Phuket Town pharmacy crash leaves man dead

webfact

Phuket Town pharmacy crash leaves man dead

Eakkapop Thongtub

1503889827_1-org.jpg

Uaychock Thaokhong died after his car slammed into a pharmacy in the heart of Phuket Town yesterday morning (Aug 27). Photo: Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET: -- A man died after his car slammed into a pharmacy in the heart of Phuket Town yesterday morning (Aug 27).

Phuket City Police and rescue workers were called to the scene, across the road from the Phuket Namsaeng Honda motorbike dealership at the intersection of Thalang Rd and Thepkrasattri Rd, at 6:40am.

The emergency responders arrived to find Uaychock Thaokhong, age about 30-35 years old, unconscious behind the wheel of his Honda Civic, which had rammed the front of the Sa-nguan Pharmacy.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-town-pharmacy-crash-leaves-man-dead-63634.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2017-08-28

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

21 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Look at the photo with the policeman, he clearly did not hit the pole but the shophouse.

Sorry stevenl but I am with LIK on this one it is quite obvious that the pole stopped

the car from reaching the shophouse. And I did not have a policeman handy to look

at the photo with.   

Edited by phuketjock

23 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Look at the photo with the policeman, he clearly did not hit the pole but the shophouse.

I looked at all the photos before I posted. It's clear to me that the pole caued the most damage. I guess some damage on the left front as he scraped past the building. For sure the photos are confusing as the car is back from the pole, might be the rescue team pushed the car back. But the damage was obviously caused by the pole.

9 minutes ago, LivinginKata said:

I looked at all the photos before I posted. It's clear to me that the pole caued the most damage. I guess some damage on the left front as he scraped past the building. For sure the photos are confusing as the car is back from the pole, might be the rescue team pushed the car back. But the damage was obviously caused by the pole.

bullsh#t, the pole doesnt have a mark on it.

to do that much damage to the front of the car and enuff impact to kill the driver ,that pole would be serverly damaged. if not flattened compleatly .

Edited by sirmud63

11 minutes ago, LivinginKata said:

I looked at it a few times now, and your comment made me doubt.

I don't know at the moment, it is not possible to see any depth on the photo where it seems to have hit the pole, and as another poster just said, the pole looks unscatched. Really difficult to tell from these photos.

2 minutes ago, sirmud63 said:

to do that much damage to the front of the car and enuff impact to kill the driver ,that pole would be serverly damaged. 

Yes, agree with that. But show me any damage to the building ??  I can't see anything. 

As I said there is something odd about the photos.

5 minutes ago, sirmud63 said:

to do that much damage to the front of the car and enuff impact to kill the driver ,that pole would be serverly damaged. if not flattened compleatly .

Do you have X-ray vision? because the point of impact on the pole is not visible in the photo.

1 minute ago, phuketjock said:

Do you have X-ray vision? because the point of impact on the pole is not visible in the photo.

i dont need xray to see that what ever the car hit was alot bigger than that pole .

the pole, would in the very least, be bent .

try again with your glasses, they may put some better perspective on it .

Here are some more photos.   As the main damage is on the front right of the car, and the Pharmacy building is on the left, this suggests that the car was in collision with something before coming to rest on the corner.   You'll also see that the pole in question is a couple of metres in front of the vehicle.

59a3b3e5ed476_PhuketCar1.jpg.9f00c81caf90afe9b0aaabd196d85203.jpg

Phuket Car 2.jpg

Phuket Car 3.jpg

Phuket Car 4.jpg

Edited by pagallim

6 minutes ago, pagallim said:

Here are some more photos.   As the main damage is on the front right of the car, and the Pharmacy building is on the left, this suggests that the car was in collision with something before coming to rest on the corner.   You'll also see that the pole in question is a couple of metres in front of the vehicle.

Yes,  I have thought that he might have had a collision with another vehicle, But there is no mention of any vehicle crash.  I continue to say there is something very wrong with the sequence of photos and the story line.

Edited by LivinginKata

16 minutes ago, LivinginKata said:

Yes,  I have thought that he might have had a collision with another vehicle, But there is no mention of any vehicle crash.  I continue to say there is something very wrong with the sequence of photos and the story line.

The damage to the car is classic with having impacted a pole or tree like object and from the additional

photos there is little or no evidence of any impact with the shop front?

It is possible that the car was initially embedded on the/a pole and pulled back to get the driver out or for

some other reason?

15 minutes ago, phuketjock said:

The damage to the car is classic with having impacted a pole or tree like object and from the additional

photos there is little or no evidence of any impact with the shop front?

It is possible that the car was initially embedded on the/a pole and pulled back to get the driver out or for

some other reason?

I do agree with your assessment of the damage, but also think it could result from impact with the corner of a building.

It should also be noted that a vehicle which is travelling at the kind of speed which would result in such damage, rarely comes to a dead stop at the point of impact. This probably accounts for the fact that it 'appears' to have hit the pole

45 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

I do agree with your assessment of the damage, but also think it could result from impact with the corner of a building.

It should also be noted that a vehicle which is travelling at the kind of speed which would result in such damage, rarely comes to a dead stop at the point of impact. This probably accounts for the fact that it 'appears' to have hit the pole

No way the car hit the building.

The fact that the pole  appears not to have sustained damage is very puzzling. More to this accident than is being accurately reported. 

1 hour ago, LivinginKata said:

The fact that the pole  appears not to have sustained damage is very puzzling. More to this accident than is being accurately reported. 

If the pole had been filled with concrete as reinforcement, there might be very little damage to the pole itself. With the point of impact less than 2 feet above the ground, I don't think there would be enough leverage to substantially deflect the pole (depending upon how well it was anchored below grade).

1 hour ago, LivinginKata said:

As I've just said, it is rare that a vehicle comes to a dead stop in an accident. That only happens in laboratories when crash test dummies are driving.

Vehicle hits corner of building, bounces off, spins around and lands in a position pointing in the direction of the pole. The fact that pole appears not to have sustained damage is no mystery at all.

3 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

As I've just said, it is rare that a vehicle comes to a dead stop in an accident. That only happens in laboratories when crash test dummies are driving.

Vehicle hits corner of building, bounces off, spins around and lands in a position pointing in the direction of the pole. The fact that pole appears not to have sustained damage is no mystery at all.

Pure rubbish ....

7 minutes ago, LivinginKata said:

Pure rubbish ....

Which part of this quote, from the original press report do you not understand?

A man died after his car slammed into a pharmacy in the heart of Phuket Town yesterday morning 

51 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Believe me when a vehicle hits a large tree or a substantial steel pole head on, no matter what speed it is 

travelling, it will come to a dead stop. 

36 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Which part of this quote, from the original press report do you not understand?

A man died after his car slammed into a pharmacy in the heart of Phuket Town yesterday morning 

You did not quote that. You posted as below.. and yes a man died.  But I do not see any photographic evidence that the car hit the buidling to cause that front end damage. 

Just now, phuketjock said:

Believe me when a vehicle hits a large tree or a substantial steel pole head on, no matter what speed it is 

travelling, it will come to a dead stop. 

Yes, if it hits head on. This was not a head on impact. An offset impact such as this one, induces a turning motion, in this case a clockwise one.

10 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Yes, if it hits head on. This was not a head on impact. An offset impact such as this one, induces a turning motion, in this case a clockwise one.

Let's hope we all see the CCTV. If you think this was not a head on impact then as they say here 'up to you'.

16 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

It may not have been dead on central head on but it looks very much like a head on impact to me.

There is still the complete lack of any evidence of impact on any building in any of the photos so far shown.

Edited by phuketjock

2 minutes ago, phuketjock said:

It may not have been dead on central head on but it looks very much like a head on impact to me.

There is still the complete lack of any evidence of impact on any building in any of the photos so far shown.

What is in no doubt is that this vehicle hit a substantial structure at considerable speed. The pole appears undamaged, the only other structure is the building.

What we do not know is when the press photo was taken. It could could well have been taken during the recovery operation and at such an angle that it appeared to have struck the pole.

From  my perspective, the amount of damage to the car and the lack any apparent damage to the pole suggests that the press report is accurate. And why should it not be?

4 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

14 minutes ago, phuketjock said:

From  my perspective, the amount of damage to the car and the lack any apparent damage to the pole suggests that the press report is accurate. And why should it not be?

You are joking aren't you? 

Or do you not actually live in Thailand, a place where inaccurate press reporting is the norm?