Did anyone end up hating Thailand after retiring?

Aing123

15 hours ago, champers said:

I took a peek at your profile; OP; and it has your year of birth as 1985. On that basis, you cannot extend a visa for retirement purposes for another 18 years. 

I suggest working as long as you can, putting by as much as you can for retirement.

NB. If in the UK, you cannot buy an annuity until age 55

Sort of. You can't buy one with pension funds. You can buy a "purchased life" annuity whenever you like. The rates for both sorts are rubbish given QE. Purchased life annuities were a good idea in the past for footballers and boxers who would otherwise piss the money away. I'm not sure I'd recommend an annuity to anyone at the moment. 

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Hate" is a bit of a strong word, but when the mask is torn off Thai people and society, you see some very ugly things that you wish you had never seen. The "Thai right, farang wrong" mentality is so pervasive and resistant to reason and compromise that you sometimes feel that the former European colonies of Asia, such as Cambodia, actually offer more in terms of pliability and adaptability to sane social norms.

5 hours ago, tonray said:

I am finding the transition from working every day to having nothing to do daunting...

That's the thing that's freaking me out. I'm a creature of routines, so I can establish a routine in Thailand that's mellow for say a couple of months, but could I do it indefinitely

Having said that, what's the alternative? You don't get any smarter as you get older - and I'm not getting any more patient - so highly skilled work is going to become more difficult at some point, unless you're happy about doing progressively less impressive work. Routine drudgery doesn't look too good either. So at some point a decision has to be made. 

4 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

I find the hot season tougher and tougher to take every year. Not being able to go out for a walk during the day without coming back a sweaty mess is no fun.

We're back to leaving every year from mid April or so until July or so. And considering making it even longer.

Regarding weather  and its impact on retired life. . .

It's the same for me the last three-four years. I don't know whether it's me as I get older or it's actually getting more hot/humid.

For contrast, I'm located in deep southern Vietnam at the moment, where it really is more humid. I find when I'm back in the Pattaya area or even Bangkok, it's a bit less of a challenge to walk. 

To the OP, I do find the Pattaya/Chonburi province area less hot and humid. Come April-May though, I'm always out of here (yes, the Songkran mania has something to do with it) and back in the northern home country -- with great relief. Also the rainy season in Bangkok and to a certain extent in Pattaya is very annoying. There were times in Bangkok during say August through October where I and friends would not go out knowing it was going to pour, making it difficult to wade into the street and get a taxi home. 

Edited by Kaoboi Bebobp

14 minutes ago, Craig krup said:

That's the thing that's freaking me out. I'm a creature of routines, so I can establish a routine in Thailand that's mellow for say a couple of months, but could I do it indefinitely

Having said that, what's the alternative? You don't get any smarter as you get older - and I'm not getting any more patient - so highly skilled work is going to become more difficult at some point, unless you're happy about doing progressively less impressive work. Routine drudgery doesn't look too good either. So at some point a decision has to be made. 

You do for sure need something to do. Some kind of hobby fitted to your past work. The big thing is being comfortable doing things without a deadline in mind and staying away from the bar scene. I might go for a couple once every two weeks but actually prefer a drink in the garden in the evening watching the dogs play. I don't need to support my wife and her family and to be honest I never had to do it with my ex in UK so don't see why it seems to be accepted as 'part of life' in Thailand. So many retired here and complaining about paying for the 'wifes family' etc, or are they boasting? I don't get it.

To the OP I would say that the vast majority of the I hate it in Thailand brigade are hating themselves because instead of enjoying retirement and doing a bit of travelling they are trapped into a lifesyle of their own making. Over 60, fixed income, a 25 to 30 year old wife who has minimal english with a 5 year old kid they believe is their own and a future that means paying school fees for the next fifteen years.

The world is changing rapidly, and in oftentimes unpredictable ways. As you age and your priorities and perceptions evolve, there is always a chance that you will want to move on. While I wholeheartedly agree that doing your homework, learning the language, and taking trial trips, etc. improve your odds of having a successful expat experience, there are no guarantees, and nothing can completely eliminate the risk you will end up becoming dissatisfied. A realistic and well thought out exit plan is as, if not more, important as all the beforehand preparation.

Edited by Gecko123

1 hour ago, Craig krup said:

Same boat here, but I look forward to lower skilled work, hopefully with more human interaction.  If you enjoy it, I wouldn't call it drudgery.  

My ideal retirement gig would be something like renting bicycles, e-bikes, kayaks and SUPs to tourists on a nice beach somewhere, with hired locals doing most of the heavy lifting and me providing the capital, schmoozing the customers and tinkering with the business plan (or just staying the hell out of the way on those days I wake up with oldfartitis).  Of course, between the local mafias that control that kind of thing and the other issues with the legal system, even having a properly registered business with a WP seems inadequate.  Besides, I'd also want to rent out fishing kayaks, and that's not very likely in Thailand.  Either there's no fish, or my customers would end up in jail for catching them...

Back on point, after 40 years of crunching numbers and solving complex problems as an engineer (often reporting to Neanderthals that still dominate the oil business), a less complicated, less stressful endeavor seems appealing.

Edited by impulse

18 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

If you read these forums enough you will get the impression that many hate the place, but fortunately its the vocal minority.

Also it seems that the vocal minority are guys who don't even live here.

Edited by seancbk

You need to live here and experience it by yourself. For example:

I hate my oposit neighbor since his car muffler is ZZZZzzzzzz and he listens music or at least he thinks that is music, but to me there is no music but huge vibration. They want to have part everynight outside the house and always begins quiet. As they get more drunk they become more careless and louder. Usually at 2:00 AM party is over but not everynight I become lucky. 

should I hate this or love this ? You decide. ???

i have good neighbors too. Not all like this one. 

There good things around too. But if you get stuck with something that is painful then you will hate it. 

3 hours ago, Craig krup said:

Totally agree. I was wondering how i would manage after finishing work here.

As it happens im well used to just making the best out of any situation. I dont have a set routine never really have done exept for some of the work i have been doing over the years. (Sometmes you have to have a routine) now i decide day to day what to do and more importantly when to do things. As with all houses and out houses there is always something to do. I also love to help down on our land but at present theres very little to do down there. Sugar is growing nicley and two weeks ago we set about the growing weeds. We dont plant rice now dont need it for us easier to buy it in. So its all sugar down there now.

I have a list of whats needing to be done in and around house and just prioritise that list.

Last 4 days have had plenty to do shifting water from clay pots to feed the house here and at MIL's. Due to village having no mains water for 8 days now. Problem with main pipe somewhere. If i got into a routine then i would worry about staying here. But at present thats not happening and hopefully wont. Yes you have to have a little sructure throughout the day but even those structured things can be moved around. 

Ive taken over the house cleaning as well. As the mrs works. 

Thailand Thailand....Lovely Open country with beautiful landscape and people who do have a heart.

What got me off my rocker was the fact that you were constantly nagged.....Its normal to retire and live a normal lifestyle. But NO...Not in Thailand.

1. You have to go through these 90 day checks...they want to see if you are alive. It has got easier with this govt. but still a hazzle. Why cant they make a digital system and have retirees an ID like in Hong Kong?

2, Then you need to keep 800.000 blocked in a bank and produce receipt of it each year when you go to renew your pension visa.

3.  The constant hackling and having to play games with the immigration officials that seem to make up things as they go along.

a. No working - Painting your own house or doing some manual work around your own house could put you into position to pay a fine from 50.000Baht. What nonsense is this. A retiree should be able to do the things he loves to do around his own house. Its his property and his money and bloodywell his hobby so what the cracker is this.....Retirement benefits for Thai employment.

b. There are jobs that only Thais can do

c. Farang is always farang and always in the wrong. The legal system does not protect. its only there to make the process a maze to both its own citizen and the rest of the world.

After spending money and making sure of the loops. It seemed to get out of hand and I thought it best to leave the country.

I am presently in Sri Lanka. It costs me 10.000Rs for a Residential visa or Retirement visa. Which is  100$. I can choose my own home, work in it and also be treated as a local. I do not have to jump loops in a circus as in Thailand. And besides most people do speak English and its easy to get about and do the things that I love doing as a retiree.

Happy I left Thailand nothing to loose!!!!

Being single is a real advantage when choosing whether to retire in Thailand or another place. I have often said that if I was single and not having any history in Thailand I may just choose to live in another country such as Vietnam; Cambodia or even Laos. As so many have said- Thailand has its irritants and its great points.  The best answer is to come- stay a year and then decide if you want to make it permanent. It really is an individual choice based upon your income; your personality and what you want out of life. 

7 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

This is the advice I give to anyone thinking of moving to Thailand. They need to do three things:

1 - Watch Thai tv at any time of the day or evening to familiarise yourself with the Thai mentality.

2 - Read the English language newspapers for a week to familiarise yourself with the daily tales of corruption.

3 - Spend an hour or two watching the way the locals drive to familiairise yourself with the 'Me first' mentality.

Then make your mind up if it is the country for you.

I do exactly the opposite - I try and show them places and things they might enjoy...

1. Take them for a 100 baht foot massage at the temple

2. go to an enjoyable restaurant surrounded by plush greenery

3. introduce them to Thai people & encourage them to learn about the language & culture

I think getting people off to a positive start makes them much more likely to enjoy their stay here.... 

1 hour ago, alanferdi said:

Thailand Thailand....Lovely Open country with beautiful landscape and people who do have a heart.

What got me off my rocker was the fact that you were constantly nagged.....Its normal to retire and live a normal lifestyle. But NO...Not in Thailand.

1. You have to go through these 90 day checks...they want to see if you are alive. It has got easier with this govt. but still a hazzle. Why cant they make a digital system and have retirees an ID like in Hong Kong?

2, Then you need to keep 800.000 blocked in a bank and produce receipt of it each year when you go to renew your pension visa.

3.  The constant hackling and having to play games with the immigration officials that seem to make up things as they go along.

a. No working - Painting your own house or doing some manual work around your own house could put you into position to pay a fine from 50.000Baht. What nonsense is this. A retiree should be able to do the things he loves to do around his own house. Its his property and his money and bloodywell his hobby so what the cracker is this.....Retirement benefits for Thai employment.

c. Farang is always farang and always in the wrong. The legal system does not protect. its only there to make the process a maze to both its own citizen and the rest of the world.

After spending money and making sure of the loops. It seemed to get out of hand and I thought it best to leave the country.

I am presently in Sri Lanka. It costs me 10.000Rs for a Residential visa or Retirement visa. Which is  100$. I can choose my own home, work in it and also be treated as a local. I do not have to jump loops in a circus as in Thailand. And besides most people do speak English and its easy to get about and do the things that I love doing as a retiree.

Good glad you found peace over there. Was there for 7 yrs loved it but not somewhere i would want to retire in. 

Language is my biggest headache. I did learn Thai in Chiang Mai but the Isaan region is a new learning curve.

Having a Thai wife overcomes almost all obstacles.

By saying Thai wife, my wife is university educated and family oriented in my case.

The more in common you have the better.

If $$$ is tight, retiring to LOS will not make it better.

We live in Fang - 150km from CNX & 100km from Chiang Rai.

Advantages & Disadvantages

Local Immigration Office for 90 day reporting. Its prime purpose is to cater for the Burmese.

Facilities include Makro & LOTUS.

No golf course.

Very few expats live in the area.

Compared to BKK and Pattaya/Phuket, the cost of living is much cheaper.

1 hour ago, jeab1980 said:

Good glad you found peace over there. Was there for 7 yrs loved it but not somewhere i would want to retire in. 

Could you elaborate a bit on why you don't think it is a place for retirement ?

27 minutes ago, tonray said:

Could you elaborate a bit on why you don't think it is a place for retirement ?

No other reason apart it wasnt for me. Loved it whilst there working jyst couldnt see me liking it when retired.

I took a peek at your profile; OP; and it has your year of birth as 1985. On that basis, you cannot extend a visa for retirement purposes for another 18 years. 
I suggest working as long as you can, putting by as much as you can for retirement.
NB. If in the UK, you cannot buy an annuity until age 55. 
Who buys annuities these days?

I find the hot season tougher and tougher to take every year. Not being able to go out for a walk during the day without coming back a sweaty mess is no fun.

We're back to leaving every year from mid April or so until July or so. And considering making it even longer.
I find wearing a wife beater is so much better than a shirt on a very hot day

3 hours ago, alanferdi said:

In response to your post.

1.   I do a 90 day (ish) report in Khampaeng Phet when I go up for a bulk shop. It is no problem for me as I am there anyway.

2.   You only need 800,00 baht in the bank if you cannot produce enough income of 65,000 baht a month. I do it the income way as it is easier.

3.   I have changed Immigration offices this year but for 6 years there was no problem. The new office only want a couple of other bits of paper which I can do easily.

3a.    I cut the grass around the house and do many other jobs and in over 13 years no Thai has been bothered about what I do.

3b.  Of course there are jobs that only Thais can do. They are welcome to those jobs as I don't want to do them.

3c.  Farang are always farang but they are not always in the wrong as you seem to suggest. I have had no problems with the legal systems here but then again I keep my nose clean and don't bother or hassle people.

quote "I am presently in Sri Lanka. It costs me 10.000Rs for a Residential visa or Retirement visa. Which is  100$."

My retirement visa costs me only 1,900 thb a year which is cheaper than Sri Lanka.

I live in my wifes house, work in it and on it and don't have to jump through hoops to do so. I have my own car, 2 motorbikes and I am free to travel where I like in Thailand. It is easy to get about either in the truck, motorbike , long distance busesetc. I have many local Thai friends and quite a few speak English and for those who don't we muddle along in broken Thai and broken English. Again no big problem.

I am happy that you have left Thailand as you were obviously not happy here.

The odd thing is that according to your avatar your location is still in Thailand.

I, OTOH, am quite happy here and intend toi stay until I die when I will live in the spirit house in the front garden.

9 hours ago, billd766 said:

In response to your post.

1.   I do a 90 day (ish) report in Khampaeng Phet when I go up for a bulk shop. It is no problem for me as I am there anyway.

2.   You only need 800,00 baht in the bank if you cannot produce enough income of 65,000 baht a month. I do it the income way as it is easier.

3.   I have changed Immigration offices this year but for 6 years there was no problem. The new office only want a couple of other bits of paper which I can do easily.

3a.    I cut the grass around the house and do many other jobs and in over 13 years no Thai has been bothered about what I do.

3b.  Of course there are jobs that only Thais can do. They are welcome to those jobs as I don't want to do them.

3c.  Farang are always farang but they are not always in the wrong as you seem to suggest. I have had no problems with the legal systems here but then again I keep my nose clean and don't bother or hassle people.

quote "I am presently in Sri Lanka. It costs me 10.000Rs for a Residential visa or Retirement visa. Which is  100$."

My retirement visa costs me only 1,900 thb a year which is cheaper than Sri Lanka.

I live in my wifes house, work in it and on it and don't have to jump through hoops to do so. I have my own car, 2 motorbikes and I am free to travel where I like in Thailand. It is easy to get about either in the truck, motorbike , long distance busesetc. I have many local Thai friends and quite a few speak English and for those who don't we muddle along in broken Thai and broken English. Again no big problem.

I am happy that you have left Thailand as you were obviously not happy here.

The odd thing is that according to your avatar your location is still in Thailand.

I, OTOH, am quite happy here and intend toi stay until I die when I will live in the spirit house in the front garden.

I also have never had a problem with being treated unfairly as a farang... I was hit 2x in my car and both times the police found in my favor as the other party was obviously in the wrong. Once the police actually got annoyed at the truck driver for trying to put the blame on me. 

I do not find the immigration laws difficult either, but then again, I simply qualify. But, I don't understand the people who come here, know the rules and still complain about it. We don't get to make the rules here - that would seem obvious. And for sure, it would be far more difficult for a Thai to even get a tourist visa to my home country than it is for me to get a retirement visa to stay here year round. 

7 hours ago, kenk24 said:

I also have never had a problem with being treated unfairly as a farang... I was hit 2x in my car and both times the police found in my favor as the other party was obviously in the wrong. Once the police actually got annoyed at the truck driver for trying to put the blame on me. 

I think it depends on your personality.  If you're the abrasive type, argumentative, arrogant etc., you're going to get a lot more problems in all areas of life in Thailand. If you're amiable, respectful and grounded, you're probably going to have an easier (and happier) time here. I suspect you are the latter.

Edited by CG1 Blue
Typo