University wants special press treatment in discipline case

snoop1130

University wants special press treatment in discipline case

By The Nation 

e45251bed509d024f696f97c2c30e408.jpeg

File Photo: Netiwit and colleagues walk out of the ceremony and were stopped by two lecturers.

Chulalongkorn University (CU) on Wednesday issued another statement calling for international media to be fair in the coverage of the incident regarding the dismissal of student activists from the student council over their activism against the school’s oath-taking ceremony.

The handling of the situation was purely an internal affair, the statement read. It should not be linked with divisive politics and suppression of dissent, which seem to be the dominant discourse or news frame presented in western and local English-language media, CU said.

However, the university insisted that every community and society has the right to reserve a certain space or activity as an exception from the free speech rule, including a space of holiness, sensitivity or pain.

“The ‘oath of allegiance’ ceremony, although conceived 20 years ago, some years after the installation of the statues in 1987, has been widely regarded as a holy ritual in the university’s community which extends from students to staff and alumni,” the statement read.

CU also said it had a long history and a royal lineage that are imbued in its tradition and beliefs that may be uncommon to Western liberal values. Although it supported liberalism and freedom of expression, it also had its cultural roots and harmony to balance, it said.

CU said it would appreciate understanding and sensitivity to its standing in media coverage.

The university has met with heavy criticism after dismissing Netiwit Chotiphatphaisal and other four students from student council following an incident during the oath-taking ceremony. Netiwit was the head of the council.

Netiwit and his colleagues said that they walked out of the “ceremony” as it rained.

Other students continued the ritual.

However, the university countered in the statement that students were sufficiently notified that a space had been designated for students with special physical conditions, religious beliefs, or political attitudes and ideologies that would interfere with their kneeling and paying obeisance. The statement said the students chose to disrupt the process by strolling out of the line reserved for their rank as university council members and performed their “symbolic act” — bowing — to contrast with hundreds of other students who were paying obeisance in unison.

A lecturer grabbed one of his colleagues by his neck, angered by the act that he deemed disrespectful.

CU also said in the statement an investigation and disciplinary procedure were underway for the lecturer.

This lecturer resigned from his position as assistant to the president for student affairs on August 7, a few days after the incident, according to the statement.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30326095

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-9-7

25 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

A lecturer grabbed one of his colleagues by his neck

college statement didnt seem to mention this;

i thought the law was 'the law of the land'; i guess not there in that college;

will they discipline a guy who resigned ? worthless rhetoric;

the photo says it all, a crime was committed; and no where to be found or mentioned are the police

38 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

However, the university insisted that every community and society has the right to reserve a certain space or activity as an exception from the free speech rule, including a space of holiness, sensitivity or pain.

Not buying that. You either have free speech or you don't. You cant just pick and choose the convenient moments for it, and then deny its existence when things get sticky.

I would have a lot more respect for them if they had the grace to admit they handled things less than brilliantly and that they would LEARN from the incident. As a University it would seem an appropriate place to actually do so.

Edited by darksidedog

1 hour ago, snoop1130 said:

The handling of the situation was purely an internal affair

Ah, I see. So what else can you get away with under the guise of "It's purely an internal affair"?

When big figures ask local media to be 'fair' in their coverage, they really mean 'don't report the truth'. Foreign media are a different story. Bring on the international coverage and shaming. 

King Chulalongkorn believed according  the Royal Siamese Government Gazette  in 1873 that:

'The practice of prostration in Siam is severely oppressive. The subordinates have been forced to prostrate in order to elevate the dignity of the phu yai. I do not see how the practice of prostration will render any benefit to Siam. The subordinates find the performance of prostration a harsh physical practice. They have to go down on their knees for a long time until their business with the phu yai ends. They will then be allowed to stand up and retreat. This kind of practice is the source of oppression. Therefore, I want to abolish it.'

Any brave lawyers out there to test if the University is risking lese majeste?

7 minutes ago, greeneking said:

King Chulalongkorn believed according  the Royal Siamese Government Gazette  in 1873 that:

'The practice of prostration in Siam is severely oppressive. The subordinates have been forced to prostrate in order to elevate the dignity of the phu yai. I do not see how the practice of prostration will render any benefit to Siam. The subordinates find the performance of prostration a harsh physical practice. They have to go down on their knees for a long time until their business with the phu yai ends. They will then be allowed to stand up and retreat. This kind of practice is the source of oppression. Therefore, I want to abolish it.'

Any brave lawyers out there to test if the University is risking lese majeste?

Ideas and laws are just made up as they go along. There are no legal loopholes or clever debating. Big man tell, little man do. 

12 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

CU said it would appreciate understanding and sensitivity to its standing in media coverage.

When you violently mistreat your students then marginalize their opportunities, you are not going to get sympathy because demand it.  Only inbred elitists would think such a thing.  

e45251bed509d024f696f97c2c30e408.jpeg

12 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

the university insisted that every community and society has the right to reserve a certain space or activity as an exception from the free speech rule, including a space of holiness, sensitivity or pain.

It's not a right, it's more like a tradition; but aside from that, the picture doesn't convey much holiness or sensitivity..., pain on the other hand I can see.

12 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Not buying that. You either have free speech or you don't. You cant just pick and choose the convenient moments for it, and then deny its existence when things get sticky.

I would have a lot more respect for them if they had the grace to admit they handled things less than brilliantly and that they would LEARN from the incident. As a University it would seem an appropriate place to actually do so.

What and lose that precious face

1 hour ago, yellowboat said:

When you violently mistreat your students then marginalize their opportunities, you are not going to get sympathy because demand it.  Only inbred elitists would think such a thing.  

and since that is exactly who we are dealing with, .... 

CU deserves all the flak that they get ...

7 minutes ago, Canceraid said:

All international companies  and organisations should stop recognizing the degrees and credentials of CU and also stop recruiting any student from that that Uni. Boycott companies  and services that employ CU graduates. Simple.

But then you would be penalising a lot of decent students. It isn't their fault that 'upstairs' are goons...

this is just Chula being Chula... controversial for no good reason. too outstanding to think that karma also applies to them. i still remember their hospital and medical staff's refusal to treat any of the injured red shirt protesters. buddhists should know best that karma is a b*.

13 hours ago, YetAnother said:

college statement didnt seem to mention this;

i thought the law was 'the law of the land'; i guess not there in that college;

will they discipline a guy who resigned ? worthless rhetoric;

the photo says it all, a crime was committed; and no where to be found or mentioned are the police

I wont even stand at the movie's. LOL

The snowflakes strike again. Only this time it's not college students, Muslims,  LBGTQ and other thin-skinned minority groups who are lobbying for special treatment to spare their delicate feelings, but the hierarchy of one of Thailand's most prestigious seats of learning.

I have no sympathy for their cause, but a great deal for the student protesters who have suffered their wrath.]

For years we have been afflicted by a global plague of political correctness which puts a premium on not causing offence at any cost. It was bound to fail eventually.

In the end, stifling public debate simply fuels public frustration and resentment to the point where it boils over to create cataclysmic and unforeseen (by the Establishment) events

Has the corporate/political oligarchy which runs our lives - not to mention their mass media collaborators - learned nothing from the unexpected Brexit referendum outcome and the equally gobsmacking seizure of the US Presidency by a rank outsider?

"They" were shocked and surprised by both results. So were we - and delighted. For once, "we" -  the overlooked, seemingly ignorant and apparently powerless masses - had won.

But the fight to have some say in our destiny is far from over - and we desperately need the brightest and best of the rising generation to also start kicking against the pricks. With luck, between us, we must just be able to wreck the globalist juggernaut before it is too late.

My message to the snowflakes? Man up - or melt.

Edited by Krataiboy

4 hours ago, Orac said:

Has anyone in authority in Thailand ever heard the phrase 'when you are in a hole, stop digging'.

They never will though. The thought of loosing face trumps everything else.

They don't want to just all blow over, they have to try and get everyone to praise them and admit they're right and all is well.

Absurd. And from a leading university, worrying!

Edited by Baerboxer