Merkel challenger spells out conditions for post-election coalition

webfact

Merkel challenger spells out conditions for post-election coalition

By Michelle Martin

tag-reuters.jpg

Germany's Social Democratic Party (SPD) candidate for chancellor Martin Schulz reacts during an election rally in Mainz, Germany, September 9, 2017. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski

BERLIN (Reuters) - Chancellor Angela Merkel's Social Democrat (SPD) challenger said on Sunday his party would not form any alliances after a Sept. 24 election unless fair wages, free education, secure pensions and a commitment to a democratic Europe were guaranteed.

The SPD was trailing Merkel's conservatives by 13 points in an Emnid poll published on Saturday, with 24 percent support. Polls show the most likely coalitions are a re-run of the current conservative-SPD alliance or a 'Jamaica' tie-up of the conservatives, Greens and pro-business Free Democrats (FDP).

For the first time, SPD leader Martin Schulz on Sunday laid out his conditions for joining any coalitions in a video broadcast on the party's website.

"Specific policies for fair wages, good schools, secure pensions and a democratic Europe for peace - that's what I promise you," 61-year-old Schulz said.

"An SPD government would implement these plans. They're non-negotiable for me. That's why I want to become German chancellor," he said.

But polls suggest the SPD's only option for gaining power would be as a junior partner in another "grand coalition" with the conservatives under Merkel.

Schulz has put social justice at the core of his campaign, but that has failed to gain much traction. Germans have generally enjoyed 12 years of prosperity under Merkel, and she has trumpeted her economic achievements - such as reducing unemployment - throughout the campaign.

In an interview with the Funke newspaper group, Schulz said he was against a re-run of the current coalition, an alliance that is always a last resort because it leaves little opposition in parliament.

"We're not seeking to continue the grand coalition," he said. "I'm running to supersede Merkel."

Merkel warned supporters at a campaign rally in the northwestern town of Delbrueck on Sunday that the election result was not yet clear despite her lead in the polls.

"A lot of people say the vote is practically decided already ... but it is not," she said, adding that many people would make up their minds in the final days before the vote.

She had on Saturday called for a high election turnout, saying: "We must fight for every single person to go and vote."

Germany's smaller parties narrowed down possible coalition options over the weekend, with both the Greens and the FDP saying they could not imagine a 'Jamaica' coalition, the name refers to the black, yellow and green colours of the Jamaican flag.

(Reporting by Michelle Martin, editing by Larry King)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-09-11

Schulz might not be the best person to preserve Germany's heritage, culture and way of life. You can see he has spent the past decade sheltered by bullet-proof glass, teams of bodyguards and a total lack of understanding of aggressively growing ideologies. He also seems clueless about Morocco.

"The dream of Europe is a region of freedom and peace, of security, law, democracy, tolerance and mutual respect. If you look into the faces of the refugees you will see this dream. These are people who are fleeing from war, hate, violence and unjust systems."

But I expect they have thrown passports at enough non-Germans recently to have totally screwed up any chance of a fair election.

1 hour ago, FreddieRoyle said:

Schulz might not be the best person to preserve Germany's heritage, culture and way of life. You can see he has spent the past decade sheltered by bullet-proof glass, teams of bodyguards and a total lack of understanding of aggressively growing ideologies. He also seems clueless about Morocco.

"The dream of Europe is a region of freedom and peace, of security, law, democracy, tolerance and mutual respect. If you look into the faces of the refugees you will see this dream. These are people who are fleeing from war, hate, violence and unjust systems."

But I expect they have thrown passports at enough non-Germans recently to have totally screwed up any chance of a fair election.

Got any info to back up your claims? e.g. how many refugees have obtained German citizenship in the past five years. What doesn't Shultz know about Morocco - facts please.

2 minutes ago, simple1 said:

Got any info to back up your claims? e.g. how many refugees have obtained German citizenship in the past five years. What doesn't Shultz know about Morocco - facts please.

Right, about 15 years ago German leaders Merkel, Schulz et al decided they were bored of their sterile country, most able bodied and minded people worked, crime was almost zero and what crime occurred was quickly solved. Germany was famous for quality manufacturing with an anal eye for detail and a lack of humor. The four sprung duck technique was a national motto. It was boring for the leaders, they had nothing to do to justify their wages.

Nowadays Germany is internationally famous for the chaos the immigration policies have brought. Crime, well they normally don't bother reporting or registering it any more, it's basically anarchy out there on the street. Drugs are openly sold by undocumented persons in public areas, police daren't arrest them for fears of being branded racist, violent crime is off the scale. This is thanks to Schulz and Merkel. I can post a couple of dozen videos of mass sexual assaults and violent attacks if you need it, but I'm sure you are aware. Now internal borders are being thrown up as a reaction to this insanity, Schengen is in doubt, and the internal East/West fighting over settling Merkels immigrants is threatening to tear the EU apart. 

And if he had a shred of decency, Schulz would be prostrating himself before the natives, begging for forgiveness and recommending that the Germans vote AfD to give hope that his destructive actions can be unwound somewhat.

3 minutes ago, FreddieRoyle said:

Right, about 15 years ago German leaders Merkel, Schulz et al decided they were bored of their sterile country, most able bodied and minded people worked, crime was almost zero and what crime occurred was quickly solved. Germany was famous for quality manufacturing with an anal eye for detail and a lack of humor. The four sprung duck technique was a national motto. It was boring for the leaders, they had nothing to do to justify their wages.

Nowadays Germany is internationally famous for the chaos the immigration policies have brought. Crime, well they normally don't bother reporting or registering it any more, it's basically anarchy out there on the street. Drugs are openly sold by undocumented persons in public areas, police daren't arrest them for fears of being branded racist, violent crime is off the scale. This is thanks to Schulz and Merkel. I can post a couple of dozen videos of mass sexual assaults and violent attacks if you need it, but I'm sure you are aware. Now internal borders are being thrown up as a reaction to this insanity, Schengen is in doubt, and the internal East/West fighting over settling Merkels immigrants is threatening to tear the EU apart. 

And if he had a shred of decency, Schulz would be prostrating himself before the natives, begging for forgiveness and recommending that the Germans vote AfD to give hope that his destructive actions can be unwound somewhat.

Yep it worked out well last time when Germany entrusted its future to the far right.

20 minutes ago, FreddieRoyle said:

So no facts to back up your post #2, only a rehash right of centre propaganda - in one word 'trolling'

Edited by simple1

3 hours ago, FreddieRoyle said:

Clearly this makes a lot of sense. That's why the CDU amd the SPD together have about 60 percent of the populace voting for them according to the polls. And if you throw in the Green, FDP, and the Linke, it's at about 85 percent. And that's because  these parties, which aren't catering to anti-immigrant paranoia, are the obvious choice for the electorate of a nation that has "anarchy on the street." Especially given the German passion for order.

Do you read what you write before you post it?

1 minute ago, ilostmypassword said:

Clearly this makes a lot of sense. That's why the CDU amd the SPD together have about 60 percent of the populace voting for them according to the polls. And if you throw in the Green, FDP, and the Linke, it's at about 85 percent. And that's because  these parties, which aren't catering to anti-immigrant paranoia, are the obvious choice for the electorate of a nation that has "anarchy on the street." Especially given the German passion for order.

Do you read what you write before you post it?

You are right in a way. The German voters have been totally misled by the media. They are making decisions based on incorrect information, which is how this 85% of turkeys voting for more thanksgivings has occurred. 

https://www.ft.com/content/23e02b76-7074-11e7-93ff-99f383b09ff9

29 minutes ago, FreddieRoyle said:

You are right in a way. The German voters have been totally misled by the media. They are making decisions based on incorrect information, which is how this 85% of turkeys voting for more thanksgivings has occurred. 

https://www.ft.com/content/23e02b76-7074-11e7-93ff-99f383b09ff9

According to you anarchy reigns on the streets. So you're saying that the alleged horrors a typical german experiences every day outside his or her front door is outweighed by what the media is saying? Clearly this is nonsense.

16 minutes ago, ilostmypassword said:

According to you anarchy reigns on the streets. So you're saying that the alleged horrors a typical german experiences every day outside his or her front door is outweighed by what the media is saying? Clearly this is nonsense.

I am saying the realities of life on the streets of Germany is not the same as the picture officialdom and media are attempting to portray. I can offer you only sundry stories from international media outlets as to the point blank refusal of German authorities to accept violent crime reports committed by "sensitive" groups. Here is one for a start - the important thing here is not the crime - the important thing is WHY the police refuse to press charges. 

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/728166/Germany-police-pressure-refugee-migrant-crisis-sexual-assault-Rheinberg-asylum-crime

I reiterate, German voters do not have access to correct informations, and from Germans I speak to they tell me they are scared to voice their concerns due to the fears of being branded racist and the life changing fallout from such harsh accusations.

29 minutes ago, FreddieRoyle said:

I am saying the realities of life on the streets of Germany is not the same as the picture officialdom and media are attempting to portray. I can offer you only sundry stories from international media outlets as to the point blank refusal of German authorities to accept violent crime reports committed by "sensitive" groups. Here is one for a start - the important thing here is not the crime - the important thing is WHY the police refuse to press charges. 

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/728166/Germany-police-pressure-refugee-migrant-crisis-sexual-assault-Rheinberg-asylum-crime

I reiterate, German voters do not have access to correct informations, and from Germans I speak to they tell me they are scared to voice their concerns due to the fears of being branded racist and the life changing fallout from such harsh accusations.

Maybe you think policy should be based on headlines but sensible people want data. And the notion that the Germans are suppressing data is just the kind of thing fanatics say when they can't find sound facts to support their contentions. And no, selecting articles from a sea of headlines doesn't count. And if you had even a rudimentary grasp of probability and statistics you would know why.

And even if these Germans are afraid to be accused of being racist, how does that fear translate to the ballot box? Are you saying that they are being spied on there and that their individual vote will be publicized? Or are we in for a huge surprise and the Afd will emerge victorious?