Look what Thailand could do if there was no corruption

webfact

Look what Thailand could do if there was no corruption

3pm.jpg

Picture: Sanook

A Thai man has gone online to show what could be achieved if the country was not mired in corruption.

Krerkphon Jongeuamklang, 37, from Korat, donated 400,000 so that a road could be built leading to a temple.

Under the name "Maek Mangorn Bin" on Facebook he explained that the money he spent had gone a long way to providing a much needed and good quality concrete road.

He said that if officials didn't help themselves to public money the country could have great roads like this at minimal costs.

The story was reported by Sanook after getting much attention on the internet.

Source: Sanook

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-08-29

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thailand should do what India did - release a totally new 1000baht note and render all the rest obsolete then anyone trying to exchange large amounts of cash needs to show where it came from, I would guess there are many many people holding huge amounts of cash that they shouldn't have

2 minutes ago, smedly said:

Thailand should do what India did - release a totally new 1000baht note and render all the rest obsolete then anyone trying to exchange large amounts of cash needs to show where it came from, I would guess there are many many people holding huge amounts of cash that they shouldn't have

I'm not sure everyone would have to show where the money came from; there must surely be some exceptions?

1 hour ago, webfact said:

Krerkphon Jongeuamklang, 37, from Korat, donated 400,000 so that a road could be built leading to a temple.

He should be nominated for P.M., neither of the two main parties will ever do it though. Career politicians everywhere have adopted the me first philosophy, Better luck next time for their constituents.

39 minutes ago, Thaiwrath said:

400,000 ?. I'm sure someone has had a slice of the cake.

I bet the constriction company boss has a nice house somewhere.

Depending of length and width. Going constructor price is to my knowledge normally 2,000 baht to 3,000 baht per running meter for a 3 meter wide steel reinforced 15-20 cm thick waterproof cementdeck (waterproof for minimize cracks, costs a few hundred baht extra per cubic meter cement mix).

Had just 200 meter (204 meter to be exact) 3 m wide and 15 cm thick private road made. We all shared, and one of the users is building constructor that supported by cutting some 20%, or rather 40,000 baht, off the cost price, so in total we other shared 380,000 baht. Seem like cost price, without constructor's overhead, is about 2,000+ baht pr running meter. About 6 years ago we had a quote from an external building constructor for the same road, but about 50 (54) meters longer, he wanted 800,000 baht for the job; i.e. 3,000 baht a meter.

I made 12 meter long and almost 3½ meter wide cement road at my entrance, used 2 small cement trucks with 2 cubic meters each, and if I remember right it was about 8,000 bath in all – i.e. around 2,000 baht pr. cubic meter including the extra for water proof – the steel and workers I had already, working on my house. So if you have the workers and the edge molds (wood or...), and don't include steel, you can probably make a nice 15-20 cm thick and 3 meter wide cement deck for something like 700 baht per meter...:smile:

If some good fairy waved a magic wand and overnight stopped corruption in Thailand the economy would collapse in a disastrous heap. Thailand has one of the biggest shadow economies in the world where corruption money spreads right throughout the country and keeps the wheels of the economy turning. This is the opening paragraph of the following article which explains why.

"Ever wondered why Thailand isn't simply falling apart in it's endless spiral of corruption, military coups, over-challenged governments, volatile economic environment, substandard education and poor law enforcement?"

http://investvine.com/thailands-shadow-economy-among-biggest-globally/

27 minutes ago, kangaloowest said:

Then why bother to speak...........??

You do realise forums aren't just places to be a smart ****, sometimes they can be used, horror of horrors, to discuss issues and shockingly to express surprise.

Who'd have thought it, eh...

Edited by Bluespunk

2 hours ago, colinneil said:

Well done sir, pity there were not millions more like you.

Sad fact is corruption is embedded in society here and will never be stopped.

Never as in No Chance ; twisted morals here do not even comprehend it is 'wrong'

2 hours ago, colinneil said:

Well done sir, pity there were not millions more like you.

Sad fact is corruption is embedded in society here and will never be stopped.

And what was Mother England like 150 or 200 years ago? And what changed it? Top-Down benevolence by the rich & powerful?

I don't think so. Bottom-Up self-awareness with increasing literacy, spreading education, & worker organizations did it, helped along by steadily improving communication links. Exactly what we see happening everywhere in the world today with modern communications & social networks. Takes a while to get going, but all these things - corruption, injustice, Yingluck & so on - are now on Facebook & all over the internet, even in Thailand. Which means that Thailand is slowly changing before our eyes. And for the better.

No reason to be cynical & depressed.

2 hours ago, khunPer said:

Depending of length and width. Going constructor price is to my knowledge normally 2,000 baht to 3,000 baht per running meter for a 3 meter wide steel reinforced 15-20 cm thick waterproof cementdeck (waterproof for minimize cracks, costs a few hundred baht extra per cubic meter cement mix).

Had just 200 meter (204 meter to be exact) 3 m wide and 15 cm thick private road made. We all shared, and one of the users is building constructor that supported by cutting some 20%, or rather 40,000 baht, off the cost price, so in total we other shared 380,000 baht. Seem like cost price, without constructor's overhead, is about 2,000+ baht pr running meter. About 6 years ago we had a quote from an external building constructor for the same road, but about 50 (54) meters longer, he wanted 800,000 baht for the job; i.e. 3,000 baht a meter.

I made 12 meter long and almost 3½ meter wide cement road at my entrance, used 2 small cement trucks with 2 cubic meters each, and if I remember right it was about 8,000 bath in all – i.e. around 2,000 baht pr. cubic meter including the extra for water proof – the steel and workers I had already, working on my house. So if you have the workers and the edge molds (wood or...), and don't include steel, you can probably make a nice 15-20 cm thick and 3 meter wide cement deck for something like 700 baht per meter...:smile:

Genuine interest. What did you put or what was under the concrete?

I'm looking at about max 40 metres long and 4 metres wide.

Edited by overherebc

17 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

You do realise forums aren't just places to be a smart ****, sometimes they can be used, horror of horrors, to discuss issues and shockingly to express surprise.

Who'd have thought it, eh...

What's the four  **** suppose to mean ???

"Forums can be used to discuss issues and to express surprise".
So do tell, what were you actually trying to do, when you made that duhh comment:-

"Didn't realise concrete made good roads.

Then again I know nothing about building roads..."

Was that actually to discuss an issue or express surprise ???

4 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

Well done that man for devoting his time and money to improving conditions in his area.

My one and only piece of advice for him......"Please ignore the armchair farang knockers of your efforts".

1 hour ago, kangaloowest said:

What's the four  **** suppose to mean ???

"Forums can be used to discuss issues and to express surprise".
So do tell, what were you actually trying to do, when you made that duhh comment:-

"Didn't realise concrete made good roads.

Then again I know nothing about building roads..."

Was that actually to discuss an issue or express surprise ???

DUH!

What do you think?

{That's a duh comment by the way,  correct spelling as well.

and yes I am being a smart **** here...]

Edited by Bluespunk

5 hours ago, smedly said:

I think you'd find that most Thais convert it to lumps of gold rather than having millions of Baht cash laying around......

1 hour ago, Dave67 said:

Yes they could build a 100mm (4 inch) concrete road on a dirty block paving Foundation, Quite expensive actually for something that will fall to pieces in a year or two

The 'dirty blocks' aren't. That's wire grid on the sand base.

5 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

Its more about the officials in the mooban and not the construction company bosses. My FIL too was offer to build a road of around 500 meters but he would only get 20-30% of that money. The guys and gals that control the budget are the one that take most out of it.

4 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

Well done that man.... but your statements are pissing in the wind.  Too many people in Local Authorities living very comfortable lives thanks to continued corruption.  It will never change here unless a few executions take place.

How about a few more 42 year prison sentences - regardless of shirt colour?