Farang in very bad shape at Thapae Gate

elektrified

Saw a guy yesterday at Taphae Gate in very bad shape. He was older- 70ish? in a wheel chair which was also run down and in bad shape. He had metal spikes going into one leg held together with a steel frame. You could see from a distance that his leg was red and completely infected, looked mildly gangrenous, and he had sores all over him. He was dirty and filthy, his clothing torn, and the bottom of the wheel chair was broken or possibly missing the footrests, so he was dragging his bare foot (of the bad leg) on the ground. He looked dazed and confused - possibly feverish from an infection, and was out in the traffic! not really going anywhere but just wheeling himself around in a circle.

I had to get to an appointment but went back 45 minutes later to see if I could offer any help but didn't see him at that point. This guy is in very bad condition.

Something more concrete is called for here than hoping it all goes well for him. I myself am in Chonburi but there are some great people out there who can ( and know how to) take the bull by the horns and get some action going rather than just wishing him well....

One time I joined a group of people who would never, ever say "No" to a call for help from a fellow sufferer in need of help (alcoholism). When one was asked one time "Why he would never say No" (or accept money).....his answer was...."if nobody came when it was me who needed the help, I would not be around today to help this person".

The same principle covers all calls for assistance.

If there is something I can do please PM me, I am not a man that has a lot of money but can certainly contribute to the cost of a wheelchair, accomodation, hospital treatment. etc.,

2 hours ago, mstevens said:

Good on you for going back to try and help him.  From your description, this guy's situation sounds precarious and I really hope he gets the help that it sounds like he desperately needs.

Yes indeed, there but for the grace of God go I

Edited by soalbundy

1 hour ago, Lucky mike said:

Gives me some faith in the human spirit, true Buddhist intentions!

On doesn't have to be a Buddhist or a Christian to show compassion, just realize the non duality of existence, it is one, as a Christian (which I am not) one should know that Jesus said, 'split a piece of wood and I am there, lift a stone and I am there, we and everything are just manifestations of consciousness.

People around the area must know where he lives etc. Some questioning would help, and also the police.He sounds as if he needs urgent medical help. If you could find out his nationality you could contact his Embassy and at least report it, and somehow get him to a hospital, or call the emergency services to come and pick him up. Are there any charities locally you can call ? Thanks for helping.Hes someone's father, or brother and needs all the help he can get to stop the suffering.

8 hours ago, elektrified said:

He had metal spikes going into one leg held together with a steel frame

are you saying he had an orthopedic fixation device? or the hardware looked like something that impaled him??

common for the elderly to get dehydrated and get altered mental status. without the guys body temp and wbc count cant know if he is septic.

4 hours ago, dotpoom said:

Something more concrete is called for here than hoping it all goes well for him. I myself am in Chonburi but there are some great people out there who can ( and know how to) take the bull by the horns and get some action going rather than just wishing him well....

One time I joined a group of people who would never, ever say "No" to a call for help from a fellow sufferer in need of help (alcoholism). When one was asked one time "Why he would never say No" (or accept money).....his answer was...."if nobody came when it was me who needed the help, I would not be around today to help this person".

The same principle covers all calls for assistance.

If there is something I can do please PM me, I am not a man that has a lot of money but can certainly contribute to the cost of a wheelchair, accomodation, hospital treatment. etc.,

My friend, you are a saint, if everyone was like you this world would be a much better place. God bless ya. 

2 hours ago, Jimmyjames120 said:

Well at least you got your priorities straight 

He believes in Jesus, he doesn't want his job. You don't know how important his appointment was. 'Sorry I kept you an hour waiting for this job interview but I felt that helping a farang in need was more important than this job''. Would go down well with any employer.

There certainly is a story before the story.

Most likely: Farang having depleted his financial "buffer", without health insurance. Without Farang/Thai "safety-net".
Under such circumstances, Thailand is a very bad place to get "stuck".

The worst of it all: Sometime in the past, it all started with wanting to live the "dream in Thailand." Nobody is moving to Thailand wanting to end up like this. But then, the plans of men and mice.....
Cheers.