Girl died saving her sister in motorbike crash

rooster59

Girl died saving her sister in motorbike crash

By The Nation 

An 11-year-old girl was killed when she used herself as a shield to save her 10-month-old sister when their mother’s motorcycle crashed in Chachoengsao’s Phanom Sarakham district on Saturday morning, police said.

The mother, Suwitcha Nanoi 37, was riding her motorcycle with her five children from Ayutthaya to visit her husband in Sa Kaew’s Wang Nam Yen district when the accident occurred at 6.30am on the Prachantakham-Kabin Buri road.

Pol Major Arthit Sriprat, inspector of Prachantakham police station, said Suwitcha’s eldest daughter Penpicha, died at the scene with severe head injuries as she had hit her head on the edge of the road island.

Penpicha was carrying her 10-month-old sister, Siriwal, in a baby sling at the time of accident. She apparently used her body as a shield for her sister, who was slightly injured.

Siriwal’s twin sister Pticharat, who was being carried by her mother, was severely injured. Suwithcha and her two sons, Kunakhun and Pongsakorn, who were seated between their mother and Penpicha, were only slightly injured.

Police said the mother admitted to dozing off after riding for a long time. causing her to lose control of the motorcycle.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30325602

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-09-03

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

50 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

Penpicha, died at the scene with severe head injuries as she had hit her head on the edge of the road island.

So not only were there 6 people on the bike, but it sounds as though none of the children were wearing a helmet. While I appreciate that the mother will be grieving, she really should face criminal charges, as the tragic and avoidable death of Penchipa stems from her reckless actions. Leniency will result in similar tragedies unfolding until the safety message starts to sink in.

Wow. That's one hell of a thorough investigation to know that she used her body as a shield to protect her sister. How could anyone know this? Not important though. More innocent victims of the country's lack of law enforcement. Six on a motorbike is asking for trouble.  

Never learn- never  will, all the  village  will commiserate with the Mother "Just her  time"

Thailand, land of insanity.

My Wife had her car rear ended yesterday, the Police were there, driver said he  fell asleep, no  breath test, no driving without due care and attention just call the insurance etc etc. Policeman did some great pointing  to the damage though.

Edited by barrywhite

I can see how in some occasions a woman with 5 kids and no car would use a bike to transport the family, I cannot imagine however how she could allow herself to do this at more than crawling speed, or while being so tired that she was falling asleep.

Very tragic, but also very stupid.

They were more that 8,000 road fatalities in Thailand between

January to April this year... mind boggling toll and endless misery

to many people such as the subject of this article, what can be done?

not much, this is the a thai way of life and no number of death will

change it anytime soon....

1 hour ago, Wiggy said:

Wow. That's one hell of a thorough investigation to know that she used her body as a shield to protect her sister. How could anyone know this? Not important though. More innocent victims of the country's lack of law enforcement. Six on a motorbike is asking for trouble.  

Not so much an investigation as the useless English language press making a deplorably bad tasting song sahn story out of an otherwise inevitable but avoidable motorcycle accident. Making the daughter who died out as some sort of heroine versus the stark reality that this government, like successive governments before them, don't give a sh!t about what the plebs are doing and how they're getting by. The perpetual casual dismissal of the lamentable shortcomings of the blighted RTP and the effect it has on the lives of most people speaks volumes.

So so sad....but maybe a slight exaggeration to say she used herself as a shield to save her baby sister...

The fact that she was carrying the child in a sling suggest that her body did certainly shield the baby....intended or not intended.

RIP the deceased and many condolences to all related.

9 minutes ago, klauskunkel said:

snapped close to where I live

59ab6e5310476__DSC0177(Large).jpg.f3111d57bbd6b505225ba589df3fae55.jpg

notice how only Mom's and Dad's brains are worthy of any protection

Yes, although their helmets are next to useless. Children never have helmets, because they would be outgrown in no time, although I would have thought that the helmet could just be passed to a younger child. The 2 little girls at the front stand no chance in the event of an impact, and if the family had a crash at speed, most likely all would perish. A very common sight all over Thailand.

27 minutes ago, klauskunkel said:

snapped close to where I live

59ab6e5310476__DSC0177(Large).jpg.f3111d57bbd6b505225ba589df3fae55.jpg

notice how only Mom's and Dad's brains are worthy of any protection

Brains...what brains?....I would suggest no brains at all...for them to allow all the family on 1 motorcycle.

While I acknowledge that this practice seems to be a Thai way of life.....and the motorcycle is quite possibly there only means of transport.......it is well overdue for this practice to stop...simply to save lives.

I hope the mother is tormented by devils until her dying day. An earlier story said she had an argument with her mother in Ayutthaya, packed her kids onto the motorbike and rode all the way to Wang Nam Yen district in Sa Kaeo - starting at 11pm, and a freaking long, long way (maybe up to 200 km). Then it would seem that after seeing her husband, she turns around and tries to ride all the way back without much of an apparent break. A pox on this buffalo.

its poverty that is the  enemy here.  Thai minimum wage at 300 Bhat a day, if you are working at all,  no security  of employment , no security of any kind.  You have to make a living and you have to move around.  Buy an old clapped out motorbike as your only transport and ferry everyone around on it, because there is no alternative for you. Its poverty that killed that kid, not the mother, not the  lack of a plastic crash hat that the family cant afford anyway.  the mother probably working all hours that god sends and just wants some family time with her man.   Tragic doesn't even come close. 

It always struck me as a big risk, carrying the entire family on a motorbike here. One wonders how many of the riders were wearing helmets, and if any of them were helmets of decent quality. And when you are driving, and you are this tired, you just pull over, rather than risking your entire family.

Many of us drive motorcycles or scooters here, and it is dangerous getting on the roads with some of these other drivers. 

Getting on a scooter, or a motorcycle anywhere in Thailand, much less Phuket, Phangan, Dark Tao, or Samui without a very good helmet, is like playing Russian Roulette with three or four bullets in the chamber. It is absolutely asking for problems. The degree of recklessness here is astounding. And many foreigners come here thinking "how much trouble could I get in on a little scooter, on a tropical island"? Well, the answer is alot. The amount of foreigners who are killed on the Southern islands is staggering. Most are not reported in the media. I had a friend who worked for Samui rescue for many years, and said the numbers were about 30-60 a month, on Samui, Phangan and Koh Tao. The official number is about 3 a month. Rider beware. Use as good a helmet as you can afford, and do not use these eggshells pieces of crap. They crack at the first impact, and what lies underneath them? Your skull, which is very delicate. 

Just ask yourself- do I have enough problems already, without a broken skull, or smashed head, or face injury, or lost eye? I have two friends who have been in motorbike accidents on Samui within the last two years. One still cannot walk, or talk or function on her own, from a motorbike accident, where she hit her head on the pavement going only 20 kph. The other one has lost alot of his mental capacity after hitting his head. He insisted for years he would never wear a helmet. Now, he seems 15 years older. 

58 minutes ago, dotpoom said:

So so sad....but maybe a slight exaggeration to say she used herself as a shield to save her baby sister...

The fact that she was carrying the child in a sling suggest that her body did certainly shield the baby....intended or not intended.

RIP the deceased and many condolences to all related.

Ever wonder if anyone on earth let alone this country could proof read enough to cover every possible insignificant angle that there won't be someone comparing their own IQ to the writer's? The report is about a tragedy.

Edited by silent

3 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

Not really sure why you mentioned it then ?

Especially when you know nothing about it !

1. Wider context. 

2. I don't recall saying I knew everything about it. 

30 minutes ago, Dexlowe said:

I hope the mother is tormented by devils until her dying day. An earlier story said she had an argument with her mother in Ayutthaya, packed her kids onto the motorbike and rode all the way to Wang Nam Yen district in Sa Kaeo - starting at 11pm, and a freaking long, long way (maybe up to 200 km). Then it would seem that after seeing her husband, she turns around and tries to ride all the way back without much of an apparent break. A pox on this buffalo.

Your compassion overwhelms me.