BKK Resident get a license in Pattaya?

GoDucks

Hi everyone.  Stupid me--not only did my license expire but I lost it--have to start from scratch.

I have been told its dead easy to get a license in Pattaya.  That you basically just show your overseas license and they give you a Thai license.

True?

Next, if this is true, and its significantly easier to get a license in pattaya than in BKK, can I have a BKK residence certificate?  or I need to get one that ways I live in Pattaya?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by GoDucks

Why come to Pattaya, Bkk is easy to get a license, I dont think you will find any big difference in Pattaya. The usual med cert, Res cert, reflex test etc. Unless things have changed greatly in BKK, the same requirements.

I got mine in BKK a couple of years ago at the big main office (using home lisense), arrived at 2pm and had car and bike license at 3pm. As you say, things change. 

Using existing home license to get a Thai license is usually straight forward at most DLTs, a new license from scratch can be different per DLT.

I renewed my 5 year in Pattaya a few weeks ago. Took more than 4 hours from the time you do the colour, reaction and perception tests, sit through a safety movie for nearly an hour, get in a queue to pay, then another queue for photo, then wait until they call your name that the licence is ready. It also depends on how busy they are that particular day, they may tell you to come back in the afternoon or the next day.

Edited by giddyup

2 minutes ago, giddyup said:

I renewed my 5 year in Pattaya a few weeks ago. Took more than 4 hours from the time you do the colour, reaction and perception tests, sit through a safety movie for nearly an hour, get in a queue to pay, then another queue for photo, then wait until they call your name that the licence is ready.

A quick question, Did you use res cert or yellow book at pattaya ? People have been saying they dont accept yellow book anymore.

Just now, Peterw42 said:

A quick question, Did you use res cert or yellow book at pattaya ? People have been saying they dont accept yellow book anymore.

I got a resident certificate from immigration.

I did my 5 year licence at Morchit DLT, it took me about 2 hours. I do have a yellow tabien bahn and pink ID card, but I don't think it made the process any faster other than I didn't have to go get a resident certificate.

10 minutes ago, phantomfiddler said:

Is this a fishing license you are  asking about ? It,s nice to be precise :)

No one else has a problem understanding which licence. Maybe you're just a bit slow.

Will this fairly simple process also apply to those who dont have residency yet also? Will want to get Thai drivers license  (& own vehicle) soon after we arrive Dec/Jan but will probably be coming in on US 60 day tourist visa & converting to retirement once. Staying in Bangkok maybe 2-3 weeks (don't need car there) but will then decide on long-term rental in coastal area we like best. I will have US drivers license & husband will only have from our previous residence in Belize. Any advice on rentals/later purchases probably Hua Hin area also appreciated.

28 minutes ago, woodenjake said:

Will this fairly simple process also apply to those who dont have residency yet also? Will want to get Thai drivers license  (& own vehicle) soon after we arrive Dec/Jan but will probably be coming in on US 60 day tourist visa & converting to retirement once. Staying in Bangkok maybe 2-3 weeks (don't need car there) but will then decide on long-term rental in coastal area we like best. I will have US drivers license & husband will only have from our previous residence in Belize. Any advice on rentals/later purchases probably Hua Hin area also appreciated.

You don't need residency; you do need an O visa.

1 hour ago, Jonmarleesco said:

You don't need residency; you do need an O visa.

In Pattaya you used to be able to get on a visa waiver stamp and I have not heard that it has changed? As long as you get the residence certificate and have your home country licence/IDP it should not be a big issue.

Again there never used to be a problem getting a residency cert. as long as you could show some sort of rental agreement or similar but others can chime in if this has changed.

17 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

I was also told the yellow book is not accepted any more, you have to get a residence certificate from immigration... these guys keep their colleagues' money flow flowing! To get the residence certificate, you can use your yellow book..... duh!