3000 baht quarterly bribe for education visa?!

soistalker

Just now, timendres said:

My son is has a Masters degree in linguistics from the US. He has specifically travelled to countries to enroll and learn the language locally due to the value of "immersion" in that language. He learns faster, picks up slang and idioms that would never be taught in a classroom in the States, and gains a cultural context that would otherwise be missing. He does plan to enroll in Thailand at some point in the future specifically to learn Thai.

The point being that, in general, your statement that "People do not come to Thailand to learn Thai." has some merit, but it is not absolutely true.

My statement has "some" merit - yes indeed, in 99,99% of all cases.

But I admit that I forgot the linguistics experts....

And multiple entry tourist visas (obtained in home country, extended and renewed) allow many months of stay in Thailand, enough for the average linguistics expert I would think.

1 hour ago, oldhippy said:

You are missing the point.

The OP was complaining that he was asked to pay under the table for his ED visa.

It is ridiculous and hypocritical to compain that the school and immigration do not respect the rules if you yourself do not respect the rules.

The students arent the ones who have to enforce the rules, the schools and immigration are supposed to be the ones enforcing the rules

Edited by ilovebkk12345

i can believe this somehow

i went to N-section at immigration not for any education related visa extension as they also do a few other visa extensions etc.

Anyway the staff seem to be much more on the take now than i have seen in many years. Agents inside the quiet room with imm. officials, desks for other visas taken over by agents and officialls with countless passports but no passport holders, agents walking to the front of the line without any tickets, imm. Its just become the slowest section of all because of their more corrupt ways recently. What should take 1 hour now can take 3 hours.

23 minutes ago, ilovebkk12345 said:

Why does this bother you so much grandpa?

how does people abusing education visa affect your life?

theres ALOT more serious things people are doing here, why don't you focus on something mor important. 

Well kid, it bothers me so much because we all pay the price.

Immigration laws and officials are becoming more difficult for all because of the few.

And immigration officials on the take will not be helpfull to those of us who play by the rules.

But since you mention there are more serious things wrong here, I will assume that you are a good kid, a little confused, but a good kid nevertheless.

What more serious wrongdoing is going on here, according to you? Tell us kid.

Now finish your homework kid, and off to bed!

38 minutes ago, ilovebkk12345 said:

Why does this bother you so much grandpa?

how does people abusing education visa affect your life?

theres ALOT more serious things people are doing here, why don't you focus on something mor important. 

I'm married to a Thai and never did anything wrong, also not when applying for a visa. 

But last years the rules get more strict every time again, it's unbelievable what i have to bring copied on paper. And even when i bring everything mentioned on the embassywebsite they still have problems and ask for more paperwork to be delivered asap.

I don't like to be treated like a criminal but i have no other choice.  In the past getting a new visa was done in 3 hours and now it is 10 days...plus another day to prepare all the paperwork.

51 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

Well kid, it bothers me so much because we all pay the price.

Immigration laws and officials are becoming more difficult for all because of the few.

And immigration officials on the take will not be helpfull to those of us who play by the rules.

But since you mention there are more serious things wrong here, I will assume that you are a good kid, a little confused, but a good kid nevertheless.

What more serious wrongdoing is going on here, according to you? Tell us kid.

Now finish your homework kid, and off to bed!

Oh not much more serious issues. This is the top of the top. You're right. 

The carnage on the roads, deaths, speeding, dangerous drivers everywhere. Scooters. Kids with no helmets. 

Not it to mention health and safety of the food products and the care for them and the handling of them. 

Not to mention all the corruption. 

But ya a guy trying to stay a year on an education visa because there are no other options for them, that's way more important to worry about. 

Crazy to to think people stay up late stressed out about this with much more serious issues here. Lol

Edited by ilovebkk12345

17 minutes ago, ilovebkk12345 said:

Oh not much more serious issues. This is the top of the top. You're right. 

The carnage on the roads, deaths, speeding, dangerous drivers everywhere. Scooters. Kids with no helmets. 

Not it to mention health and safety of the food products and the care for them and the handling of them. 

Not to mention all the corruption. 

But ya a guy trying to stay a year on an education visa because there are no other options for them, that's way more important to worry about. 

Crazy to to think people stay up late stressed out about this with much more serious issues here. Lol

Kid, you mention corruption.

Don't you think, kid, that visa abusers feed that monster?

Reread the OP perhaps?

You seem to think that you have the god given right to stay in Thailand, well do African or Asian kids have the divine right to stay in your home country kid?

8 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

Reread the OP perhaps?

You seem to think that you have the god given right to stay in Thailand, well do African or Asian kids have the divine right to stay in your home country kid?

Please tell me when I said or implied I have the god given right to stay in Thailand?

pretty hypocritical of you to say that. 

And to compare corruption to a guy on an education visa who doesn't attend school is a big stretch. 

Also, care to show any proof that people on ed visas are affecting your visa? Where is the solid proof?

the only one making it harder for foreigners to live here is this 'supreme leader' who hates farangs

12 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

Reread the OP perhaps?

And yes in my country they take pretty much any one (Canada). But nice try :smile:

I think many of these schools are set up as money mills. Classes are taught by rote and everyone passes. Class time is like being in detention hall with jokes etc.

i opted to travel instead rather then spend three days a week getting up early going to a class which seemed like it would be a waste of time. 

You use your time to full advantage. If your going this route get into a university class where u can at least gain something out of your time.

many of the univ have thai-eng classes where anyone can go without formal admission that satisfy the ed hourly requirement

Edited by Jim Turner Mad Punx

Corruption within the alma mater exists worldwide....

Some of my female friends, university graduates in Europe, love to brag here and there how they slept their way through [with the lucky professors] towards their degree on some catchy courses!!:cheesy:

It's only the price that changes, depending if it's in a 1st, 2nd or 3rd world country....and perhaps in the west, it is a bit more subtle or discreet.....

I recall of this girl in my class in Europe who's dad was a high profile private banker and a top level contributor to a philantrophic fund of the faculty...she rarely attended and was a total nut!.. but by a divine grace, her grades were on top 10!...Good for her and that's life...

Edited by observer90210

On 8/24/2017 at 9:32 PM, oldhippy said:

Every farang that uses an ED visa to stay in Thailand is abusing the spirit of visa regulations.

Complaining about corruption surrounding these semi legal activities is ridiculous.

It is of course a good idea to learn Thai if you stay in Thailand long time - but in that case you should already have a proper visa.

I wouldn't say every, I know a guy that was living in Thailand staying on a ED visa and was studying at a Thai University. 

Sounds like your a backpacker and do not qualify for retirement or non-o visa. I would ask myself why am I learning Thai?

You answer, I don't know? Well in that case you'll have to pay the 3000 baht bribe to stay or go home! Sounds reasonable to me!

On 25/08/2017 at 9:35 AM, impulse said:

I'm always amused by the policy of giving out visas for people to learn a language that will be of no use except in the country where they otherwise have no permission to stay.

There are hot Thai chicks working all over Asia and in the West.

Perhaps they'll get married to a Thai and actually be able to have a deep conversation with them. That'll then solve the permission to stay issue.

Edited by jspill

12 hours ago, ericthai said:

I agree with old hippie.  No speculations,  I guess you haven't been in Thailand that long.to see the changes. Immigration has been steadily changing rules, fines, bans etc due to people living full time on visa exempt and TV.  Getting any type of visa used to so simple. I used to be able to get a non-B mulit entry visa with just a letter from a Thai company that I was coming to Thailand for business. Now you have to have complete company docs, letter from the ministry of labor etc. So even guys that follow the rules are now having to jump through more hoops. Overstay was no big deal, they clamped down on that. border runs for visa exempt they clamped down on that.    

That could be explained by other factors - like the current military government. During previous ones the situation with visas was just as hard now if not worse, according to TVF posters who lived here then (before my time). Then it got better, so it's entirely possible everything gets easier again at some future point, and you don't have to get your ministry of labor letter / full set of company docs any longer. 

There's also never actually been a statement to the effect of 'we're changing things because of people living here too long on tourists visas and exempts'. That's a misnomer. It's actually always been down to illegal workers and criminals. (Plus the military enforcing rules that already existed but didn't get enforced before.)

There are no set limits in law to how long one can 'be a tourist'. Being one for too long isn't a thing.

Neither is being a student who pays for their course but their heart isn't really in it and they just want to live here, an issue.

During the Ed visa crackdown of 2014-5 all the official statements about it talked about illegal workers and criminals being on Ed visas. Nothing about 'using Ed visa to live here'. If you pay for the course and attend, you get to live here, simple as that. 

Example statements refer to criminals and drug dealers and simply ask that students study longer hours. 

TvEdl5w.png

Original Thai: 

Those that actually work illegally / commit crimes are the ones making things worse for everyone, not those who simply use lots of tourist visa / exempts / study Thai. They're not the same thing. That's a false equivalency perpetuated by some angry types on Thaivisa.

Edited by jspill

11 hours ago, jspill said:

That could be explained by other factors - like the current military government. During previous ones the situation with visas was just as hard now if not worse, according to TVF posters who lived here then (before my time). Then it got better, so it's entirely possible everything gets easier again at some future point, and you don't have to get your ministry of labor letter / full set of company docs any longer. 

There's also never actually been a statement to the effect of 'we're changing things because of people living here too long on tourists visas and exempts'. That's a misnomer. It's actually always been down to illegal workers and criminals. (Plus the military enforcing rules that already existed but didn't get enforced before.)

There are no set limits in law to how long one can 'be a tourist'. Being one for too long isn't a thing.

Neither is being a student who pays for their course but their heart isn't really in it and they just want to live here, an issue.

During the Ed visa crackdown of 2014-5 all the official statements about it talked about illegal workers and criminals being on Ed visas. Nothing about 'using Ed visa to live here'. If you pay for the course and attend, you get to live here, simple as that. 

Example statements refer to criminals and drug dealers and simply ask that students study longer hours. 

TvEdl5w.png

Original Thai: 

Those that actually work illegally / commit crimes are the ones making things worse for everyone, not those who simply use lots of tourist visa / exempts / study Thai. They're not the same thing. That's a false equivalency perpetuated by some angry types on Thaivisa.

I agree with some of what you say.  Thailand has always said if you want to stay in Thailand get the correct visa.  I've been working and living in Thailand since mid 90's believe me it has changed allot.  For a non-B visa you need to have a letter from the ministry of Labor or a current work permit along with all the corporate papers and tax documents. As I said I used to only have a letter from a potential employer.  Overstaying used to be no big deal, fine used to be 200B a day. In mid 2000's it jumped up to 500B day. Then in what 2015/2016 the ban started for overstaying.  I dont see things changing with immigration relaxing anything and I dont see that the military has done anything different from the government. 

On 8/26/2017 at 7:50 AM, gamini said:

Exactly right,  most of the farangs are abusing the system in order to stay here. So they are just as corrupt as the immigration officers. 

Nonsense.  They're playing the system.  You can argue they're doing something wrong, but they're doing nothing illegal.  Taking and giving bribes is illegal and is punishable with serious jail time, as we saw last week.  Completely different.

A baiting troll post and reply have been removed.

If you are addressing another member please use their user names, not something that you deem appropriate, thank you.

Funny comments.

my farang wife and I bought a condo here. We plan to retire here. We want to start a business which would require giving direction to Thai employees who will not speak English. 

I want to get a legal visa to study here. I don't want to get scammed and I don't want to pay money to little people who abuse their government positions to get handouts. 

I feel dirty to be involved in this kind of thing.

6 hours ago, soistalker said:

Funny comments.

my farang wife and I bought a condo here. We plan to retire here. We want to start a business which would require giving direction to Thai employees who will not speak English. 

I want to get a legal visa to study here. I don't want to get scammed and I don't want to pay money to little people who abuse their government positions to get handouts. 

I feel dirty to be

involved in this kind of thing.

Thus welcome to LOS and way of the Thai (Some)

12 hours ago, Rhys said:

Thus welcome to LOS and way of the Thai (Some)

Thanks. I've been coming here several times a year for about 20 years. I finally figured out how to stay here. 

But I figured out about LOS and everything it is here, thanks in great part to this website, and others.

when I hear that I am a sexy man, I still believe it though.?