Did anyone end up hating Thailand after retiring?

Aing123

On ‎9‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 9:46 AM, JAFO said:

I was one that expanded the landownership around the house my wife grew up in but I wanted to live there. I had traveled all over Thailand and lived in many places and I love the North. We considered other locations and lived in a few for a few months or looked around when traveling. Where we live has all I need and desire.  Central Mall with some western comforts about 20 minutes away. Immigration 10 minutes. Airport the same as well as extremely good medical services in the event of an emergency. Additionally outstanding weather, quiet clean area, river to fish for fun and if I want, 1 hr from me is CM.

But again This was well thought out and why I always state Location is everything.   

I actually loved living in the rural village, but being a 3 hour bus trip from the nearest city is too far.

In the end, we left because of the family, but it was too late to save the marriage anyway.

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

42 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Please explain. I have no idea what that means, and if even google can't produce more than 8 meaningless results is it even real?

ไปเที่ยว  Technically it means "go travel", but it always refers to a pleasure trip, something with an element of wandering.  

For example, once we went to Nan with Thai friends.  Some expats friends asked "how long does it take to go to Nan". and I said "I don't know because it took us nine hours.  We stopped within the first 45 minutes for petrol and snacks at a 7/11.  Then noodles at the best noodle shop in (I forget the city), then off to a beautiful wat in another, later a little shopping at an OTOP shop along the way, later a stop for a real lunch, an hour later stop for coffee, then go look at a famous tree, and so it went, all the way to Nan.  We were never in the van for more than 45 minutes.  

At first this style of traveling drove me crazy and it helped that I was studying Thai with a tutor who used these trips as an opportunity to have Thai conversation and explain the concept of pai thaew.  Her family did one almost every weekend when she was growing up, going to every province in Thailand.

But, I got to love traveling this way that when we went to Kanchanaburi with British friends it was maddening to be told, OK, we've mapped the trip and will stop here, here and here at highway rest stops that have good toilet facilities.  We have coolers of refreshments on board so there should be no further need to stop. With  good tail wind, we should be in Kanachanaburi in XX hours.  Huh?  Was this a race?  

On ‎9‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 10:24 PM, Kadilo said:

Nice post. It's good to hear a positive side rather than the continuous negativity this site tends to attract.
I'm sure there are, as you say, many many continuing success stories which far outweigh the rest but are too busy enjoying life to spend on here.
I wish you well.
Maybe there should be a thread where all the positive experiences can post to get a balanced view so newbies are not scared into thinking of settling down here.
Food for thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

The happy people are too busy being happy to waste their time on TVF all day, as many of us do.

BTW, there is nothing to stop you starting a positive thread.

Can't link to your quote so I'll add to yours.
Some people can't adapt to retirement because they have nothing else in their life. I was lucky in that I worked to live, not lived to work.
Loved being retired from the moment I walked out of workplace for the last time. Now I have time to do what I want, not spend my time working with bullies and for the ungrateful just to make money.
People should have something in their life while still working that is nothing to do with work, and can be done after retirement. Don't wait till retirement to look for something to do.

I'm kinda regretting saying yes.
Never regret any opportunity to make some cash after retirement, as long as it's not as bad as working used to be.

" I'm kinda regretting saying yes " partly because I've moved into a new house and have a million and one jobs to do and partly because the job is Saudi.

But, although I've plenty to keep me busy, none of it is urgent, it's an ongoing project and I do like diy even if, by my own admission, I'm not the best or quickest at it !
As for Saudi, I've been before a few times and know how hot and noisy it is inside the plant, plus, I've been out of the game since last November so that is adding to my insecurity.

But, I guess I'll find after a couple of days I'm back into it and the money will sure come in handy !!

1 hour ago, NancyL said:

SNIP -- Many of these guys routinely pay women to service their sexual needs. SNIP2

As attributed to Charlie Sheen in answering a Judge why someone like he has to pay money for sex:

I don't pay them for sex -- I pay them to leave after sex.

Edited by JLCrab

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Everything is OK till it isn't. I was happily married too, till I wasn't.

My point is that getting married or buying a house is a bet that it will work out ie gambling on life. Renting accommodation and not getting married is not betting on things being OK, but allowing for flexibility and increases the chance of a content life. In Thailand there is no shortage of rental housing or prospective unmarried partners.

I agree with you up to a point.

If you should ask my first wife if we were happily married she would probably have agreed with you, until we weren't.

That was much more my fault than hers and she got the house, alimony, car etc while I walked away with my pensions and what could fit in a Ford Mondeo estate car.

Edited by billd766
bad spelling

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The happy people are too busy being happy to waste their time on TVF all day, as many of us do.

BTW, there is nothing to stop you starting a positive thread.

I could point out at least 3 dozen + posters as a reason not to open a positive thread. I would give it 2 replies before the doom and gloom merchants owned it.

1 minute ago, jeab1980 said:

I could point out at least 3 dozen + posters as a reason not to open a positive thread. I would give it 2 replies before the doom and gloom merchants owned it.

There have been a few over the years which were closed as the whiners and groaners couldn't understand how farangs could be happy, married with families, farang and Thai friends, so they swamped the threads withy negative comments.

Well before the doom merchants swamp this thread. I would like to point out Iam happy both with my Thai wife and my life in Thailand. I can think of a thousand reasons why. I can also think of a thousand reasons why i wouldnt be happy back in my birth country.

Just now, jeab1980 said:

Well before the doom merchants swamp this thread. I would like to point out Iam happy both with my Thai wife and my life in Thailand. I can think of a thousand reasons why. I can also think of a thousand reasons why i wouldnt be happy back in my birth country.

Relationships can be different to yours, a different country can be difficult for some, we are all different regarding expectations.....:stoner:...I am lucky, Mrs.Trans likes my....love-song-smiley-emoticon.gif.80910492eb06f7b1d25ec54afdeb7bba.gif

5 hours ago, NancyL said:

Yes, I can very much see there is a spectrum of "sexpat to expat" here.  In my experience, the most successful retirees are those who have both Thai and expat friends.  Those who hook up with a Thai partner soon on arrival and get immersed in her world become quite isolated, often deluding themselves into thing they're living "the real Thai experience" but in reality they're quite lonely and can get into big trouble when they have problems.

Recently, I assisted a guy who has lived here in Chiang Mai seven years and found himself in hospital without anyone to help.  He kept the management of all his finances to himself.  He had a few Thai lady friends, but thought he was being smart never to get intimate with them -- they just showed him around the area and used him as a small scale ATM to buy things for their kids.  The women would take him (and their kids) out to restaurants, even in the big malls in Chiang Mai.  The poor guy had never eaten at Dukes or Wine Connection in the CM Malls.  The Thai women had never suggested it.  They liked places like MBK, KFC, etc. in the malls. My goodness how can you call yourself a CM expat for seven years and not even know what Dukes is?  This is what happens when you rely on a Thai woman to make your dining choices for you.   

Also in my experience when you go for a meal with your Thai partner, from their point of view it is more of an eat the food at the table and then get up and go straight away rather than an enjoy the surroundings relaxing and the eating out ambience. Once the food is eaten they normally just suggest kep tang and then lets go..

I responded to a topic similar to this that I have a great time here in Thailand and someone responded that someone like myself will never fit in to Thailand. I noticed the same guy also started a topic about whether UK expats are feeling the misery from adverse exchange rates.

I guess maybe a good way to fit in is to miserable.

3 minutes ago, paulo59 said:

Also in my experience when you go for a meal with your Thai partner, from their point of view it is more of an eat the food at the table and then get up and go straight away rather than an enjoy the surroundings relaxing and the eating out ambience. Once the food is eaten they normally just suggest kep tang and then lets go..

That is me. Fancy restaurants really aren't my thing. So once finished eating, pay the bill and go.   

2 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

" I'm kinda regretting saying yes " partly because I've moved into a new house and have a million and one jobs to do and partly because the job is Saudi.

But, although I've plenty to keep me busy, none of it is urgent, it's an ongoing project and I do like diy even if, by my own admission, I'm not the best or quickest at it !
As for Saudi, I've been before a few times and know how hot and noisy it is inside the plant, plus, I've been out of the game since last November so that is adding to my insecurity.

But, I guess I'll find after a couple of days I'm back into it and the money will sure come in handy !!

One thing you may have yet to learn about retirement is that the million and one jobs can usually wait a bit, but the opportunity to earn a bit extra cash may not happen again. Few employers want old people.

As for Saudi, I worked there, and while I hated the mutawa, they didn't hassle me, being male, and I did make the most of the chance to observe a very alien culture first hand. Money's great too.

Don't know whether 'hate' is what I felt, but I certainly got a dose of Thailand overload!

I've lived in Thailand close to a decade living here 100% of the time.

Not sure what triggered it, but Christmas last year I think the insanity of the place just kind of got to me and decided there was no way I could be here all the time.

Moved back to the US earlier this year, and must admit now I feel calmer and my sanity has returned. 

Planning to do the snowbird thing, summer in the US, winter in Thailand.

I think many of us just need a break from the place, although this year Mrs Gin wants to experience snow for the first time in her life!

Maybe had I not decided to go home for at least a while I might have grown to hate it, or maybe frustrated with the place and it's people might be more appropriate

10 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

Don't know whether 'hate' is what I felt, but I certainly got a dose of Thailand overload!

I've lived in Thailand close to a decade living here 100% of the time.

Not sure what triggered it, but Christmas last year I think the insanity of the place just kind of got to me and decided there was no way I could be here all the time.

Moved back to the US earlier this year, and must admit now I feel calmer and my sanity has returned. 

Planning to do the snowbird thing, summer in the US, winter in Thailand.

I think many of us just need a break from the place, although this year Mrs Gin wants to experience snow for the first time in her life!

Maybe had I not decided to go home for at least a while I might have grown to hate it, or maybe frustrated with the place and it's people might be more appropriate

Could you not just have moved to somewhere less "crazy" in LOS?

Plenty of such exist. I've been in them. Just the airfares for you two every year would fund an exceptional lifestyle here.

Good Evening,

E/S  has been a happy go lucky  self funded retiree for 16 yrs plus, mostly in a  C/mai rural village in Maerim and have  opposite  opinions to NancyL views:smile:been with my old shelia for 15 yrs ,and raised her daughter as if she was my own,since she was 6yrs old,my step daughter is now in her last year at the Kings University C/Rai, and has made excellent progress ,she has obtained a 3.83 out of 4 marks over 6 siemsters, through hard work and dedication etc etc,even with hindesight E/S  would not changed  his retirement in C/Mai ,made a few wrong decisions,but just a kick in the shins (so to speak)and have just adjusted to what ever has  confronted me,good or bad,   these days i,am so happy just to wake up  in the morning and enjoy another day of retirement in C/mai.....P.S . do get well NancyL:smile:

Edited by evenstevens

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Could you not just have moved to somewhere less "crazy" in LOS?

Plenty of such exist. I've been in them. Just the airfares for you two every year would fund an exceptional lifestyle here.

No I think the entire country is somewhat unhinged, regardless of where.

No for me having a break is going to work out fine. Maybe i just need to be among people people who's brains work fundamentally the same as mine, for a least a few months of the year.

Fairly sure Thai brains work on a different frequency!

7 hours ago, paulo59 said:

Yes, I think there may be some truth to this with some socio-economic classes in Thailand.  Sometimes, we're invited to a predominately Thai wine club that gets together monthly at an upscale restaurant, with each attendee bringing a bottle of wine and I can tell you there is no eat-and-get-up-and-go with this group.  You'd better bring a fairly good bottle of wine, because at the beginning of the evening the MC (a Thai) uses the "wine apps" on his smartphone to research the wines, and organizes the order of pouring for the evening.  Each guest is expected to give a little intro to their bottle and saying "I picked this up at Rim Ping on my way to this dinner" isn't quite the intro that's expected, as we learned the first time we went.

...... But, we've digressed significantly from the OP's question of "did anyone ever end up hating Thailand after retiring"? and the answer clearly is yes, some have.

But my point is, that many more don't and furthermore there are more opportunities here to do things that you wouldn't be able to do in your home country in retirement.  Do you think I'd be able to go into the fanciest restaurants in the second largest city in the U.S. and participate in a invitation-only hi-so wine club with high officials, bringing a bottle of wine I bought at the local supermarket,  just because my husband was the president of some rinky-dink 25-member suburban Rotary Club?  I don't think so.

I suspect Even Stevens would admit his Four Seasons lifestyle in beautiful MaeRim wouldn't be what his retirement would be like in Australia, either.

7 hours ago, NancyL said:

<snip> Do you think I'd be able to go into the fanciest restaurants in the second largest city in the U.S. and participate in a invitation-only hi-so wine club with high officials, bringing a bottle of wine I bought at the local supermarket ... <snip2>

That kinda presumes one would want to be able to go into the fanciest restaurants in the second largest city in the U.S. and participate in a invitation-only hi-so wine club with high officials, bringing a bottle of wine I bought at the local supermarket ...

3 hours ago, JLCrab said:

That kinda presumes one would want to be able to go into the fanciest restaurants in the second largest city in the U.S. and participate in a invitation-only hi-so wine club with high officials, bringing a bottle of wine I bought at the local supermarket ...

Yes, of course.  That's not everyone's cup of tea.  But the point is you can.

10 hours ago, NancyL said:

I suspect Even Stevens would admit his Four Seasons lifestyle in beautiful MaeRim wouldn't be what his retirement would be like in Australia, either.

No not at all, E/S could have chosen a number of places along Australia,s eastern seaboard at least equal  or better to  my retirement in C/mai Beverly Hills Maerim, but chose  the latter and have,nt looked back(touch wood):smile: Nancy  if you and your hubby led a normal retirement in C/mai ,feel certain your views  would change to a postive way   of  thinking, and both of you,s would not be off to Malaysia,for another crack at it,in saying that. best of luck for the future, a very nice morning to all