UK PM May pushes for new sanctions on North Korea after nuclear test

webfact

UK PM May pushes for new sanctions on North Korea after nuclear test

tag-reuters-1.jpg

British Prime Minister Theresa May speaks during a joint press conference with her Japanese counterpart Shinzo Abe at the state guest house in Tokyo, Japan August 31, 2017. REUTERS/Kazuhiro Nogi/Pool

LONDON (Reuters) - British Prime Minister Theresa May on Sunday said the United Nations Security Council should urgently look at imposing new sanctions on North Korea and speed up implementation of existing ones.

Pyongyang conducted its sixth and most powerful nuclear test earlier on Sunday.

"This latest action by North Korea is reckless and poses an unacceptable further threat to the international community," May said in an emailed statement.

"I discussed the serious and grave threat these dangerous and illegal actions present with President Abe in Japan this week and reiterate the call we jointly made for tougher action, including increasing the pace of implementation of existing sanctions and looking urgently in the UN Security Council at new measures."

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-09-04

Theresa needs to focus on BREXIT...trying to distract the public from her party's failure is not going to work. More of the same BS...Iraq, etc etc.

If our leaders would spend as much time working for their own citizens that they spend on meddling and advocating wars with countries that have BTW done nothing to them, perhaps we might actually have a chance at saving our own countries.

The UK has nukes.  Shall we then sanction them?  Brits will say, "Yes we have them, but we're responsible. We would use them only as a last resort."

I like Ms May, but suggest a better avenue:  Campaign for a reduction of nukes ww, with the goal of zero nukes as soon as possible (10 years?). She can start by setting an example, and decommissioning some of her nukes.  If she wants a road map for how to set about doing that, I'll be glad to send her a detailed plan.

Edited by boomerangutang

1 minute ago, JHolmesJr said:

The north korean passport needs to be de-recognised…..keep them all on within those borders and barricade them in. let them wallow in the greatness of the motherland. 

And how will you feel/react when stories/pics come out of mass starvations?  

I know there are no easy fixes.  Even knocking out Kim with a surgical strike would not do much to end the grave problems there.  It would cause mass confusion, and when the smoke clears, a cadre of generals will be doing the same crazy stuff.  

Each general, weighed down by pounds of medals, will be holding three placards, showing the mug shots of grandpa, dad, and fat boy.  Already, grandpa is officially 'President forever.'     Note: it was Kim's grandpa who invaded S.Korea, just after WWII.  He alone started the ball rolling - which has resulted in the profound misery of the N.Koreans for the past six decades.

14 minutes ago, JHolmesJr said:

The north korean passport needs to be de-recognised…..keep them all on within those borders and barricade them in. let them wallow in the greatness of the motherland. 

Don't worry....20,000 baht and they're in at Poipet with a wink and a nod.

May's words will resound around the world for sure, but it's a non starter....China and Russia will block any more sanctions as they have already said.

Time for jaw-jaw not war-war and time fir US to climb down and take regime change off the table.

Russians and Chinese love this game. Since it gets the US busy enough. It seems this is a situation that Russians were waiting for since they had conflict  with US over Ukraine and Syria and unpleasant sanctions by The US. 

And now it is even better than ever for Russians since Trump is president ?. No worries. Trump has no clue about rules of games and will make that wrong move soon or later which Russians are waiting for.

15 hours ago, boomerangutang said:

The UK has nukes.  Shall we then sanction them?  Brits will say, "Yes we have them, but we're responsible. We would use them only as a last resort."

I like Ms May, but suggest a better avenue:  Campaign for a reduction of nukes ww, with the goal of zero nukes as soon as possible (10 years?). She can start by setting an example, and decommissioning some of her nukes.  If she wants a road map for how to set about doing that, I'll be glad to send her a detailed plan.

We already have the bare minimum.

In the current climate I would hold steady.

If Germany spends 80 Billion a year on armaments and Japan goes nuclear. We would be powerless with conventional ground forces.

Maybe we should invest in tactical nuclear weapons....

2 minutes ago, Grouse said:

If Germany spends 80 Billion a year on armaments and Japan goes nuclear. We would be powerless with conventional ground forces.

What use are they without America? What a waste of money...

https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200506/cmselect/cmdfence/986/986we13.htm

20 minutes ago, baboon said:

What use are they without America? What a waste of money...

https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200506/cmselect/cmdfence/986/986we13.htm

I don't know, ask N Korea!

Actually, I think our nuclear deterrent works as a real deterrent. Any reduction would not work.

With the huge cuts in U.K. Defence expenditure, we may need tactical nuclear weapons to handle other threats.

https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/no-america-doesnt-control-britains-nuclear-weapons/

This is more recent information.

Edited by Grouse

33 minutes ago, Grouse said:

Who is we?

The submarines from China should be enough don't you think?

30 minutes ago, Grouse said:

Actually, I think our nuclear deterrent works as a real deterrent. Any reduction would not work.

With the huge cuts in U.K. Defence expenditure, we may need tactical nuclear weapons to handle other threats.

https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/no-america-doesnt-control-britains-nuclear-weapons/

Useful information here

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_weapons_and_the_United_Kingdom

4 hours ago, Grouse said:

Hardly a deterrent against an isolationist state who have never attacked a foreign country, quite unlike ourselves. 

Try and put yourself in the position of the Pyongyang leadership who have seen Iraq, Afghanistan and Libya. Wouldn't you want to ensure the same didn't happen to you?

Theresa, do please keep quite about North Korea.

If the Koreans want to nuke the Japs, well, that's up to them. What we want to see, is you negotiating a good deal about us and our so-called exit fron the EU.

What about the Japs ? They've got a load of companies in Britian, and they're threatening to pull out of Britain because of the 'uncertainty' regarding Brexit. So, calm them down, tell them to not leave Britain. That's the important thing.

You've got your hands full, negotiating a good deal with Brexit, stop wasting your time and effort by pretending that Britain can stll influence what's going on in North Korea.