Flying home to UK at 13:05, fly back from Chang Mai that morning?

mrblonde

We're planning 4 weeks in thailand in November/Dec and fly home to the UK from BKK on Sat 2nd Dec at 13:05.  We will be spending our last 8 nights in Chang Mai and was wondering if it will be pushing it flying back into Don Muang that morning, and travelling across the city to Suvarnabhumi to catch our 13:05 flight home?

Is it do-able please?

We almost always book a Chiang Mai to Bangkok flight with an airline that services Suvarnabhumi directly when neeeding to meet our International connection, 

Sometimes we will travel down the night before and get a hotel near the Airport and enjoy a relaxed last evening in Bangkok.

The free shuttle bus between the airports http://www.suvarnabhumiairport.com/en/122-suvarnabhumi-airport-free-shuttle-bus

Normally takes about an hour or so, but what if ____(enter possible scenario)_______?

It is certainly do-able but could be a little too rushed for my liking.

Travel time between between DMK and BKK has always been 45 mins to 1 hour for me even on the free AOT bus.  Flying straight into BKK is another option and not necessarily lots more money, sometimes cheaper than into DMK. Thai Viet Jet, Bangkok Airways, Thai Smile. 

4 hours ago, rickthailand said:

just take the 7am flight to bkk and youll be fine

6:15h to Suvarnabhumi with Thai Smile.

Zero risk by schedule.

Just the usual risks of life (technical problem etc.).

Even a bit tooo early but still better sitting around in Suv. instead of shuttling through the city.

First flights to DMK

AirAsia 8:20h

NokAir 7:45h

LionAir 6:50h (and 8:00h)

The LionAir would of course work fine.

But why have the hassle with airport change?

These flights could serve as an emergency backup if something goes wrong with the ThaiSmile flight.

2 hours ago, CNXBKKMAN said:

Thai Viet Jet, Bangkok Airways, Thai Smile. 

Thanks for the addition!

Bangkok Airways 6:55h to BKK (Suv.).

A well reputed airline.

ThaiSmile would cost 1180 Baht inkl. 20 kg baggage per adult (when booked today, don't expect it to become significantly cheaper).

So many options/fallbacks.

So to answer the original question "is it doable": YES.

Thanks everyone, good few options there.  Only reason I chose DMK as we are flying into DMK a week before from Buriram, so assumed easier to stay in DMK and get a flight to Chang ai from DMK.

We could go from DMK to Suvarnabhumi and fly from there to Chang Mai, and back the morning of our flight.

I'll have a look, as was only using AirAsia website as was told the better carrier for internal flights...

Cheers all.. Next on my list is decinig where in Chang Mai to stay, what part of the city

I am not sure whether I get your previous post right?

(Most) all domestic flights can be booked oneway without extra cost.

You have no cost advantage on booking a return flight.

So anytime when coming from Buriram you can fly from DMK to CNX oneway and with another airline back to BKK the following week.

AirAsia is "OK", but there are better (like Bangkok Airways) and there are worse (like NokAir).

1 hour ago, mrblonde said:

Cheers all.. Next on my list is decinig where in Chang Mai to stay, what part of the city

Another topic altogether, but depending on budget, my choice of base would be a good 4 star around the Night Bazaar or close to the moat on the eastern side of the old city.

Hope you have a wonderful trip.

5 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

I am not sure whether I get your previous post right?

(Most) all domestic flights can be booked oneway without extra cost.

You have no cost advantage on booking a return flight.

So anytime when coming from Buriram you can fly from DMK to CNX oneway and with another airline back to BKK the following week.

AirAsia is "OK", but there are better (like Bangkok Airways) and there are worse (like NokAir).

Sorry KhunBENQ, only just woke up in the UK.  Hadnt even dawned on me to book 2 x 1 way flights... Khup

I blame a week of night shifts for me missing that one....

thanks again

2 minutes ago, Paul Catton said:

Another topic altogether, but depending on budget, my choice of base would be a good 4 star around the Night Bazaar or close to the moat on the eastern side of the old city.

Hope you have a wonderful trip.

Thanks Paul, will be pestering the local forum on here about Chang Mai no doubt.  We cant wait, bought my english gf last year to BKK, Ayutthaya and Pattaya (Yes, i know............ was visiting an ex-pat friend who lives there), and she loved it, even Pattaya. This year want to see other parts of the country too, hence Buriram and Chang Mai

Also, how long will i need to give myself between landing in DM airport, to getting on a flight to Chang Mai from DMK?   We land back in DMK at 16:05, so whats the safest, earliest time i should look for a flight for?   

Asking as no idea what internal immigration/checks/delays/workers sat round with their feet up etc etc

1.only someone who has no clue at all would FLY to Buriram-an airport (of course yet another old USAF-airbase) thats 60/70 kms away from town without proper transpo.

2.what anyone forgets who is glued to their screens etc; in dec. its ,yes, even in TH, WINTER=cold season, that leads often to a thing named FOG or MIST early morning (does not happen daily, but esp. is prone in the north), which I also experienced my last flite home from there-with CNX airport a refugee camp (my flite was planned for 10.30 or so) as only by that time planes were coming from BKK-oh, sure, they got it all on schedule late afternoon-but in your case.......

Thats what one gets if anyone thinks he can play for travel-agent without any due training for it.

On 29/08/2017 at 6:58 PM, asanee said:

1.only someone who has no clue at all would FLY to Buriram-an airport (of course yet another old USAF-airbase) thats 60/70 kms away from town without proper transpo.

2.what anyone forgets who is glued to their screens etc; in dec. its ,yes, even in TH, WINTER=cold season, that leads often to a thing named FOG or MIST early morning (does not happen daily, but esp. is prone in the north), which I also experienced my last flite home from there-with CNX airport a refugee camp (my flite was planned for 10.30 or so) as only by that time planes were coming from BKK-oh, sure, they got it all on schedule late afternoon-but in your case.......

Thats what one gets if anyone thinks he can play for travel-agent without any due training for it.

1. I havent said I wont be looking into or asking about transfers from the airport yet, and I thought it was about 30Km away, not 70?  If someone can confirm, it'd be great.

2. Our flights into, and out of Buriram are in the afternoon, so I'll hope the mist has cleared

3. I'm certainly not playing travel agent at all, which is the reason I'm asking on this forum, for advice, from locals and experts.  So far, everyones been great. 

To all the other Buriram/Isaan people, am I really clueless to be travelling to Buriram i November for a 5 night break?

5 hours ago, mrblonde said:

and I thought it was about 30Km away, not 70?  If someone can confirm, it'd be great.

It's about 30 km from Buriram city center.

To the north on highway 219.

A fair price for a taxi would be about 300 Baht (if the family has no transport).

Your question about domestic transfer at DMK.

DMK is busy and crowded at many times.

It will be no better around December.

Again you have the usual risks, flight arriving in time?, waiting for baggage and then queue at check-in for next flight. If all goes well one hour would be enough.

Two hours should be enough even under crowded situations.

On 9/1/2017 at 7:39 AM, Chivas said:

If the flight to uk is void should you miss it if an aircraft goes tech from Chang Mai then its a no brainer to go the previous evening.....why on earth pressure yourselves with that risk

Indeed. In addition the long haul flight back to the UK is tiring enough without in addition stressing oneself in advance out running/flying around all morning beforehand. It is an absolute no brainer to go the day before. If on the other hand the home flight was leaving at night, then OK, you have got a few hours to relax, check into a pay-lounge, have a shower and decompress.