You think you're speaking English but you're actually speaking American!

Jingthing

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, goldenbrwn1 said:

I think you are way off point with your Brit views.  I still live in the UK 6 months of the year and the general feeling I hear towards our cousins across the pond is nothing but  respect.  Admittedly we Brits do like to banter and maybe sometimes this may go over our American friends heads and be taken as offence .   But in reality nothing but love for the US on the ground here in the UK mate. ?

Sorry about  my punctuation ect but my iPad is set to  British English default.

Glad to hear that; however, either it has gone over my head or many of the Brits on TV do engage in US bashing.  Quite frankly, I think most of your former colonies hold some form of resentment toward the UK.

12 minutes ago, smotherb said:

I believe they call your complaint hard feces. Do some reading of history. My comments were about Oz, not Nz. However, the same applies, the UK gave you up for grabs to the Japanese--do you think NZ could have repulsed a Japanese invasion? 

Your comments have been about all and sundry NOT just Oz or the British! Read your own 'history' and open your mouth a little wider for your next foot! Or are you having selective amnesia? :whistling: :smile:

And now I recall a quote attributed to George Carlin: Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.'  

I take my hat off to you Sir and will retire with dignity still intact. E noho rā  

29 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

This is really getting off topic into another political debate.

Please.
Not.
Here.

As the OP I suggest the thread be closed if people can't correct this and get back on topic.

Perhaps a nice cup of coffee would help calm things down.  Or tea, according to your culture.

Or a fancy hot beverage with an Italian-sounding name.

Personally, I find coffee with condensed milk slightly hard to take, especially with a lot of added sugar.

SC

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

This is really getting off topic into another political debate.

Please.
Not.
Here.

As the OP I suggest the thread be closed if people can't correct this and get back on topic.

IMHO it's been that way for quite a while. However, it's also given quite a few people a chance to vent, so thanks for the original title.

3 hours ago, smotherb said:

Glad to hear that; however, either it has gone over my head or many of the Brits on TV do engage in US bashing.  Quite frankly, I think most of your former colonies hold some form of resentment toward the UK.

Basing  your opinions on Brits from the media is going to be way off the mark. Maybe take a trip to the UK ( not London!!) and spend some time chatting to Brits in the local boozers or elsewhere ....you will be pleasantly surprised.

It's the UK Governments at the time that the colonies should be angry with...and even then I doubt it would surpass the hatred the UKs own populace had for the said governments in those times.  Soz for going off topic..?

Edited by goldenbrwn1

9 hours ago, lvr181 said:

Your comments have been about all and sundry NOT just Oz or the British! Read your own 'history' and open your mouth a little wider for your next foot! Or are you having selective amnesia? :whistling: :smile:

And now I recall a quote attributed to George Carlin: Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.'  

I take my hat off to you Sir and will retire with dignity still intact. E noho rā  

been carrying  your own chair long?

6 hours ago, goldenbrwn1 said:

Basing  your opinions on Brits from the media is going to be way off the mark. Maybe take a trip to the UK ( not London!!) and spend some time chatting to Brits in the local boozers or elsewhere ....you will be pleasantly surprised.

It's the UK Governments at the time that the colonies should be angry with...and even then I doubt it would surpass the hatred the UKs own populace had for the said governments in those times.  Soz for going off topic..?

Great, I would like to. It's been many years since I traveled in the UK.

I've only read a couple of pages so have obviously missed most of the 'debate', but as long as we can understand each other - is it really important?

The US is the dominant world country, which is v fortunate for us Brits. - as it has resulted in the English language still being the second language taught in all (?) non-English speaking countries.

On 18/09/2017 at 7:34 PM, The manic said:

Georgia in the southern USA. Not Georgia in the Urals.

Maybe they still speak Cherokee?

Seriously though, the No.1 language of the internet is English however you spell it or pronounce it.

I also think all International Air Traffic Control is done in English?

Edited by George FmplesdaCosteedback

3 minutes ago, Naam said:

i alvays zought i kann speak English till i got murried und mein vife told me zat i speak zome sort of Angel-Suckson Tcherman. i zink she is pooling mein leg. :unsure:

Was it you that always played the German in American war movies? Or is your real name Kurt Waldheim?

Kvestions! Kvestions! Zo fiele kvestions!