North Korea warns U.S. will pay due price for spearheading U.N. sanctions

webfact

2 minutes ago, baboon said:

Mind you it isn't going to happen anyway in all likelihood, so the conversation is academic.

Lest we forget..... 

"peace in our time".... Neville chamberlain (UK PM) 30 September 1938

"I promise I won't come in your mouth" Anonymous

arms build ups usually end up in war.... I hope I'm very very wrong 

1 minute ago, farcanell said:

Lest we forget..... 

"peace in our time".... Neville chamberlain (UK PM) 30 September 1938

"I promise I won't come in your mouth" Anonymous

arms build ups usually end up in war.... I hope I'm very very wrong 

1. The DPRK is not an expansionist state. They are not threatening any other countries with invasion / regime change. The only war they have ever been in was a civil war against other Koreans on their own peninsula. 

2. 'Err, whoops? Sorry about that.'

3. The sanity defying arms build up of the Cold War came to naught in the end. Don't lose sleep over this one either.

Trump may be unpredictable, but he's not a dictator with absolute control of the military.  Kim is unpredictable and has absolute control of his entire country.

Probably just rhetoric, but these kinds of statements don't help.

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/09/11/asia/north-korea-un-vote/index.html

"The DPRK is ready and willing to use any form of ultimate means," the statement said, referring to the country by its official name the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK).

"The forthcoming measures to be taken by the DPRK will cause the US the greatest pain and suffering it had ever gone through in its entire history."

Statements like these help those in charge pursue a first strike.

2 hours ago, billd766 said:

I truly hope that you are right.

I don't recall a time in my life when doomsday hasn't been just round the corner for one reason or another, yet here we still are.

Grab yourself a comfy chair, a glass of something decent and the new le Carré. Even if we are all screwed there is shag all we can do about it anyway, so enjoy what you have in the here and now.

Edited by baboon

6 hours ago, stevenl said:

Maybe he wants to, but I believe he will be 'overruled' by cooler heads. But I think this is at the moment a far greater risk than Kim striking first.

Trump, according to your post, got some "cooler heads" to keep him in check.

Kim doesn't.

How's Trump a "far greater risk", then?

5 hours ago, baboon said:

How can a DPRK first strike on the US possibly make any kind of sense? Leave out the usual 'But everyone knows they are mad' canards. What would they hope to accomplish by having themselves wiped out?

As for "those effected collaterally, are those who should be most proactive in defusing the situation, by useing alternative means, as the current ones don't seem to be working (ie... calling for diplomatic negotiations)" That is just a fancy way of saying 'Anyone killed should have worked harder to prevent war, so it is their own tough sh!t if they die'.

Mind you it isn't going to happen anyway in all likelihood, so the conversation is academic.

Not every action and decision taken is sensible or even reasonable. Leaders might miscalculate, make mistakes, or just act on a whim. Assuming that Kim is some infallible reasoning machine is ridiculous. This doesn't even have to involve any strong assertions as to his mental health. And just that correction - not that many talk about "they are mad", most such comments are directed at Kim, rather than NK as a whole.

If Kim falls under the impression he's under attack, or that his regime is under critical threat, he might go for it anyway. Take them down with him sort of thing. Or, perhaps he calculates that even if he attacks first, the US will not answer in kind, but restrict it's response to conventional weapons. Not too far fetched, by the way.

what does bickering solve, it is not possible to take out Kim, he has a deep history, and ties

to Russia and China the US does not have, they can take out the US, with India and

others in the BRICS and SCO, Trump may be out and the rhetoric toned down