Nissan electric cars to hit Thai market next year

webfact

On 11/09/2017 at 1:31 PM, mogandave said:

Being "off the grid" includes going back and forth to town?

I thought it was meant to infer self sufficiency, no?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Yes it does and one part of that self sufficiency is energy.

Imagine being able to generate your own power supply for use in your own home and in your own vehicle.

I'd like to be able to do that generating and storing hydrogen from renewables.

Yes it does and one part of that self sufficiency is energy.
Imagine being able to generate your own power supply for use in your own home and in your own vehicle.
I'd like to be able to do that generating and storing hydrogen from renewables.

You don't generate your own power supply on a bicycle? What kind of bike is it?

Thailand has enough problems supplying electricity to the population without electric cars.

This would work here, however, if the roof and bonnet were made of solar cells. Park up and it recharges itself. Its even recharging itself as you drive.

Edited by naboo

30 minutes ago, balo said:

Electric bicycle is much cheaper . I own one , who needs a car . 

How do you get all your shopping home ? (online shopping - delivered by Van)

How do you transport your family ? (don't have a family or use a Taxi)

How do you travel when its raining ? (don't travel in the rain or use a Taxi)

How do you get to nearby towns for a break / holiday ? (don't go or hire a Car)

How do you get anywhere without sweating ? (don't sweat ?)

I'm not convinced by my own answers... I most definitely need a car, the only thing that will stop me from having a car is price, then I will have no choice but to make do without the convenience. 

I guess that answers your question "who needs a car?"... in truth, no one needs a car, but its a huge inconvenience not to have one and we can't do without using someone else's car  (or van) be it for deliveries, Taxi's etc

Then there is the safety aspect... I'm not so sure an electric bicycle can keep up with traffic speeds... someone is always behind you trying to squeeze past - this places you at huge risk and is the single reason I don't bike more places in Bangkok (well, that and sweating). 

Now, an Electric bike which can travel at Motorbike speeds in the city (i.e .80 kmh), but wouldn't that be a little frightening or unstable on the narrower tires ?... perhaps and electric motorcycle... then there is the weather issue.... OK, we're back to Electric cars...   Nissan are making a smart move.

Now, where will all that electricity come from? Currently 70% of the Worlds Oil is consumed by travel. 

Aircraft, Shipping... we can't fix that yet, but personal transport can be fixed if we can provide sufficient power... The only thing I can see in the near future which can provide such level of energy to support the huge draw on the national grid demanded by these vehicles is nuclear power... I'm not so sure Solar, Wind and other renewables can meet such demand for many years to come.

2 hours ago, mogandave said:

Yes, we want to be "off the grid" but with a car, air-con and internet access.

Indeed

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Yes, wouldn't it be lovely not having to rely on state supply of your energy needs.

The internet is a little different and I'm not clever enough to design my own world wide web so for now will make do with what TOT call broadband.

6 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I'm not convinced by my own answers... I most definitely need a car, the only thing that will stop me from having a car is price, then I will have no choice but to make do without the convenience. 

I guess that answers your question "who needs a car?"... in truth, no one needs a car, but its a huge inconvenience not to have one and we can't do without using someone else's car  (or van) be it for deliveries, Taxi's etc

Then there is the safety aspect... I'm not so sure an electric bicycle can keep up with traffic speeds... someone is always behind you trying to squeeze past - this places you at huge risk and is the single reason I don't bike more places in Bangkok (well, that and sweating). 

Now, an Electric bike which can travel at Motorbike speeds in the city (i.e .80 kmh), but wouldn't that be a little frightening or unstable on the narrower tires ?... perhaps and electric motorcycle... then there is the weather issue.... OK, we're back to Electric cars...   Nissan are making a smart move.

Now, where will all that electricity come from? Currently 70% of the Worlds Oil is consumed by travel. 

Aircraft, Shipping... we can't fix that yet, but personal transport can be fixed if we can provide sufficient power... The only thing I can see in the near future which can provide such level of energy to support the huge draw on the national grid demanded by these vehicles is nuclear power... I'm not so sure Solar, Wind and other renewables can meet such demand for many years to come.

Good post.On an individual/household basis renewables can meet needs although storage is costly.

I'm not a fan of battery power due to storage limitations but that has seen large improvements over the years.

My great hope is for hydrogen, produced by renewable energy, that can be stored at home, used to power that home and also personal transport.

A British company, ITM, presently installs large on-site commercial hydrogen generators and have plans to downsize the equipment for household use.

One day it will happen and for the benefit of all I hope sooner rather than later.

1 hour ago, edwinchester said:

My great hope is for hydrogen, produced by renewable energy, that can be stored at home, used to power that home and also personal transport.

One can do that now with LPG/propane but only a very small number of people have propane tanks in their back garden and no one fuels there cars at home?

FIAT makes a stationary engine which can produce electricity and the waste heat heats the house but they are also extremely rare. 

Hydrogen doesn't like being stored as a liquid at -450 degrees. and will eventually boil off. 

As a group (humans) we are all migrating towards city life and yes air pollution is a problem. In the 1950's in London it was burning coal for heating.  Now it is emission from personal transportation (China). So while low range electric vehicle might serve for the second car for school runs and shopping etc. they are not a complete answer. Especially for people living in the country. Anyone with a wholly electric car will need to learn the term "range anxiety" this takes over from the blissful feeling of cost saving and do-good felling.

But challenge 
it to go beyond 100 miles and you’d forget all the advantages (including silence, a decent boot and practical rear accommodation) as the sweat of range anxiety pops out on your brow. You don’t even count the meagre fuelling cost – somewhere between a fifth and a tenth of what you’d pay for petrol – as an advantage when you just don’t have enough of the stuff. 

Edited by VocalNeal

2 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

One can do that now with LPG/propane but only a very small number of people have propane tanks in their back garden and no one fuels there cars at home?

FIAT makes a stationary engine which can produce electricity and the waste heat heats the house but they are also extremely rare. 

Hydrogen doesn't like being stored as a liquid at -450 degrees. and will eventually boil off. 

As a group (humans) we are all migrating towards city life and yes air pollution is a problem. In the 1950's in London it was burning coal for heating.  Now it is emission from personal transportation (China). So while low range electric vehicle might serve for the second car for school runs and shopping etc. they are not a complete answer. Especially for people living in the country. Anyone with a wholly electric car will need to learn the term "range anxiety" this takes over from the blissful feeling of cost saving and do-good felling.

Sure you can power your home and fuel your vehicles from propane stored at home but you still have to buy that propane.

Imagine the independence generating your own hydrogen from renewables would give you and it doesn't need to be stored as a liquid. The company I mentioned above has a hydrogen generating stack that can pressurise to 350 bar with a 700 bar version in the pipeline.

Right now the market is for larger commercial supplies, they're collaborating with Shell I believe and will soon have self generating hydrogen sources at garage/filling stations.

1 hour ago, edwinchester said:

Imagine

This is the key word here.  Currently it cost around $0.38/mile to run a BMW hydrogen 7 on hydrogen vs 2 baht /km for LPG.

I couldn't find out the cost of a 225kW wind turbine but I'm guessing they are not cheap. 50kWh for each kg of H2 at a 66% efficiency. 

I'd rather imagine a beer after work!

6 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

This is the key word here.  Currently it cost around $0.38/mile to run a BMW hydrogen 7 on hydrogen vs 2 baht /km for LPG.

I couldn't find out the cost of a 225kW wind turbine but I'm guessing they are not cheap. 50kWh for each kg of H2 at a 66% efficiency. 

I'd rather imagine a beer after work!

Agree entirely about cost but as with all new technology price plummets with mass take up.......hopefully.

As for the beer mine is an ice cold Leo with my lunch right now :)

19 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

When I lived in Bangkok I owned a car , so I am used to driving cars. But no need for it here in Pattaya. Short distances to most places.  

When I need to travel further or with friends I use UBER or GRAB.   

I can handle the slow city traffic , but I would not dare to use a bike on the main roads here or in Bangkok. 

If they can start producing small electric cars that is cheap enough for the locals I can see a big future for it. In India they have already a plan to invest in a electric car factory so Indians can buy electric cars with a suggested price under $10000.