You think you're speaking English but you're actually speaking American!

Jingthing

2 minutes ago, Naam said:

and then they called it "latte" (Eyetalian for milk) :laugh: most neckhair raising are americanised French words as far as pronunciation is concerned, e.g. "lawngeray" for "lingerie" :sick: or the use of the expression "attitude" without an adjective :crying:

Kinda like po-tay-to, po-ta-to? LOL

Brewery is the one that concerns me the most. LOL

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Used to be that British tv employed people that spoke properly. Unfortunately, all British public speakers now seem to talk like chavs. It's no wonder that all the sheeple think that's the norm.
What makes it worse is that anyone that does speak properly is bullied for being an upper class wally, true or not.
Even the ability to write correct English grammar seems to be vanishing.

There was a time in England when i went back the Posh Girls had lost the ability to say YES..I was mesmerized by all these Dolly Mops saying OK Yah, not a clear Pristine YES.!.Nice comment TBL.?

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

As the Brits would say "I quite like this article" or "I quite like this article" depending on like or dislike

BBC and sports announcers might also learn how to pronounce foreign words. Just today some news reader talked about Cassin-i space craft vs proper Cas-SI-ni spacecraft... always "Gomes" not said like Gomez.... forget about Japanese words. Fukushima was so off the charts I'd nary a clue of where they were talking about if there had been no photos

I don't like the fact that a lot of the variation of American across the country has been lost. Being able to tell what state someone is from is not as easy as it used to be. 

In Thailand usually if I order food  "to go" (American) Thais will not comprehend, but if I say "take away" they will.

Fun.

1 hour ago, faraday said:

Yup, went into McDonald's & was asked if I wanted to "upsize" my order.

Now, the correct form would have been:

"Sir, would you care to have a larger burger?"

My reply would have been:

"Madam, my burger is large enough"

:laugh:

Since off-topic is allowed: Upsizing in McD refers to the size of your fries and soft drink... nothing to do with burgers.

The English language evolves the same as the global environment.  I have taught with Brits and have had a hard time understanding.  Makes it difficult for the kids.  If Chaucer read the evening new I am sure a lot of Brits would complain.

On 09/09/2017 at 8:23 PM, oldhippy said:

There is no such thing as British English.

There is loso and hiso English in the uk, plus many languages in between, plus many dialects.

The neutral English is Kiwi English.

And no, I am not a Kiwi.

But I love them.

You're wrong,  the perfect English is spoken by people from inverness

15 minutes ago, leither69 said:

You're wrong,  the perfect English is spoken by people from inverness

15 minutes ago, leither69 said:

Both wrong. The most perfectly neutral English is from a CBC (Canadian) newsreader!  :thumbsup: 

Kiwis want to stain their dick 

or the use of the expression "attitude" without an adjective :crying:

or the use of the expression "fun" without an adjective  

Edited by VocalNeal

On 9/10/2017 at 2:04 AM, samsensam said:

haha, i may be a pedant or old school but i always order a small  coffee white or black, i also avoid the big chains in favour of smaller privately owned places whenever possible, in my experience i get better coffee and a more pleasurable experience.

Also, you'll come across less freaks waiting on you.  Less tats, piercings, etc.

On 10/09/2017 at 1:27 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

Well done.

I for one despise going into a shop and being given a choice of meaningless options because the sheeple have become seduced by the consumer society and think it makes them superior to call things by stupid names. I went to have a coffee with a friend, and not knowing any of the choices published I asked for an espresso because I thought it was an expresso, which I believed was more like a proper cup of coffee. I didn't even know that espresso is a stupid tiny waste of money drink. Bah humbug.

Even ice cream is being taken over by the trendies with another load of stupid names to confuse.

me to

1 hour ago, elgenon said:

I don't like the fact that a lot of the variation of American across the country has been lost. Being able to tell what state someone is from is not as easy as it used to be. 

In Thailand usually if I order food  "to go" (American) Thais will not comprehend, but if I say "take away" they will.

Fun.

Another example, try ordering a "large beer."  You'll get a dumbfounded look.  You need to say "big" beer.

On 9/9/2017 at 8:23 PM, oldhippy said:

There is loso and hiso English in the uk, plus many languages in between, plus many dialects.

And no, I am not a Kiwi.

But I love them.

Yes, Kiwi's are nice. We eat them regularly and the juice is also good.

As to your comments on the English Language:

"English is a pluricentric language, which means that no one national authority sets the standard for use of the language. But English is not a divided language, despite a long-standing joke originally attributed to George Bernard Shaw that the United Kingdom and the United States are "two countries separated by a common language". Spoken English, for example English used in broadcasting, generally follows national pronunciation standards that are also established by custom rather than by regulation. International broadcasters are usually identifiable as coming from one country rather than another through their accents, but newsreader scripts are also composed largely in international standard written English. The norms of standard written English are maintained purely by the consensus of educated English-speakers around the world, without any oversight by any government or international organisation.

Source: Wiki

I can find no reference to you hiso / loso English as classifications. Perhaps you could supply some references for us?

And no, I am not a Kiwi.

But I love them.

In UK we call it the "Queen's English"  

1 minute ago, Baerboxer said:

Yes, Kiwi's are nice. We eat them regularly and the juice is also good.

As to your comments on the English Language:

"English is a pluricentric language, which means that no one national authority sets the standard for use of the language. But English is not a divided language, despite a long-standing joke originally attributed to George Bernard Shaw that the United Kingdom and the United States are "two countries separated by a common language". Spoken English, for example English used in broadcasting, generally follows national pronunciation standards that are also established by custom rather than by regulation. International broadcasters are usually identifiable as coming from one country rather than another through their accents, but newsreader scripts are also composed largely in international standard written English. The norms of standard written English are maintained purely by the consensus of educated English-speakers around the world, without any oversight by any government or international organisation.

Source: Wiki

I can find no reference to you hiso / loso English as classifications. Perhaps you could supply some references for us?

QUOTE: I can find no reference to you hiso / loso English as classifications. Perhaps you could supply some references for us?

You must be joking?

I will add another one to hiso / loso English.

Middle class Thatcher style English.

You may want to compare the 2 versions of the Parrot Scene:

The original in regular English by Monty Python, and the poor imitation by Maggie.

Just now, oldhippy said:

QUOTE: I can find no reference to you hiso / loso English as classifications. Perhaps you could supply some references for us?

You must be joking?

I will add another one to hiso / loso English.

Middle class Thatcher style English.

You may want to compare the 2 versions of the Parrot Scene:

The original in regular English by Monty Python, and the poor imitation by Maggie.

You appear to be making  it up as you go along sport. 

Just now, jenny2017 said:

The language some people speak to sound "intelligent."?

Haha maybe but to sound "posh" might be a better description. But, when i was brought up (many moons ago), i was taught that 'good English' was the "Queens English"  as she led the nation (sort of). 

1 minute ago, Baerboxer said:

You appear to be making  it up as you go along sport. 

So you are saying that your queen, Maggie and Clapton speak the same class English?

As an appologist you may perhaps  be touchy when the words hiso and loso are used?

2 minutes ago, LannaGuy said:

Haha maybe but to sound "posh" might be a better description. But, when i was brought up (many moons ago), i was taught that 'good English' was the "Queens English"  as she led the nation (sort of). 

Any idea on how to put something" into her handbag? :ph34r:

Edited by jenny2017

And no, I am not a Kiwi.

But I love them.

What we learn in Europe mainland is Brittish english like queen Elisabeth speaks it...for us that's real english, all the rest is slang.

Americans put "batter" on their bread, say "what's that" instead of "i'm sorry" and so on....very frustrating..

On 9/9/2017 at 11:04 PM, samsensam said:

haha, i may be a pedant or old school but i always order a small  coffee white or black, i also avoid the big chains in favour of smaller privately owned places whenever possible, in my experience i get better coffee and a more pleasurable experience.

You are so right. I drink black coffee without sugar. The nearest i can get to it is some rubbish called Americano which is Expresso coffee (which I hate) with extra added water. It is almost impossible to get a genuine filtered black coffee. I blame all the American chain coffee shops. The best coffee I have found is in continental Europe with Sweden at the top of the list.

1 minute ago, Thian said:

What we learn in Europe mainland is Brittish english like queen Elisabeth speaks it...for us that's real english, all the rest is slang.

Americans put "batter" on their bread, say "what's that" instead of "i'm sorry" and so on....very frustrating..

But the Americans have god on their side, regarding to George W. Bush.

3 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

So you are saying that your queen, Maggie and Clapton speak the same class English?

As an appologist you may perhaps  be touchy when the words hiso and loso are used?

Apologist - what are you on about?

You seem to think local accents, and the way languages are used based on intellect, education, and familiarity are actual linguistic classifications.

Enlighten us, where did you get your PhD in English Language? Your thesis must have been unique and you must have had copious articles published!

Edited by Baerboxer