work permit denied, 55 years!

his docs was complete.. teaching license, non b, school's docs and etc..he had started to work for 2 months because of his non b.. .the labor officer said that he could be arrested if he continue to work without wp and insisted that foriegners can't get wp above 55..

The Bangkok 'OFFICE OF FOREIGN WORKERS ADMINISTRATION' does not list a maximum age limit http://wp.doe.go.th/wp/index.php/en/home-en

But, looking into this more closely considering that there is normally no smoke without fire... 

Check out the following extract:- Ref: https://www.internationalschoolsreview.com/nonmembers/age-article.htm - some schools definitely have their own internal rules preventing the employment of older teachers.   :jap:

Thailand NISF
Need not apply after 55
  Thai Chinese School, Bangkok
No interviews after 60. Max. 55 yrs unless already there is the reality
  Ruamrudee Int’l School
60 / 62
Can stay longer, but lose benefits & up to 75% pay
  St Francis Xavier School
(12/5/2014) I am 63, working with teachers my age & older. School uses agencies & hires direct. I’ve done lots of private work, worked with government agency (Navy Nurses college) & with language schools. You get the job they get the visa. Age not a problem for me.
  Bunyawat Witthayalai, Lampang

(5/7/2016) I lost my job when I turned 61. I was told it is a rule in all government schools y that no teacher can be employed past the age of 60.

Age discrimination by the MoL?  Hadn't hear of that before.   And I worked here up until 60 with a WP and quit for reasons that had zero to do with my age.

Age discrimination by companies?  Seems to be perfectly legal for employers to discriminate based on age as they tend to force their own workers out of the work force at age 60.

Edited by connda
  • Like 1

If the labour office wants to deny a work permit, they have to state the reasons in writing. You than have 30 days to appeal. to the minister. In the provinces that might be the governor. And after that one can go to court.

Age of retirement for civil servant is 60, companies can have different policies. At schools in my area  it is also not unheard of that they rehire retired civil servant teachers, but then as a contract teacher with of course less pay, sometimes only for some hours a week.

• Like 1

At a school near us they have a native born English teacher  working there and he's been there for some 10 years to my knowledge and has always held and he is currently in possession of a valid work permit.

He has been teaching in Thailand for some 27 years and is a very sprightly fit and healthy well  presented and much loved by staff and students 72 years old  gentleman. Age is not a barrier to a work permit.

Edited by delphioracle
  • Like 2