Driving license / yellow house book

chowny77

My wife mentioned it yesterday to me that if I want to get a driving license I now need to have a yellow house book, otherwise they will not let me apply. I already had a license but as often happens I forgot about re-newing it and it has expired. I was hoping after already passing the tests I could just show them the old license and get a new one issued. If anyone knows differently please comment.

How did you get your first licence to renew is no problem you can re-new your expired Thai DL up to 1 year and many DLT offices don't except yellow books as proof of address and that's basically what it's for,  our DLT does.

The DLT's that don't except them is something l cannot understand.

Some DLTs even seem to ignore the yellow house book.

Mine fortunately was happy with it in 2015 and this year.

I read reports that Chonburi e.g. declines/ignores it.

Always another ride to immigration required.

In the published rules of DLT a yellow (house)book does not exist at all.

So it would be a very special "rule" by your DLT to require one.

(I learn to never say impossible with Thai bureaucracy :biggrin:)

This has been covered so many times that a little search would have supplied all the answers.

Depending on how long your old licence has expired, you should be able to just get a Letter of Residence from Immigration, take to Transport and just do the colour, reaction and perception tests, then sit through a 45 minute video. That's it.

I'm in the same situation and was considering finally getting the yellow book and so went to the Amphur to see what it would entail. The elder woman who works there, the one that is always a pain in the ass when getting a letter of residence which has to be done at the Amphur not immigration anymore at least where I live, told me I have to bring my wife, and when I explained to her once again that I don't have a wife she told me I can't get a yellow book. Now I know that is not true but as long as she says that trying to get one will just be pissing in the wind. So another letter of residence just to re-new a drivers license in which I had to get a letter of residence for in the first place. 

7 minutes ago, dictater said:

I'm in the same situation and was considering finally getting the yellow book and so went to the Amphur to see what it would entail. The elder woman who works there, the one that is always a pain in the ass when getting a letter of residence which has to be done at the Amphur not immigration anymore at least where I live, told me I have to bring my wife, and when I explained to her once again that I don't have a wife she told me I can't get a yellow book. Now I know that is not true but as long as she says that trying to get one will just be pissing in the wind. So another letter of residence just to re-new a drivers license in which I had to get a letter of residence for in the first place. 

Well there maybe something in that l couldn't get one without my wife and 2 witnesses from the village where we live.

8 minutes ago, dictater said:

Every time you renew your licence a letter of residence will be required. Understandable, people can change address in 5 years. I also went to my local Amphur to get the yellow book, but in the end I found it was just too much of a hassle for the benefits gained.

I got an original license. Then I lost it and getting a replacement was just like getting the original license. All the same requirements except there was an additional requirement to report the lost license to the police. Then later I got the permanent license. All three times I just used a proof of address from the American embassy where they just have you swear that is your correct address. And no problems at all, though the proof of addresses from the embassy are kind of expensive. No one asked about yellow books and at the time I wouldn't have even known what a yellow book was. 

6 hours ago, chowny77 said:

My wife mentioned it yesterday to me that if I want to get a driving license I now need to have a yellow house book, otherwise they will not let me apply.

Your wife is flat out wrong.  There never was,  nor will there ever be,  a requirement for a foreigner to have a Yellow book to obtain a drivers license 

Renewed my five year licence in April in Chonburi, they refused my old licence, yellow house book and pink I'd card as proof of residence and insisted on a COR from immigration, at immigration the lady saw my folder with all the above documents and told me they would accept any of them as proof of address! 

3 hours ago, dictater said:

3 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Well there maybe something in that l couldn't get one without my wife and 2 witnesses from the village where we live.

Don't you just love it when people post about the peccadilloes of their local amphur and/or immigration and then don't mention which one it is?

46 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Renewed my five year licence in April in Chonburi, they refused my old licence, yellow house book and pink I'd card as proof of residence and insisted on a COR from immigration, at immigration the lady saw my folder with all the above documents and told me they would accept any of them as proof of address! 

This is how you do it!

9 hours ago, dotpoom said:

I (and I would imagine the majority of licence holders) never had a yellow book.

You simply get your certificate of residency and off you go.

I think.also a medical cert.

Correct, certificate of residence & medical cert in Pattaya.

Your farang license or IDP if you have one.

Whats a yellow book? 

Edited by LammyTS1

When I got my driving licens in Mukdahan, I was told ( rightly so) that I needed a Letter of Residence from Immigration. ( Got that, and no problem).

I was also adviset to get a yellow house book soon, as it would make it easy in the future. ( Got that and pink ID now)

KHON KAEN accepts yellow book as proof.

And if your lucky as i was no video.

Be carefull here though check the paper work they give you to go pay. Mine had Tempory licence stamped on it, went back to query as i was on a 60 day extension stamp from immigration, even though my Non o multi entry was still valid, they argued that it was not the right visa for a full licence. I pointed out my Non O in psssport then all was fine. So do check. (They have no real ides on stamps in passport only looking at relevent stamp for the day you apply).

Edited by jeab1980

I too am confused with this license matter.  I have a  5 year car license and recently moved provinces.  I changed my address with immigration and then proceeded to the local DLT office, however, was told I need not change my address until my license is due for renewal, which is not until 2019.  I am able to speak Thai so they were aware of what I wanted and why but to no avail.

Has anyone heard of this before because the information on my license is now incorrect.  I also wanted to change the details on my vehicle's blue book but was told as my vehicle had been initially registered in BKK, this is where I had to attend to change details.  Given that they're computerised,  I was wondering why they cannot change the details, given that one must do this with immigration, and if I do not change those details, within a specified period, is there any fine applicable?  Hoping someone can throw some light on these aspects.  Thanks  in advance.:wai:

5 minutes ago, Si Thea01 said:

I too am confused with this license matter.  I have a  5 year car license and recently moved provinces.  I changed my address with immigration and then proceeded to the local DLT office, however, was told I need not change my address until my license is due for renewal, which is not until 2019.  I am able to speak Thai so they were aware of what I wanted and why but to no avail.

Has anyone heard of this before because the information on my license is now incorrect.  I also wanted to change the details on my vehicle's blue book but was told as my vehicle had been initially registered in BKK, this is where I had to attend to change details.  Given that they're computerised,  I was wondering why they cannot change the details, given that one must do this with immigration, and if I do not change those details, within a specified period, is there any fine applicable?  Hoping someone can throw some light on these aspects.  Thanks  in advance.:wai:

Yes its correct some will some wont. When i moved some years ago to here KK wouldnt change my address on licence till renewal 4.9 years later. As for your vehicle i would leave it with BKK pĺates on. You can tax it at any DLT office no problem. If you sell the car in your new province then depending on buyer you may have to change plates.

No fines for car or licence.

Edited by jeab1980

Just now, jeab1980 said:

Yes its correct some will some wont. When i moved some years ago to here KK wouldnt change my address on licence till renewal 4.9 years later. As for your vehicle i would leave it with BKK pĺates on. You can tax it at any DLT office no problem. 

Thanks for that.  With the vehicle, I have always had it registered in BKK, for the 4 past years, but the dealer from who it was purchased, Loei Province, re-registered it each year for me.  I am aware that the fee can be paid at any office but thought that my current residential address was required,  Never asked that question. :wai: 

15 hours ago, giddyup said:

This has been covered so many times that a little search would have supplied all the answers.

Depending on how long your old licence has expired, you should be able to just get a Letter of Residence from Immigration, take to Transport and just do the colour, reaction and perception tests, then sit through a 45 minute video. That's it.

This quote is pretty much what should happen. For me, a letter of residency and copy of my international licence. Done.

4 minutes ago, Si Thea01 said:

Thanks for that.  With the vehicle, I have always had it registered in BKK, for the 4 past years, but the dealer from who it was purchased, Loei Province, re-registered it each year for me.  I am aware that the fee can be paid at any office but thought that my current residential address was required,  Never asked that question. :wai: 

No a car can be registered to any province its not  nessasary for the owner to live in that province.most Thai people dont live at the address in the blue car book. Not sure what you mean by re registering every year? You tax it and buy compulsory every year

Edited by jeab1980

Just now, jeab1980 said:

No a car can be registered to any province its not  nessasary for the owner to live in that province. Not sure what you mean by re registering every year? You tax it and buy compulsory every year

Again thanks.  Yes, I meant paying the road tax, buying the compulsory insurance, that's what us Aussies refer to as re-registering.  Thanks again for the help.:wai: