to try and ensure that only male mosquitoes are reproduced, but that is a long way off.

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

Better to get the diagnosis and subsequent blood counts. Some people are unaware that they have a pre-existing medical condition until they catch dengue or malaria. Then it's pretty much a mandatory 3-5 day hospital stay if your are reasonably fit, longer if you have serious complications.

There is no recognised course of action other than a platelet count, its a case by case situation.

When my niece had it she was admitted due to dehydration. Had a saline drip overnight and sent home.

15 hours ago, digbeth said:

If you went to Government hospital, they'd get get your address or where you think you might have been bitten and there would be a crew out fumigating the drain pipes and everything in the area.

A couple of years back I had dengue and went to Memorial but I wasn't asked about my address, a few days after someone else in the soi must have had it and went to government hospital cause city hall was out fumigating the next day

3 hours ago, bberrythailand said:

Going to hospital for dengue when you actually just need to wait in your bed ?

I had dengue fever about 5 years ago and was treated at Bangkok Hospital Pattaya for a few days with an IV drip. They did get my address for a report to the local government. The next day, when they received the results of another blood test (done in Bangkok) to identify the strain, they did a second report.  A few days after returning home, I had a message left in my mail box from the City noting they had sprayed the area.

The Pattaya City Expats Club had a recent speaker on the subject of Dengue fever. You can read a summary in the Pattaya Mail at: http://www.pattayamail.com/ourcommunity/dengue-fever-serious-disease-183639 or you can view the presentation on YouTube at:

One of the things the presenter mentioned was the need to seek medical attention because it could be the more serious  hemorrhagic variety.

3 hours ago, MrJ said:

whereto get those?

Got mine from eBay

3 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:

Here is another advantage to live in a rather high condo unit (at least 10th floor). Mosquitos are usually to lazy to fly that high. :smile:

Mosquitoes have more sense than to fly into a fire trap. I'll keep my feet on the ground thank you.