Looking to buy a new lawnmower

JustAnotherFarang

I am looking to buy a new mower to replace my Briggs and Stratton Euroe EAT 5.  I have had it for 4 years and although it did a good job it has needed a few repairs along the way and can be very hard to start and even more so after it has gotten hot.  I was using it to cut 2 rai of land and often came upon rocks (which I have discarded) so it took a fair bit of punishment.  I was considering the Honda variety but heard that the blades need replacing often so now I am considering the Troy Bilt TB208 ES model.  Looking online the cheapest price I have seen is 18,000 bht and up to 21,000.  Anyone had any experience of this model and is it worth purchasing to replace my old Euroe EAT 5

Cheers

JAF

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Arjen said:

I have a Honda self propellled lawnmower. I am very happy with it, only, like you said, the life time from the blades is extreme short. I have a nice lawn, no stones. I do not touch the soil with the blades, but the upper part, (so the part what creates the airflow to lift the grass and move it to the bag) disappears within 5 hours of use. The replacement costs 1.800 baht. I complained often at Honda and the shop where I bought. 

Finally I designed myself a modification. Now I use a Honda blade what lasts around 30 hours and costs only 600 Baht. And also with this blade it is the upper part part (so the part what is far away from the grass) what disappears....

Overall I am happy with the performance from "my" Honda. I am a bit disapointed in the response from Honda.

Arjen.

Interesting. I too have a Honda self propelled mower but so far no issues with the blade assembly. Had it four years and cut over half a rai weekly. I've had the blade sharpened once. Is yours 100% Honda ( motor and chassis ) or one of the locally made chassis with a honda motor ?  Just curious in case I need to look at my blades again - It seems to be cutting fine and filling the bag easily.

Honda HRC 216

Honda-HRC216-Lawn-Mower-side-right.jpg.a44f5dd42b3720a787927aab40f6cf6f.jpg

46 minutes ago, Arjen said:

It is a real Honda, the blades are mounted on a steel plate, and can move. Now I use a fixed blade. 

But the difference is my area. I have around 30 rai, and use the mower at least once a week. So I expect that your blades last around 60 times longer.

Arjen.

30 Rai with a walk along grass cutter. Trip to Kubota might free up some time.

Here is my first Honda lawnmower from about a dozen years ago. Can't remember what it cost. I want to say around B20,000.

1.JPG

Below is my Honda today which shows it ain't easy living with a hillbilly in the Thailand countryside. Been repainted, wheels replaced, carburetor gone over, welded and rewelded, filled with too much oil and the throttle has been Jerry-rigged way to often. Need to buy a new blade this week as the original one has finally died.

2.JPG

• 4 weeks later...
38 minutes ago, JustAnotherFarang said:

I saw this model and it seems very similar if not identical to the honda model but its just over 9000 baht:-

http://www.chumphol-online.com/product/874/รถตัดหญ้า-sakari-bxv400di

Does anyone have any experience of it?

JAF

It's only got 4HP Engine...too small for a 20inch blade. You need to start with 5-6HP for a 20inch blade at least. 

On 8/28/2017 at 8:11 AM, missoura said:

Here is my first Honda lawnmower from about a dozen years ago. Can't remember what it cost. I want to say around B20,000.

1.JPG

Below is my Honda today which shows it ain't easy living with a hillbilly in the Thailand countryside. Been repainted, wheels replaced, carburetor gone over, welded and rewelded, filled with too much oil and the throttle has been Jerry-rigged way to often. Need to buy a new blade this week as the original one has finally died.

2.JPG

That doesnt look like a Honda Blade to me...but anyway....The cost of the Honda Blades for the 216 series costs under $11 USD and mine are delivered within a week from USA....Hope this helps.

If you ask the lawn mower repair men who work daily on lawn mowers in Buriram about Sakari | Euroe | Talon | Asgatec | Berala vs the only genuine Honda HRJ216K2 sold in Thailand you will understand there is a world of difference in the design, build quality and dependability. There is no Sakari factory. There are no Sakari engineers. There are no manuals that have the name Sakari. It is a marketing company importing Chinese products. Same deal as many brands sold in Thailand including Asgatec | Berala | Euroe lawn mowers. However, Husqvarna, Snapper, Troy Bilt, Wolf Garten, Makita and Honda are real companies with engineers.  Wolf Garten and Troy Bilt are owned by MTD, and Snapper is a Briggs & Stratton Brand where the folks who design and build the lawn mowers have years of experience. 

Isaan Honda Self propelled Lawn Mower Delivery.JPG

Thailand Husqvarna Petrol Chain Saw Repairs.JPG

On 27/08/2017 at 2:55 PM, Arjen said:

Finally I designed myself a modification. Now I use a Honda blade what lasts around 30 hours and costs only 600 Baht. And also with this blade it is the upper part part (so the part what is far away from the grass) what disappears....

On 27/08/2017 at 5:43 PM, Arjen said:

But the difference is my area. I have around 30 rai, and use the mower at least once a week. So I expect that your blades last around 60 times longer.

Let me see if I understand this correctly, you cut 30 Rai of lawn weekly with your Honda self traction lawn cutter, and your blade lasts 30 hours.

I have about half a Rai lawn, and it takes me about 2 hours to cut it with my Honda lawn mower.

So your 30 Rai must take about 60 hours, or a full week if you work 10 hours a day, to cut and you have to change your knife at least twice every week.

I'm surprised you still have time left to post on this forum.

10 hours ago, weegee said:

It's only got 4HP Engine...too small for a 20inch blade. You need to start with 5-6HP for a 20inch blade at least. 

I guess I am penny pinching as the cheapest Troy Bilt I can find is 17,500 bht plus 1000 bht for delivery.  Having used the Euroe for 4 years the missus thinks 18,500 bht is a lot of money just to cut the grass

6 hours ago, JustAnotherFarang said:

I guess I am penny pinching as the cheapest Troy Bilt I can find is 17,500 bht plus 1000 bht for delivery.  Having used the Euroe for 4 years the missus thinks 18,500 bht is a lot of money just to cut the grass

Not really expensive...You get what you pay for. BUT, make sure you buy something with a Honda Motor.

Over coffee a couple of days ago, with a mate, we were discussion prices of mowers and stuff and when you think about it, mowers have been getting so expensive over the last few years, that there are companies around offering finance for mowers....The dearest ride on mower(that we would never need) i have seen, is advertised at $52,000. 

My Point...

My advice on the purchase, is get the best you can for what you want to spend, and accept it. Have a look at the other thread on buying a mower, which was posted just before your thread....on this Sub forum. The Poster there is now happily mowing his lawn, too busy for an update :cheesy:.....

10 hours ago, tomas557 said:

Let me see if I understand this correctly, you cut 30 Rai of lawn weekly with your Honda self traction lawn cutter, and your blade lasts 30 hours.

I have about half a Rai lawn, and it takes me about 2 hours to cut it with my Honda lawn mower.

So your 30 Rai must take about 60 hours, or a full week if you work 10 hours a day, to cut and you have to change your knife at least twice every week.

I'm surprised you still have time left to post on this forum.

I'm with you on this...

I cut 2.5 rai and it takes me 6hrs, spread over 2 mornings. I worked out that I walk approx 8.5km doing this..

30 rai must be about 100km stroll or there abouts :partytime2:

On 9/21/2017 at 10:28 AM, weegee said:

My advice on the purchase, is get the best you can for what you want to spend, and accept it. Have a look at the other thread on buying a mower, which was posted just before your thread....on this Sub forum. The Poster there is now happily mowing his lawn, too busy for an update :cheesy:.....

Here I am Weegee! Have had at least 2 big mowing sessions with my new Honda and have to say the difference between my old 10k local model and this 14.5k Honda is huge. Definitely worth shelling out the extra baht.

1 hour ago, A Lurker said:

Here I am Weegee! Have had at least 2 big mowing sessions with my new Honda and have to say the difference between my old 10k local model and this 14.5k Honda is huge. Definitely worth shelling out the extra baht.

Good to hear....When you need new blades, the guy you bought from has them at 350baht per pair. 

Now all you have to do is watch WHO you let use the mower....that has a lot to do with the life of the machine here.

Now...how about a couple of photos of the mowed lawn and the mower itself (of course when you have free time..ha ha)

On 21/09/2017 at 10:45 AM, cornishcarlos said:

I'm with you on this...

I cut 2.5 rai and it takes me 6hrs, spread over 2 mornings. I worked out that I walk approx 8.5km doing this..

30 rai must be about 100km stroll or there abouts :partytime2:

I cut about the same as you but use a backpack 4 stroke Honda strimmer but it takes me the best part of 20 days at an hour a day early in the mornings. I am 73 and it is exercise for me but the ground is not even plus there are rocks, trees, plants and bits of the barbed wire fence lurking.

I have the front lawn, the front outside down to the road, the Som O orchard and the front outside of that, the back plot which used to have pineapples and the track up to the top land.

Then by way of a change there is always the half rai around my wife's old shop to play with every couple of months.

However it beats the crap out of sitting on my arrrse drinking beer and whining that there is nothing to do and I am bored.  :whistling:

I either use 3mm square nylon or a 16 inch steel blade which I sharpen at the end of the work on my bench grinder.

5 hours ago, JustAnotherFarang said:

Where can I buy the Honda and what model number for 14,500 bht, sounds like a bargain.  I am also thinking of buying a stihl backpack strimmer as well, think the are 2 models 3190 @ 7,500 bht or the 3001 @ 4700 bht

I would suggest buying a Honda UMK 435 backpack strimmer. Spares and service are easy to come by and consumables are available at most good hardware stores. They come in around 9,000 baht when I last looked not so long ago.

Mine is about 8 years old and still works well.

There are no genuine Honda lawn mowers sold in Thailand that sell for 14,500 baht. There is only one genuine Honda lawn mower imported into Thailand by Honda Power products. There are no genuine Honda lawn mower blades sold for 350 baht in Thailand. Might be a package that says Honda, but not really from Honda Thailand. Honda blades cost less than many imported lawn mowers, but for either the current twin blade system, or the older single blade system of the self walking Honda HRJ216, they cost more than 350 baht. The Honda UMR435 is a great genuine Honda four stroke backpack Brush Cutter. The Honda UMK435 is a straight bar four stroke brush cutter. Now installing a genuine Honda GX160 engine on a village mower with an extra safety switch is an option I have seen used for rough terrain. Whenever you buy Honda parts, or Makita parts, you an ask to see the shipping manifest from the company. It will be quite clear if your Honda or Makita part is genuine, based on who sold it to the store.  Alternative brands quite often are sub standard in 3rd world countries. 

Buriram Honda HRJ216 mower blades.jpg

Buriram Honda GX160 Engine Grass Cutter Mower.jpg

15 hours ago, JustAnotherFarang said:

Where can I buy the Honda and what model number for 14,500 bht, sounds like a bargain.  I am also thinking of buying a stihl backpack strimmer as well, think the are 2 models 3190 @ 7,500 bht or the 3001 @ 4700 bht

The Honda  GXV160 is 14,500 baht. You can read more about it in this thread:

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/997561-lawn-mower-for-under-15k/?page=4&tab=comments#comment-12218303

12 hours ago, kamalabob2 said:

There are no genuine Honda lawn mowers sold in Thailand that sell for 14,500 baht. There is only one genuine Honda lawn mower imported into Thailand by Honda Power products. There are no genuine Honda lawn mower blades sold for 350 baht in Thailand. Might be a package that says Honda, but not really from Honda Thailand. Honda blades cost less than many imported lawn mowers, but for either the current twin blade system, or the older single blade system of the self walking Honda HRJ216, they cost more than 350 baht. The Honda UMR435 is a great genuine Honda four stroke backpack Brush Cutter. The Honda UMK435 is a straight bar four stroke brush cutter. Now installing a genuine Honda GX160 engine on a village mower with an extra safety switch is an option I have seen used for rough terrain. Whenever you buy Honda parts, or Makita parts, you an ask to see the shipping manifest from the company. It will be quite clear if your Honda or Makita part is genuine, based on who sold it to the store.  Alternative brands quite often are sub standard in 3rd world countries. 

Buriram Honda HRJ216 mower blades.jpg

Buriram Honda GX160 Engine Grass Cutter Mower.jpg

I have had one of those big mowers in the last picture for over 10 years now.

It is a great brush cutter and over the years I have modified it including putting a wood and metal cover over the open part at the front and metal plates inside there to cut down on the rocks and stones being thrown out by the blades.

The engine starts on the first or second pull of the starter cord even when it has been standing for a couple of months and it gets some TLC when I remember.

It cuts almost anything and happily chews rocks as well. A pair of blades  is about 150 baht.

My only complaints are that the tyres go flat between usage (just pump them up with the compressor easy peasy) and the big problem is that I am 73 and while it is a good brush cutter it is also quite heavy. Going down or across a slope is no real problem but pushing the barsteward up the slope is hard work.

I think that they are about 13,xxx baht but built like the proverbial brick kahzy and they last forever.

Great value for money.

20 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

P_20170321_103001.jpg

P_20170321_103015.jpg

P_20161111_093243_BF.jpg

Holy hell!!!..if you are mowing all that with a push mower....your a superhero....lol

I have what you need for there, and it's a spare one....Heavily built and will last until you are too old to walk outside.

You better PM me, before you age prematurely....lol

1 hour ago, weegee said:

Holy hell!!!..if you are mowing all that with a push mower....your a superhero....lol

I have what you need for there, and it's a spare one....Heavily built and will last until you are too old to walk outside.

You better PM me, before you age prematurely....lol

We chatted before about your ride on mower but I figured the actual lawn area is only going to get smaller as I landscape and build. So better enjoy the exercise while I can :) 

Thanks for all the input guys, really helps to get some wise advice.  I am now leaning towards the Troy Bilt mower at 17,500 bht and the Honda UMR 435T bushcutter at 7,900 baht.  They will probably tack on another 1000-1500 bht on top for delivery so before I commit, is there anywhere else selling these items cheaper?

Much appreciated

JAF

13 hours ago, JustAnotherFarang said:

Thanks for all the input guys, really helps to get some wise advice.  I am now leaning towards the Troy Bilt mower at 17,500 bht and the Honda UMR 435T bushcutter at 7,900 baht.  They will probably tack on another 1000-1500 bht on top for delivery so before I commit, is there anywhere else selling these items cheaper?

Much appreciated

JAF

Dont know if you ever read the other thread on this, but a Honda engine powered mower is 14500Bht...Best you PM the originator of that thread and find out where he got his from..."Lurker" was the member who posted the Topic just before yours....They delivered to him, without any delivery charge I think....

Archived