Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, impulse said:

Dangerous as the roads are, the way the numbers work out is that she has (for example) a 1 in 100,000 chance of being killed on Thai roads instead of a 1 in 250,000 chance on safer roads.  Fatalities are reported on the basis of deaths per billion km traveled.  Her odds are pretty good.  But I wouldn't let my kid do it.

Godspeed to her.

Remember roads deaths are only recorded as such if the person dies on the road. How many die after they get to hospital?

8 minutes ago, gandalf12 said:

Remember roads deaths are only recorded as such if the person dies on the road. How many die after they get to hospital?

Yup, it is a part of 'face saving'. Very difficult for many 'authorities' to admit the truth. A cultural trait perhaps?

Yep, pick a headline for tomorrow.

1. Friends and relations of Round the world cyclist open a 'fund me' page for injured cyclist.

2. Round the world cyclist raped.

3. Round the world cyclists brakes fail on borrowed bike, ends up in Klong.

4. Fines galore for Round the world cyclist forces end to trip.

If I was advising this young woman I would be much more concerned about rape and personal violence against her. I have talked to many young solo female travels over the years who have come close to rape situations when off the tourist track a bit, one had her door kicked in by staff at a meditation retreat in the Tong Pa Poon district of Kanchanaburi and only escaped because she had a big knife in her room. 

18 minutes ago, gandalf12 said:
3 hours ago, impulse said:

Dangerous as the roads are, the way the numbers work out is that she has (for example) a 1 in 100,000 chance of being killed on Thai roads instead of a 1 in 250,000 chance on safer roads.  Fatalities are reported on the basis of deaths per billion km traveled.  Her odds are pretty good.  But I wouldn't let my kid do it.

Godspeed to her.

Even so, that may increase her odds of being killed to 1 in 50,000.  Crazy dangerous on a statistical/ insurance actuarial basis, but nothing close to a death wish.

Does she realise that the edge of the road will have constant car's and bikes coming from her left not looking and drive straight out into road.

Or at any part of the day are drunk drivers bombing around in big pick up trucks who won't even realise they hit her.

Look at the photo- she's not looking forward shes riding having turned around for a photo. The most concerning thing is her lack of concern. There's an attitude on thai roads that's fairly suicidal- you have to understand that to have a chance of avoiding the risks.

problem with youth is that you believe you are bulletproof and you really think  it can't or won't happen to you; until it does; having traveled all this way she actually thinks she is bigger than Ben Hur, this journey in all likelihood is going  to end the way nearly every single post here has predicted

5 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

She plans to complete her round the world trip in a total of about 5 to 6 months and will then return to the UK.

Of course she'll be OK . . . she's pretty, she keeps to the edge and she gets a great reception wherever she goes. But 'great reception' worries me a little.

Now, call me pedantic, but if she started from UK and plans to go round the world, how come she will then need to return to the UK . . . she should be there already . . .:saai:

23 minutes ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

I wouldn't cycle in Thailand.

Far too dangerous. 

excellent news, guess i wont be bumping into on one of my daily rides. 

there are those of us who do things, there are those of us who talk about all the things they wont do.

personally id rather risk it than sit at home waiting to die.

4 minutes ago, Happy enough said:

"Because Alex, 21, says she always keeps to the edge of the road"

probably the  most dangerous part of the road for a cyclist, hope she can see around bends

Well she will have lots of company on the side of the road because most Thai drivers drive on that part of the road also

I've just completed/survived my first and last long distance drive in Thailand (Khon Kaen - Patong, return). 

We had 2 near-death experiences (cars overtaking on our side of the road) and we saw another 2 (speed related) accidents occur in front of us. 

Thailand is by far the most dangerous I've driven (includes Aus, NZ, most SE Asia, USA, Sth America, UK and Europe). 

The girl has chosen the wrong country for a long distance bike ride. 

I sincerely wish her luck. She will need a lot of it.