Yingluck ‘may seek UK asylum

rooster59

4 minutes ago, 473geo said:

Many misinterpret the consequence of this departure

The way is clear for the current government to move on and make Thailand successful, the current government is at the helm 3 years already, the pressure is on now, more than ever, to deliver

I wish them well for the sake of Thailand

Do you mean the presence of YL in Thailand has prevented the Junta to "move on" during the last 3 years of absolute power? :coffee1:

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, candide said:

Do you mean the presence of YL in Thailand has prevented the Junta to "move on" during the last 3 years of absolute power? :coffee1:

Not really, the closing of the chapter has finally allowed the opening of a new one where there is no diversion for the government, now it is really up to them to meet the requirements of the Thai people. 

3 minutes ago, 473geo said:

Not really, the closing of the chapter has finally allowed the opening of a new one where there is no diversion for the government, now it is really up to them to meet the requirements of the Thai people. 

Don't worry, they will find other diversions: the remaining red shirts and PTP, the New Democracy movement (or what is left of it) and various other conspiracies.......

22 minutes ago, candide said:

That is a loaded question. The Reds are but a minor concern given the vagaries of the unknown regarding the Economic Malaise and subsequent National insurrection that has infected every country on the planet.

I doubt the UK is going to want to subscribe to the whole elitist privilege thing by granting her "asylum", as if she were some kind of hounded refugee in fear for her life instead of a justice-evading princess.  They know and everybody knows she can just join her brother and live quite comfortably there in Dubai.  If they do grant it, Britain can probably count on SOME kind of tit-for-tat.  She's simply not worth it.  Countries don't like it when other countries grant sanctuary to their fugitives; it kind of stinks up the tea parties.

I actually think fleeing was a bad move on her part.  What she would've gained/recovered in political capital would've been more than worth the adverse sentencing and even some incarceration which would've been short-lived and with special treatment (some kind of home custody I'm guessing) if it had materialized at all.   Now all she's accomplished is to have given the Thai public a view of her backside and transformed what was a single black sheep into a high-profile family blacklist.

27 minutes ago, hawker9000 said:

I doubt the UK is going to want to subscribe to the whole elitist privilege thing by granting her "asylum", as if she were some kind of hounded refugee in fear for her life instead of a justice-evading princess.  They know and everybody knows she can just join her brother and live quite comfortably there in Dubai.  If they do grant it, Britain can probably count on SOME kind of tit-for-tat.  She's simply not worth it.  Countries don't like it when other countries grant sanctuary to their fugitives; it kind of stinks up the tea parties.

I actually think fleeing was a bad move on her part.  What she would've gained/recovered in political capital would've been more than worth the adverse sentencing and even some incarceration which would've been short-lived and with special treatment (some kind of home custody I'm guessing) if it had materialized at all.   Now all she's accomplished is to have given the Thai public a view of her backside and transformed what was a single black sheep into a high-profile family blacklist.

She is a victim of circumstances, after all she is not a genuine politician cum statesperson is she

Edited by oldlakey

3 minutes ago, oldlakey said:

She is a victim of circumstances, after all she is not a genuine politician cum statesperson is she

LOL.  I think most people would agree that an ex-PM certainly qualifies as "statesperson" AND "politician".   (Just maybe not a particularly good one or honest one...)

Edited by hawker9000

11 minutes ago, inThailand said:

She was a willing puppet of a convicted criminal.

It is ironic, she was to expunge him so he could return and now she's in the same boat.

And even more ironic the Junta give themselves immunity from worse things than she ever did! You hammer her for trying to get immunity but say nothing when the Junta successfully (for now) does!   explain that one (go on I know you'll try)  :coffee1:

I would suggest quite to the contrary.

Asylum can these days take many forms, from the desperate economic refugee from some SubSaharan hell hole to the wealthy business tycoon who has crossed Vladimir Putin.

She is the last elected Prime Minster of a country now ruled by a junta installed by a coup, a coup staged whilst she was standing for re-election. She has left (or possibly effectively been forced to leave) because of the threat of imprisonment, in a jail system which has seen several "sudden deaths" and unexplained and incredible suicides since the junta took power. A jail sentence which moreover would have been handed out by a court which has just jailed two ministers from her administration for 42 and 36 years respectively. I'm sure that the UK government will take a less than sanguine view of that courts political impartiality. Her family have significant assets in the UK. She will not be a burden on the UK taxpayer.

They will let her live in the UK if she wishes.

We will know soon enough when (if ever) she is seen again.

8 hours ago, calexapic said:

Hey I'm no sycophant. Particularly when it comes to the lesser of 2 evils. I just can't see how Prayut can come out of this looking good. 

So she paid her way out, through an underling who no one could blame for taking a bribe? He can't keep his ranks in order or maybe cannot afford to? Face lost. But he isn't going to prosecute the one suspected of helping her flee? Stinks 

Or she was aided by the regime, from the top, as they knew jailing her would mean a resurgence of the Shin support, which they can ill afford. Masked as a getaway without their knowledge, well they still look a bit shit. Face lost.

Or she got away pure and simple, they are incompetent. Face decimated.

Any which way the junta look like clowns. Where she is and how she got there is irrelevant.

As an add on, as some other wise soul said... it matters not what we think. Junta and shins alike don't care about our thoughts or opinions. They will continue to do as they please. Unfortunately at the expense of the Thai people they assume to serve.

Never intended to suggest you were, but as you can see by the responses that followed, the prediction was quite accurate.

Do you know of any Thai ranks that could be trusted when someone offers them, say, a million baht? At best they would have 2 or 3 on each gate of a large compound, and with no definite time attached to her exit, they have plausible deniability.

8 hours ago, baboon said:

That's just out and out bloody rude. Rude and a very cheap shot at a Dutch poster.

I don't get along with robblok a good deal of the time, but I hope I would not stoop that low.

A dutch poster who misrepresents what is written either doesn't understand the language or is trolling for response. Do you believe "I tend to the supposition" means that I believes "most definitely" or "must have" occurred? If so I can only suggest a course in remedial English yourself.

4 minutes ago, halloween said:

A dutch poster who misrepresents what is written either doesn't understand the language or is trolling for response. Do you believe "I tend to the supposition" means that I believes "most definitely" or "must have" occurred? If so I can only suggest a course in remedial English yourself.

You are rude, dismissive and aggressive to anyone who does not hold your point of view.

8 hours ago, Becker said:

How about addressing the point I made instead of your usual boring deflections?

I know - too much to ask for.

Your point was that protest was allowed under Yingluk but not the junta. Protesters under the junta may be arrested, protesters under Yingluk were regularly shot at, bombed, injured and killed by her supporters while the BIB refused to intervene. Stray rounds killed at least 6 not even involved with the protest.

Hooray for red democracy!

1 minute ago, LannaGuy said:

You are rude, dismissive and aggressive to anyone who does not hold your point of view.

In your opinion. Do I misquote you, misrepresent what you write, or tell obvious lies about what you have posted? If I ever do, castigate me and I will apologise, something apparently too difficult for said troll.

2 minutes ago, halloween said:

In your opinion. Do I misquote you, misrepresent what you write, or tell obvious lies about what you have posted? If I ever do, castigate me and I will apologise, something apparently too difficult for said troll.

You are rude Halloween and there is no need for it. You treat alternative opinion as if we are stupid, 'Shin fans' or whatever. You can make some sound points but they are dismissed by your overbearing style IMHO. None of us 100% right and we all have bias but we can debate with grace.  :smile:

Just now, LannaGuy said:

You are rude Halloween and there is no need for it. You treat alternative opinion as if we are stupid, 'Shin fans' or whatever. You can make some sound points but they are dismissed by your overbearing style IMHO. None of us 100% right and we all have bias but we can debate with grace.  :smile:

Well I'm not allowed to say that under forum rules, but if we share an opinion, I'd have to agree.

If found guilty as charged, doubt Britain would grant asylum to a legally convicted felon & fugitive from justice....At least, one hopes not !! 

Though, the 'Puppeteer of Dubai' seems to have free access to UK, as he pleases...

4 minutes ago, halloween said:

Well I'm not allowed to say that under forum rules, but if we share an opinion, I'd have to agree.

BTW did you get a chance to view the Aljazerra piece?  it's very well balanced and was great to hear three obviously intelligent Thai commentators. Not that I agree with all of it but, nonetheless, well rounded I thought.

6 minutes ago, eggers said:

If found guilty as charged, doubt Britain would grant asylum to a legally convicted felon & fugitive from justice....At least, one hopes not !! 

Though, the 'Puppeteer of Dubai' seems to have free access to UK, as he pleases...

Pleeeeze stop the foolishness?  Britain values free speech and places little value on a conviction in a country run by a Military which is why Interpol nor any other agency will take a request for extradition seriously. Next!  

19 hours ago, Gunna said:

Why do you keep repeating these lies

She was removed from power before the coup by the Constitutional Court of Thailand after finding her guilty of abuse of power on 07 May

Lies????

The same charge they used to get rid of her brother, another democratically elected PM. Do the courts and the judges want to see Pheu Thai in power? Are they red or yellow supporters? Who has won every election since 2001? It matters not one bit what anyone thinks of them, including you, me and everyone else. They are the party the majority of Thai people want and who they vote for in elections. Are they the only ones who could be accused of "abuse of power? Did they grant themselves immunity in advance for any wrongdoing?

It matters little to me who has power in Thailand as it seems to affect me very little but I do believe in democracy. I also believe that the police and the armed forces should do the bidding of their elected government with the courts interpreting the laws which are passed by that government. 

23 minutes ago, LannaGuy said:

BTW did you get a chance to view the Aljazerra piece?  it's very well balanced and was great to hear three obviously intelligent Thai commentators. Not that I agree with all of it but, nonetheless, well rounded I thought.

Not bad, but the front man seems to ave missed the point, she is being charged with negligence in the management of the WHOLE policy, not just the corruption aspect. The commentator in UK also claimed the G2G companies were representing China which has proven to be false.

There also seemed to overstating of the difficulty of her escape. Once outside the compound by whatever means, she could be driven in a limo straight to connecting aircraft. I don't see any claim that she actually passed border control.

Added: a few problems with the pop-ups too.  Neither she nor or brother will be convicted in absense, both had their day in court. Also TS faces many more than 2 years if he returns, the KTB case for starters.

Edited by halloween

40 minutes ago, LannaGuy said:

Very good discussion with three prominent Thais (in English) and well worth watching. Balanced and Intelligent.  

Interesting.Thank you.Kasit is intriguing:despite his yellow record I believe he is a reasonable man who believes in democracy and indeed he has been quite outspoken in the last year or so..Yet he seems hampered by his middle class "tribal affiliations" if I can put it that way.Thaksin authoritarianism is his excuse (arguably a good one) but he finds it very hard to see the wishes of the majority as consistent with his version of democracy.Granted there must be checks and balances and elected dictatorships must be avoided, but this is the heart of the Thai problem.He says the upper and middle class are broadly happy with the Junta (true up to a point) but then denies there is a class aspect to the current Thai divisions.He goes on to say the yellow/Suthep demonstrations contained people from all walks of life.Yes, but the overwhelming majority were imported thugs from the South and Sino Thai urban middle class.So the question is do fundamentally decent people like Kasit accept that even if the Shins are taken out of the equation, there needs to be a massive shift in political and economic emphasis in Thailand, one of the most unequal societies on Earth?