Thailand becomes first country in Asia to join global effort to clean up the world's oceans

webfact

2 hours ago, DM07 said:

More lipservice, while 7 still puts my Cornetto in a plastic bag, gives me 4 straws for a can of Coke, 2 beers and a bottle of mouthwash and  i get 4 plastic spoons (wrapped in plastic) for EVERY 4- pack of Yoghurt (wrapped in plastic, of course!)...

:coffee1:

7 just takes the absolute piss, I really am surprised they haven't stopped that madness. they'd save themselves money at the end of the day. it's still weird going back home and forgetting that you have to pay for bags and you see pretty much everyone pulling out old plastic bags from their pockets to use at shops or 'forever' bags at the supermarkets. i'm sure it'll filter through here eventually

2 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

"There is so much garbage here I'm lost as to whether littering is actually legal or illegal. "

What part of the "dump" are you living in? Bangkok, Pattaya...?

Upcountry here the countryside is  clear of unsightly garbage and the main town is very clean.

Not where I live it ain't.

4 hours ago, Happy enough said:

7 just takes the absolute piss, I really am surprised they haven't stopped that madness. they'd save themselves money at the end of the day. it's still weird going back home and forgetting that you have to pay for bags and you see pretty much everyone pulling out old plastic bags from their pockets to use at shops or 'forever' bags at the supermarkets. i'm sure it'll filter through here 

Maybe they could even lower the prices if they no longer have to pay for all this plastic. It would be a win-win for the customers and the environment. 

Edited by hanuman2543

7 hours ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

Not even close.

China, Indonesia, the Philippines, Thailand and Vietnam account for 60% of the World's ocean pollution.

https://www.ecowatch.com/these-5-countries-account-for-60-of-plastic-pollution-in-oceans-1882107531.html

I am surprised no African country is on that list. Nigeria is far from a clean country.

2 hours ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

Another first for Thailand is the plastic garbage island floating in the Gulf of Thailand. It is at least 8km wide and is the first such artificial garbage island in the World.

They recently found another one floating off Prachuap Khiri Khan so they now have at least two with more on the way no doubt. 

They must be so proud. 

Not quite, the 2 huge pacific "trash islands are bigger and older than the Thai

I think thai beaches have been totally destroyed and there is no hope for them they are just open sewers and rubbish dumps.  Expats and tourists do their best to clean them up but the Thais just undo it again.

Edited by Thechook

15 hours ago, eliotness said:

Not where I live it ain't.

don't look now but you are not in thailand! open garbage collections on the side of the road, soi dogs tipping them over spreading garbage all over the road, thais just driving over it and squashing it into the road,  miniature garbage pits that really stink along side the road and the poor Thai garbage collectors have to deal with thi every day. I could post photos of this but thai visa would not show them! and i am talking about the town of Ubon.

So the fishermen collected 0.7 tons of plastic. Well, they only need to collect another 999,999.3 tons in the rest of the year to stop it getting worse ....

Up here in Isaan i have seen a dramatic improvement in the level of litter both in the city and in the villages close by over the last 7 years. Yes a long way still to go, particularly out of the villages along the roads a lot of fly tipping still happens. I believe Victorian London was an eyesore until public rubbish collection started. Give it another 100 years in Thailand.

I agree that limitations on plastic bags should happen NOW.