Looking to buy a new lawnmower

JustAnotherFarang

I sent ALurker a message but no reply as of yet.  Really want to buy my mower soon as I have a few weeks holiday coming up that I want to spend in my garden. So if anyone has any leads or information about where I can purchase this particular mower and any other useful advice then please let me know

Much appreciated as always

JAF

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, JustAnotherFarang said:

I sent ALurker a message but no reply as of yet.  Really want to buy my mower soon as I have a few weeks holiday coming up that I want to spend in my garden. So if anyone has any leads or information about where I can purchase this particular mower and any other useful advice then please let me know

JAF

I may have missed it but where do you live?

15 hours ago, JustAnotherFarang said:

JAF

Have just sent PM.

14 hours ago, JustAnotherFarang said:

I live down South near to Chumphon.  

Thanks.

I live in rural Khampaeng Phet and for major stuf like that I go to KPP which is about 65km away where there is a very good hardware, pump, lawn mower and electrical tools sales place which is family run. They know their stuff and don't hang around you like flies as the major places like Global House, Homeworks, Homepro etc do.

Also their prices are lower and the after sales service is great. That is the sort of shop to go to.

However as I have never been down your way I have no idea where to go.

• 3 weeks later...

Just to update the post.  I bought the Troy Bilt 280ES for 18,000 bht which was considerably cheaper that I had been quoted by another poster who advertises the same model on this forum (4,000 baht saving).  First impressions are that it is a real well built tank of a mower, far bigger and better than my previous mower the Euroe Eat 5.  After charging the battery it started first time and using the side mulch feature it powered through the tall grass and did a great job mulching.  The fact that I dont have to push it also saved me a great deal of time and energy.  I like the deck cleaning feature which works very well.  First impressions are very good.

The Honda UMR 435T bushcutter was also very impressive.  I paid 9000 bht for it and after setting it up got to work on a large overgrown piece of land to clear it of the tallest grass.  It cut through it very well and was a lot easier to use than the standard brushcutters that have the motor at the end of the handle.  It starts first time, it nowhere near as noisy as a 2 stroke and I had no back pain whatsoever which was always a problem previously with the standard brushcutter. 

All in all, I am a happy man with a very tidy 2.5 rai garden

Thanks to everyone who responded and for all your time and advice.  If anyone would like any further information then please feel free to ask

JAF

7 minutes ago, JustAnotherFarang said:

Just to update the post.  I bought the Troy Bilt 280ES for 18,000 bht which was considerably cheaper that I had been quoted by another poster who advertises the same model on this forum (4,000 baht saving).  First impressions are that it is a real well built tank of a mower, far bigger and better than my previous mower the Euroe Eat 5.  After charging the battery it started first time and using the side mulch feature it powered through the tall grass and did a great job mulching.  The fact that I dont have to push it also saved me a great deal of time and energy.  I like the deck cleaning feature which works very well.  First impressions are very good.

The Honda UMR 435T bushcutter was also very impressive.  I paid 9000 bht for it and after setting it up got to work on a large overgrown piece of land to clear it of the tallest grass.  It cut through it very well and was a lot easier to use than the standard brushcutters that have the motor at the end of the handle.  It starts first time, it nowhere near as noisy as a 2 stroke and I had no back pain whatsoever which was always a problem previously with the standard brushcutter. 

Thanks to everyone who responded and for all your time and advice.  If anyone would like any further information then please feel free to ask

JAF

Its such a nice feeling when you've got the right kit for the job...

Bet you are loving your garden now :)

Get some pics up of your machines and the garden...

I've got a Rover mower, which does the job but my Husqvarna brush cutter is the business... I get that puppy out at least 3 times a week and let rip.... 

7 hours ago, JustAnotherFarang said:

JAF

You must be a little shorter than me as when i use my Honda UMR 435T bushcutter I find that I am leaning forward a bit and after a while my back starts to ache. I am about 1.86m and I would love the drive shaft to be about 15cm (or 6 inches in old money) longer.

I was designed (I think the T means Thailand) for the average Thai who in general are shorter than us farangs.

I have used mine for about 8 years, had the engine rebuilt once, replaced the carburettor several times but most of the expense has been on consumables such as blades, nylon cords, spark plugs, fuel filters etc.

At this time of year I cut the grass and scrub for about an hour a day 5 days a week so it definitely earns its keep. December to March in the dry season is pretty much a holiday time as the grass doesn't grow much.

I am 183 cm and suffer with tennis elbow.  I did have that problem of having to stoop at first but rectified it by tying a rope loop around the handle where I hold it and then put the other end of the loop over my neck which allowed me to cut without stooping and also relieved the pressure of holding the handle.  My only gripe is that I am left handed but its setup for right handed use.  Maybe I can get the motor to swing to my left side instead, haven't figured that out yet.

JAF

8 hours ago, JustAnotherFarang said:

I am 183 cm and suffer with tennis elbow.  I did have that problem of having to stoop at first but rectified it by tying a rope loop around the handle where I hold it and then put the other end of the loop over my neck which allowed me to cut without stooping and also relieved the pressure of holding the handle.  My only gripe is that I am left handed but its setup for right handed use.  Maybe I can get the motor to swing to my left side instead, haven't figured that out yet.

JAF

I have downloaded these parts list pages as in most cases they are the same for most models. I find it helps a lot if you can print off the page with the part you want if the guy you are buying from speaks no English.

http://www.diyspareparts.com/parts/honda/diagrams/umk435e-ueet/

I use the shoulder straps to carry the brush cutter and I can adjust the height a bit. If you have the handlebar model it may be possible, though probably not that easy, to swap the handles over. Perhaps you could order another set of handlebars and modify them to work as a left handed model.

http://www.diyspareparts.com/parts/honda/diagrams/umk435e-ueet/handle--throttle-lever/

Ignore the prices as in Thailand they are much cheaper. For example the complete carburettor assemby is quoted as GBP 76.67, which at an exchange rate of 44 is about 3,375 thb. The last one I bought was 900 thb for an in box original though you can get a fake copy for 450 thb which also works.

Thanks for that list of components but not sure if we are using the same brushcutter.  I have the UMR 435 T which I carry on my back whereas I think you have the model that you carry using shoulder straps and hold by your side.  I used to have a cheap model of the side brushcutter but found it really painful to use which is why I chose to buy a backpack model.  If your list of components will work on mine then I will keep it for future reference.

Cheers

JAF

3 hours ago, JustAnotherFarang said:

Thanks for that list of components but not sure if we are using the same brushcutter.  I have the UMR 435 T which I carry on my back whereas I think you have the model that you carry using shoulder straps and hold by your side.  I used to have a cheap model of the side brushcutter but found it really painful to use which is why I chose to buy a backpack model.  If your list of components will work on mine then I will keep it for future reference.

Cheers

JAF

I see you have the backpack with the flexi drive cable. This parts list may help you then.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?biw=1057&bih=513&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=Honda+UMR+435+T+parts+list&oq=Honda+UMR+435+T+parts+list&gs_l=psy-ab.12...0.0.0.7388.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0..0.0....0...1..64.psy-ab..0.0.0....0.iyEz9IDaQyU

I have had a couple of cheap backpack 2 stroke brush cutters and I found that the drive cables used to break as I didn't grease them. About 800 baht for a drive cable IIRC but it was a few years ago.

The other problem was that they were a bich to restart with it on my back.

Build 766...

Not sure if I follow you right about bending forward to use the Whipper Snipper..

If you have the Handle bar type, if you undo the lock bolts and slide the handlebar closer to you....also slide the clip on the shaft that holds it to the body strap the same direction, until you have it at a comfortable operating position...

Other than that, to beat a bad Back, and you seem to do a lot of slashing per week....Grab a GolF Bag  Trolley (2 wheels)

and modify it to carry the Whipper Snipper around for you. It take a while to get used to, but when you do, your sore back will disappear....

Good luck

Thank you for the tip.

I hadn't though about moving the handle bars.

I don't think that the golf trolley part will work ab mine has a rigid drive shaft though it may work on a brush cutter with a flexible drive shaft.

I was up in Khampaeng Phet this morning at my favourite tool shop and I saw this brush cutter.

It is a 2 stroke but the guy reckons that they could swap the motor out for a Honda GX 35 engine which is the same as my brush cutter.

4,500 thb and the handles are height adjustable. It has a dolly wheel to adjust the blade cutting height and is a lot lighter than the monster I use now. You can use a steel blade or nylon cords.

I may buy one in the New Year.

Bugger. TVF will not let me upload the photos. I will try again tomorrow.

14 hours ago, billd766 said:

Thank you for the tip.

I hadn't though about moving the handle bars.

I don't think that the golf trolley part will work ab mine has a rigid drive shaft though it may work on a brush cutter with a flexible drive shaft.

I was up in Khampaeng Phet this morning at my favourite tool shop and I saw this brush cutter.

It is a 2 stroke but the guy reckons that they could swap the motor out for a Honda GX 35 engine which is the same as my brush cutter.

4,500 thb and the handles are height adjustable. It has a dolly wheel to adjust the blade cutting height and is a lot lighter than the monster I use now. You can use a steel blade or nylon cords.

I may buy one in the New Year.

Bugger. TVF will not let me upload the photos. I will try again tomorrow.

Yes it will with a Straight shaft....you just have to modify it right. Once you do, it's better than sliced bread...:smile:...(well, not the bread we get here though).

• 2 weeks later...

I too am seeking a new lawnmower.  I have only about 500 sq m of lawn,  I have had bad experiences with a supposed Briggs and Stratten mower; and similarly now with a Makita electric mower which needs repair at present (new bearing and motor needed, following on from replacement of the capacitor.) If anyone is interested I can elaborate on these unhappy experiences.

So I have found this thread very interesting.  I had assumed that a Honda mower would be top quality, and the drive power is attractive to a 70+ year old, but the talk of blade wear alarms me.  Any further advice from members will be very welcome.

Billd766 -- I will be very grateful for any directions or address for the shop in Khampaeng Phet, as it is quite near to me.

DocTom.

I too am seeking a new lawnmower.  I have only about 500 sq m of lawn,  I have had bad experiences with a supposed Briggs and Stratten mower; and similarly now with a Makita electric mower which needs repair at present (new bearing and motor needed, following on from replacement of the capacitor.) If anyone is interested I can elaborate on these unhappy experiences.

So I have found this thread very interesting.  I had assumed that a Honda mower would be top quality, and the drive power is attractive to a 70+ year old, but the talk of blade wear alarms me.  Any further advice from members will be very welcome.

Billd766 -- I will be very grateful for any directions or address for the shop in Khampaeng Phet, as it is quite near to me.

DocTom.

4 hours ago, DocTom said:

DocTom.

The shop I use is called Boon Heng.

To get there depends on where you are coming from.

Coming up from BKK take the bypass road down over the bridge to the Makro turn, but turn left into town past the government hospital. Keep going into the one way system past the 7/11 and the market and turn right as if you were going to BigC. At the first set of lights with BKK Bank on your right and the wat in front on the left, go ever the lights and park outside the wat. Boon Heng is opposite the wat and they have a lot of stuff outside.

Coming down from the north take a left at the first major lights, down past the bus station, over the bridge  3/4 of the way around the roundabout and follow the one way system. You will come to the same set of lights but the BKK bank will be on your right and the wat on the left.

If you come in from Sukothai or Phitsanulok when you get to the ring road traffic lights go straight over (if you have a green light), keep going staright up past BigC through 2 or 3 sets of lights until you see the Wat on your right and Boon Heng is on the left.

Boon Heng is a family business and farang friendly, several of them can speak some English but the daughter speaks good English.

It is where I get all my genuine Honda parts from and the prices are quite reasonable. They also know their business well and get many repeat customers.

On 10/30/2017 at 2:10 PM, DocTom said:

Hi Doc Tom

I decided on not buying the Honda mower because of my concerns about the expensive blade replacements and of course the price which is very expensive for a mower with self drive (around 26-27,000 baht) which is why I bought the Troy Bilt. It does have a Briggs and Stratton mower but its far superior to the one I had previously which still works.  Including delivery from Udon Thani to the south the price was around 18,500 bht and I have used it twice so far with exceptional results.  If you want any further details of the shop or any other information please feel free to ask

JAF

Billd776 and JAF : 

many thanks for your responses.  At nearly 30k baht, my interest in a Honda mower has just about disappeared!  I intend at my earliest possible moment to follow the excellent directions to the shop in KP, and to see what they have to offer. I will look at any Troy Bilt models if they have them.

Again thanks for your input - most helpful.

DocTom.

(I do not know how my earlier post got displayed twice, but i guess that I must let the Administrator delete one of them.)

2 minutes ago, DocTom said:

Billd776 and JAF : 

many thanks for your responses.  At nearly 30k baht, my interest in a Honda mower has just about disappeared!  I intend at my earliest possible moment to follow the excellent directions to the shop in KP, and to see what they have to offer. I will look at any Troy Bilt models if they have them.

DocTom.

(I do not know how my earlier post got displayed twice, but i guess that I must let the Administrator delete one of them.)

My pleasure Doc, good to give something back to this informative thread.  I must add that there are cheaper variants of the honda engine mower which WeeGee told me about which worked out to around 14,000 baht but they are not self propelled.  There is also a Raptor mower (a reputable brand) that I have seen which is self propelled and has an electric start ( a feature I love about the Troy Bilt) which was around 13,000 baht.  But I am very happy with my purchase as it really is a beast of a machine.  Alas, I cannot post pictures on the thread to show off my garden after mowing, suffice to say, my friend says it now looks like a stately home 5555

JAF 

Reposting pictures I took yesterday evening and at 4pm today.  The grass/weeds on the 2nd and 3 rd level were knee high but the mower has defeated them all and I have a ton of mulch and compost for the trees.  Not had much rain here the last 2 weeks so the garden is looking a little dry but I am working on it to restore it to its pristine glory.  Not a bad job really for one man and his cat.

Thanks to all those who have participated in this thread for all your helpful advice, it really is nice to know we have such a friendly community to communicate with

JAF

IMG_20171031_175942.jpg

IMG_20171031_180009.jpg

IMG_20171031_180055.jpg

IMG_20171031_180115.jpg

IMG_20171031_180136.jpg

IMG_20171031_180214.jpg

IMG_20171031_180253.jpg

IMG_20171031_180300.jpg

IMG_20171031_180315.jpg

IMG_20171031_180405.jpg

IMG_20171031_180412.jpg

IMG_20171031_180507.jpg

IMG_20171031_180608.jpg

IMG_20171031_180614.jpg

IMG_20171031_180627.jpg

IMG_20171031_180731.jpg

IMG_20171031_180745.jpg

IMG_20171031_180755.jpg

IMG_20171031_180804.jpg

IMG_20171101_154853.jpg

IMG_20171101_154926.jpg

IMG_20171101_154943.jpg

IMG_20171101_155012.jpg

IMG_20171101_155038.jpg

IMG_20171101_155049.jpg

IMG_20171101_155133.jpg

IMG_20171101_155143.jpg

IMG_20171101_155217.jpg

IMG_20171101_155242.jpg

IMG_20171101_155257.jpg

IMG_20171101_155309.jpg

IMG_20171101_155317.jpg

IMG_20171101_155358.jpg

IMG_20171101_155409.jpg

IMG_20171101_155424.jpg

IMG_20171101_155504.jpg

IMG_20171101_155517.jpg

IMG_20171101_155542.jpg

IMG_20171101_155601.jpg

IMG_20171101_155620.jpg

IMG_20171101_155624.jpg

IMG_20171101_155646.jpg

IMG_20171101_155654.jpg

IMG_20171101_155711.jpg

IMG_20171101_155716.jpg

2 hours ago, DocTom said:

Billd776 and JAF : 

DocTom.

Boon Heng does not sell the sir and ride and AFAIR their Honda mowers are not self propelled.

For a larger selection (but more expensive and poorer service) there is Global House about 2km up the route 1 to the north from KPP. After sales is not much good and spares are not too good either but their are some nice looking girls there. Parking is easier too.

If you get the time and the day right and you turn right ofter leaving Global House you can go up to the Oasis restaurant run by Mike, a German, who does great western food and beer including German beers.

You can find more details on Google/Facebook.

5 hours ago, Arjen said:

Great pictures JAF!

My experience with grass cutting, after two or three days the lawn looks much better, special when short after cuttig it some rain falls....

The good news is that up here in rural Thailand it looks as though the rainy season is almost over and I can look forward to 3 or 4 months of less work in the mornings and a chance to do some deeper maintenance on the equipment.

Whilts I like the rain and I know that it is needed, the last 3 or 4 months was hard work just trying to keep up with the grass and scrub cutting.

My experience and observations with lawn mowers here in Thailand:

There seem to be only one or two manufacturers of petrol lawn mower decks in Thailand and all the badged lawnmower companies seem to use them. Because of that replacement chassis parts are easily obtainable, mostly this comprises clips that hold wheel assemblies on, wheel assemblies themselves and handles/throttle controls.

The chassis design has a major design flaw, you need to add a strengthening strip between the rear wheels otherwise the metal snaps, it's easily done.

If you buy something with a Briggs and Stratton engine and change the oil twice a season, it will last a long time. Once a year tune up parts such a carb. diaphram, plug, air filter are easily obtained in Thailand or can be shipped by Amazon UK and it doesn't cost that much more.

Replacement blades are hard to find but Chinese blades are easily sourced, they need to be drilled for the two additional alignment holes but it's easily done - an angle grinder can be used to touch up the blade a couple of times each season.

I've got a EUROE with a B&S and once I fixed the design flaw I can easily maintain it no matter what - it's a great mower in its fourth year and I have a large garden/lawns.

Homepro online is now selling Greenworks 24v and 48v electric mowers from the US, it's very sturdy kit and the batteries are pricey but excellent.

HomePro online also started to sell Husquvarna petrol mowers from the US and at 20k baht they're a very good deal - you wont see these things in the stores, you have to order them and buy thru. the store.

I've looked at the Honda lawnmowers several times and I'm not happy with what I see, the engines are Honda Thailand but the chassis and controls are from a Thai company and some of the same rear axle design problems exist in the rear of the chassis.

Options I recommend are: 1) buy a EUROE or similar with a B&S, modify the chassis and maintain the unit. 2) Husky.

5 hours ago, weegee said:

Just got the Chance to look at the photos....Great job there. It's quite obvious you have been putting a lot of time into having it look good....

Cheers Weegee, its a labour of love but I also work so its hard to keep up with, then the missus calls in the local labour who do a job that often below my own standards.  They always turn up with the brush cutter and cut the grass too short which means the weeds find a home in the lawn.  I am fighting an uphill battle with crab grass at the moment but will try to stay on top of it all with my new tools.

JAF

Archived