Civil Servants holiday and immigration.

emilymat

I caught a news item on 103 fm about civil servants being granted  substantial time off in the run up to the cremation of the late king.

Now, I know that cremation will be a huge event and is due to take place later this year but I wonder how public services may be affected in October, particularly Jomtien immigration, if this radio report was accurate.

Does anyone have the inside track on this. I have to renew my retirement visa in October.

Thank you 

The only official holidays for the cremation is on October 26th.

These are the official holidays in October.

13 October (Friday) King Bhumibol Adulyadej’s Passing 
23 October (Monday) Chulalongkorn Day
26 October (Thursday) King Bhumibol Adulyadej’s Cremation

From various reports you can renew the retirement extension at Jomtien up to 45 days before the expiry date. Last year my renewal was made at that office 39 days prior to the expiry date with no comment.

Making full use of this window should avoid any potential staffing issues if you have any concerns.

Just to make clear, I am aware of the 'window' for renewal. It's just that I'm off to the UK this Saturday for three weeks. This is my 11th renewal.

I'll clearly  be abe to do an early renewal at the end of September, but the reason I raised this is that the radio report was quite adamant that there would be a lengthy 'holiday' for civil servants in the run up to cremation so they could morn. The report said all sort of areas would be affected where government employees were working.

Maybe it's fake news or something.

On 9/7/2017 at 10:28 PM, emilymat said:

Just to make clear, I am aware of the 'window' for renewal. It's just that I'm off to the UK this Saturday for three weeks. This is my 11th renewal.

I'll clearly  be abe to do an early renewal at the end of September, but the reason I raised this is that the radio report was quite adamant that there would be a lengthy 'holiday' for civil servants in the run up to cremation so they could morn. The report said all sort of areas would be affected where government employees were working.

Maybe it's fake news or something.

But didn't say the offices would be closed. It's just the famous Thai procrastination where some staff will be taking random, extra days off over the next month and the end of the formal pre-cremation mourning to go to Bangkok and do their bit. I mean they've only had (almost) a year to do it.

It's like that mountain-top with (yet another) footprint of Buddha over in Chantaburi that is open for a couple of months for pilgrimage but everyone procrastinates until the last weekend in March just before it closes when the place is absolutely mobbed by tens of thousands.