Supreme Court jails Boonsong 42 years on G-to-G rice deal

webfact

4 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Well do you believe boonsong is innocent?

Well that's a good question. I have not sat and heard all the evidence and not spent the required 100s hours sifting through all the accounts so I can honestly say 'I don't know'.

What I can say is after Drummond, Koh Tao, FB likes, Jonathan Head, Red Bull and all the rest is that.... and you know I can't say it but you get the point. I just don't like posters hypocrisy.  

Edited by LannaGuy

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, LannaGuy said:

Well that's a good question. I have not sat and heard all the evidence and not spent the required 100s hours sifting through all the accounts so I can honestly say 'I don't know'.

What I can say is After Drummond, Koh Tao, FB likes, Jonathan Head, Red Bull and all the rest is that.... and you know I can't say it but you get the point.

No.

6 hours ago, roamer said:

Some of us feel the same way about some of you. :smile:

Lol, thank you for the imaginary flowers:smile: - but I am no Public Political Thai Figure -

anyway -

I saw Yingluck as a completely unqualified, unfit and overburdened - overwhelmed puppet on a string in her position.

She surely did not know what to do or to say without the people and her brother who called the shots

and would never ever been such a Political figure without him. 

51 minutes ago, impulse said:

Mom told me if I can't say something nice...  I dug deep and found something nice to say.  Tongue in cheek though it was.

Had nothing to do with my trousers.

My Mom said - "When something is wrong - bring it out - show it and hit it hard!"  :tongue:

1 minute ago, LannaGuy said:

Good morning Alfredo it's ok some just accept what a Military Junta tells them and some do not. Nice to know you have faith in the Thai Courts, keep it up!

Good morning -LannaGuy- 

I saw Yingluck as a very naive, completely unqualified, unfit and overburdened - overwhelmed puppet on a string in her position.

She surely did not know what to do or to say without the people and her brother who called the shots

She signed what was given to her from the string pullers - that is at least neglect. :post-4641-1156694606:

I am not in complete favor of the politic situation in Thailand - but its better then to have a from Thaksin influenced Party on the Top of the Parliament.

Yes, its not always perfect - but often better - then otherwise.  :smile: 

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

Karma at last,

They all thought they were fire-proof while in power... screwing the country out of millions of baht in one of the most corrupt self help schemes ever launched by a government.

Out of power & beyond Shinawtras help they're being prosecuted by the courts for the crimes they committed..

Unfortunately the loyal Red brain dead followers who cannot see the truth let alone except it can cry all the way back to the north...

Even pretty girl has fled the country before being sentenced, she played the game all the way then did the proverbial family runner, knowing full well she is as guilty as hell for corruption.

I agree with all you say except for Yingluck, I don't know of course but my gut reaction is that she was guilty of incompetence and in the amnesty case she was guilty of misuse of power and conspiracy. She was never a politician and should never have held the post of PM, she had a name and a powerful brother,she was way in over her incapable head.

16 hours ago, Fumanchang said:

42 years is an insane sentence in this instance. 

And 700 billion baht (approx 20 billion US$) is not an insane figure ?

Actually it's what Bernie Madoff actually stole, and it made world news, didn't it ? He was sentenced for life. You don't think that's normal either ?

If the argument is 'it's only money', then it's a very specious one, because it's not. When high placed individuals steal enormous amounts of money, a lot of human suffering is incurred, so no, it's not just a matter of figures.

Edited by Yann55

Posts containing comments in violation of the following have been removed:

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

11) You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

14 minutes ago, ALFREDO said:

Good morning -LannaGuy- 

I saw Yingluck as a very naive, completely unqualified, unfit and overburdened - overwhelmed puppet on a string in her position.

She signed what was given to her from the string pullers - that is at least neglect. :post-4641-1156694606:

I am not in complete favor of the politic situation in Thailand - but its better then to have a from Thaksin influenced Party on the Top of the Parliament.

Well, Alfredo, we all see things differently don't we? The Junta's done a great job at fooling some of the people anyway!  :coffee1:

1 hour ago, LannaGuy said:

Why lie Craig?  Thailand does NOT execute please retract and apologise

These people sure hope you are right. You can apologize anytime.

http://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-updates/incidents/antonio-bagnato-sentenced-to-death-over-abduction-and-murder-in-thailand/news-story/342c741a69fd59db0e050d7218b73bcb

https://www.rt.com/news/385685-spaniard-death-penalty-murder-thailand/

18 minutes ago, LannaGuy said:

Well, Alfredo, we all see things differently don't we? The Junta's done a great job at fooling some of the people anyway!  :coffee1:

Yes - but Thaksin did too, for long, even from outside TH.

I have a problem with him,  since he was the first and ONLY! provider of Mobile phone services in TH for some years -

around 1997+

how the hell, did he got that first license - at all?:blink:

Most Countries I know, the first license was given to the Government phone Company - surely so in Democratic Germany and Austria. :smile:

Then he had not only the right to charge per Minute to his liking but also had a monopoly - for some time with AIS as sole Importer of Mobile phones too - a nice Nokia costed therfore, to fill Thaksin Companies pockets,

1998, 30.000 Baht in TH, far more then in Europe! -:post-4641-1156694606:

He surely had a Good heart for his poor Country folks and good crazy wealthy! :tongue:

He brought also the a good part from him owned Air Asia Thailand  inside the Thai Market - as a Thai Prime Minister -talk about -Conflict of interest? lol :post-4641-1156694606:

Edited by ALFREDO

44 minutes ago, ALFREDO said:

Good morning -LannaGuy- 

I agree with most of what you write but isn't the 'from Thaksin influenced party on top of parliament' the same situation that we have today and in the future (grey eminence behind the PM) the military rules now and when there are 'free' elections the military will continue to pull the strings, their influence is all pervading.

34 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

I agree with most of what you write but isn't the 'from Thaksin influenced party on top of parliament' the same situation that we have today and in the future (grey eminence behind the PM) the military rules now and when there are 'free' elections the military will continue to pull the strings, their influence is all pervading.

Sometimes - you have to choose between 2 or more, not perfect solutions,

what you prefer more :blink: - 

What I recognized until now, I like the current situation and possibly a bit "tainted" situation after a new election still more, then the -Thaksin-in the Ring again one. 

Difficult - to have it perfect - look to the USA,

I liked the change there, but - that POTUS does really look for any opportunity to -drop a brick-  or -to commit a (small) blunder-  :tongue:

Edited by ALFREDO

I can't believe how many people here are just blindly bashing anything about Thailand. Clearly you didn't even bother look into details. For your info this 42-year sentence is not just for one crime. MULTIPLE crimes he committed, including submitting falsified documents and lying in the court. Lying in the court alone will get you up to 2 years.   

If you are complaining about this sentencing, then what do you have to say about the US. Criminals committed scam or tax frauds in serious amount receive 50 years to hundreds of years. I say all these people deserve every single year they were sentenced.

8 minutes ago, sitti said:

I can't believe how many people here are just blindly bashing anything about Thailand. Clearly you didn't even bother look into details. For your info this 42-year sentence is not just for one crime. MULTIPLE crimes he committed, including submitting falsified documents and lying in the court. Lying in the court alone will get you up to 2 years.   

If you are complaining about this sentencing, then what do you have to say about the US. Criminals committed scam or tax frauds in serious amount receive 50 years to hundreds of years. I say all these people deserve every single year they were sentenced.

Thailand is one huge, almost entirely, across-the-board, cluster-fuch. We're talking, education, police, religion, driving, emotional maturity, intellectual curiosity, politically, financially, etc., and I think most people get this. So, anyone looking into the details is either Thai, or they drank the kool-aid.

It's not like you're going to change anything. Whom, in their right mind, would bother?

4 hours ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

Most popular view is she would have got a suspended sentence of 10 years, been fined whatever they can grab (all assets) and disqualified from politics for life.

Which would be about right.

I agree with your assessment, Guilty of negligence (and thus loss of face)  for looking the other way, a long-ban from politics and perhaps a token fine, but nothing like the sentences handed out to her political colleagues who perpetrated the swindles.

That would IMO have been fair, if the judges weren't tempted to go overboard.  I wonder what she was told she was going to get, however ?

However we're often told, not least by Yingluck herself, that the purpose of the rice-scheme was to help the poorest farmers, so what should the sentence be for people who knowingly defrauded their own party's scheme to do that ?

Thus deliberately reducing the funds remaining for the original/claimed-purpose, and helping cause the scheme to crash, all at the public expense ?

I only hope that message gets across to the people of Isaan, who deserved better than they got, from their leaders within PTP.  Then they might learn from this expensive lesson.

Edited by Ricardo

18 hours ago, Fumanchang said:

42 years is an insane sentence in this instance. 

A friend of mine who was involved with ATM fraud was sentence to 25 years in jail. He was in Khlong Prem prison for 6 years before being release and deported. He had his sentence reduce by half twice for good behavior before he got the royal pardon this year.

6 minutes ago, khounteen said:

These prosecutions smells of political meddling by you know who.

No, there was wrong doing and it had to be punished but let punishment go across the board for all parties and all post holders no matter how high. Red Bull still leaves a bad taste in the mouth as do corrupt lawyers, corrupt courts and corrupt incompetent police, the ball has started rolling, let it continue.

2 hours ago, ALFREDO said:

Yes - but Thaksin did too, for long, even from outside TH.

I have a problem with him,  since he was the first and ONLY! provider of Mobile phone services in TH for some years -

around 1997+

how the hell, did he got that first license - at all?:blink:

Most Countries I know, the first license was given to the Government phone Company - surely so in Democratic Germany and Austria. :smile:

It was actually back in 1986 when Thaksin got his monopoly contract to operate GSM 900 through his contacts in the military. So those who keep on saying how corrupt the army is, Thaksin has his own allies and are in the same bed. What makes him worse is that he has the police on his side too. Once he became prime minister, he promoted his buddies to many top positions, hence that was the rise of police having great influence in Thailand.

It's obviously time for 2 kinds of people in the 'red' camp' to wake up and see Shin politics for what they really are and have always been :

1/ The lieutenants, who are now going to jail with big fat sentences while their superiors simply run away to live the good life abroad.

2/ The 'base', who actually believed that this lady was a strong moral example as she seemed ready to face the music and fight.

If I were a poor Esarn farmer right now I would feel betrayed, cheated, and fooled, big time.

Right from the start, Thaksin played the poor Esarn farmers like a cheap violin. An easy task, because on the other side, the oligarchy who'd been ruling and exploiting the country for decades never bothered to show the least interest in poor people. They saw them as a mere reservoir of cheap labour, domestic help, and inexpensive prostitutes.

Thaksin's 'genius' boiled down to one shrewd observation : this 'reservoir' of people also happened to have a right to vote, they felt abandoned and angry, so the populist stance was bound to work. And it did. Even now, a lot (majority?) of these 'base' supporters can't bring themselves to see how deeply screwed they've been, because it was the only dream they could cling to : that Santa Klaus from the North, all dressed in red, who said he would shower them with presents. Christmas every day of the year. A billionaire turned champion of the destitutes .... What poor person wouldn't want to dream that dream, against all odds, even when it's clear that Santa is just another con artist ?

Edited by Yann55

39 minutes ago, Yann55 said:

It's obviously time for 2 kinds of people in the 'red' camp' to wake up and see Shin politics for what they really are and have always been :

1/ The lieutenants, who are now going to jail with big fat sentences while their superiors simply run away to live the good life abroad.

2/ The 'base', who actually believed that this lady was a strong moral example as she seemed ready to face the music and fight.

If I were a poor Esarn farmer right now I would feel betrayed, cheated, and fooled, big time.

Right from the start, Thaksin played the poor Esarn farmers like a cheap violin. An easy task, because on the other side, the oligarchy who'd been ruling and exploiting the country for decades never bothered to show the least interest in poor people. They saw them as a mere reservoir of cheap labour, domestic help, and inexpensive prostitutes.

Thaksin's 'genius' boiled down to one shrewd observation : this 'reservoir' of people also happened to have a right to vote, they felt abandoned and angry, so the populist stance was bound to work. And it did. Even now, a lot (majority?) of these 'base' supporters can't bring themselves to see how deeply screwed they've been, because it was the only dream they could cling to : that Santa Klaus from the North, all dressed in red, who said he would shower them with presents. Christmas every day of the year. A billionaire turned champion of the destitutes .... What poor person wouldn't want to dream that dream, against all odds, even when it's clear that Santa is just another con artist ?

As much as I dislike Thaksin, Thaksin was a good change for Thai politics. He did bring in change to help the poor, as well as many new contributions to the economy. But sadly he fell to the dark side when he became too greedy.

Same goes for Prayuth in power now, its not good, but its  another good change for the current stale political scene.

54 minutes ago, mike324 said:

As much as I dislike Thaksin, Thaksin was a good change for Thai politics. He did bring in change to help the poor, as well as many new contributions to the economy. But sadly he fell to the dark side when he became too greedy.

Same goes for Prayuth in power now, its not good, but its  another good change for the current stale political scene.

"...Thaksin was a good change for Thai politics. He did bring in change to help the poor, as well as many new contributions to the economy. ..."

"...Thaksin was a good change for Thai politics...."

Well he successfully divided all Thai into two groups who were quickly taught to               hate each other, plus quickly established his own ruthless gang of thugs, plus

bought power in the parliament by employing a gang of thieves who were paid a

personal not small salary by the paymaster and well as receiving a state parliament       salary but none of them, over many years ever made a speech, none of them ever

tabled even one suggestion for new / improved policies or laws, and they all voted

(said yes sir) as ordered by their boss. Nice changes indeed -  all making the young

folks of Thailand totally confused about what democracy means and what is looks

like. 

"...He did bring in change to help the poor, ..."

Not true, how many poor farmers now enjoy a good quality of life / are typical

middle income families?  Answer - very very small numbers - the families who had

privileged access to rice milling, transport, etc.

"...many new contributions to the economy. ..."  

Perhaps you mean things like ordering Thai banks to loan billions to the Myanmar

state so that Myanmar had money to buy the paymasters products! Totally

immoral and unethical, but he had no hesitation to do it. 

Edited by scorecard