Anybody here got questioned after 4 setv's?

Hi guys,

I'm doing my 5th setv 3rd week of this month in vientianne. Any of you guys got questioned after the 4th one?

These are my setvs.

1st-savanaket

2nd-savanaket

3rd-savanaket

4th- vientiane

I would gladly appreciate any info. Also the rules in vientianne still the same about not asking for bank statement or show money 20k and outbound plane ticket?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-P355 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

As far as I know nobody actually gets "questioned" at VT

One of 3 things will happen,

You will get your visa, very likely as you have only had one from there

They will refuse you a visa, the last time I was at VT with one of the visa run companies a guy I was with was refused, he learnt this the next day when we all went back to collect our PP, he already had the red stamp from another Embassy in his PP hence the refusal at VT

You will get a visa but it will have the "red stamp" on it, this means you will not receive another at VT (unless you get a new PP)

Immigration at Nong Khai are very friendly and I doubt you will have any issues in returning but have 20k in cash just to be on the safe side

You are quite likely to get the visa, but with the red stamp indicating no more. It is only your second from Vientiane (usually they will give you at least 3 before red stamping you) but other threads suggest they also look at the number of visas from Savannakhet.

Entering at Nong Khai should be no problem. They are very laid back there unless there are glaring issues.

In your position, I would prefer to go elsewhere, just to avoid the red stamp issue.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BritTim said:

You are quite likely to get the visa, but with the red stamp indicating no more. It is only your second from Vientiane (usually they will give you at least 3 before red stamping you) but other threads suggest they also look at the number of visas from Savannakhet.

Entering at Nong Khai should be no problem. They are very laid back there unless there are glaring issues.

In your position, I would prefer to go elsewhere, just to avoid the red stamp issue.

So where would you suggest he go ,say for example he lives in Amnat Charoen bearing in mind for example there is no ticket out of the country ,he has the 20k but no ticket where would you suggest to go for another SETV.

38 minutes ago, paul18620 said:

So where would you suggest he go ,say for example he lives in Amnat Charoen bearing in mind for example there is no ticket out of the country ,he has the 20k but no ticket where would you suggest to go for another SETV.

Why would there be no ticket out of the country?

33 minutes ago, paul18620 said:

If determined to find a consulate that does not require an onward flight reservation, the current options are (i) Vientiane; (ii) home country. (Actually it is possible Hong Kong might still give one, but unclear.)

From Amnat, the obvious place to go is Savannakhet. As is know, the conditions are now annoying. Since Ubon has no direct international flights, options like Phnom Penh (where you can have agent deal with most of the requirements) are expensive.

18 minutes ago, marke985 said:

What exactly is the red stamp I've read so much about?

Many consulates, if they consider that you have been abusing their issuing serial tourist visas close to Thailand, will give you a last visa, but stamp the passport in red with something along the lines of

The passport holder has traveled frequently to Thailand on tourist visas. Financial proof and other documents may be requested in the future.

This red stamp, in practice, means that Vientiane (and some other locations) will no longer accept any more applications for more tourist visas, no matter what documentation you provide.

• Like 1

When's the last time you returned to your country of origin? 4 seems steep but there's not much consistency in how immigration policy is enforced here.

Hi, I never left Thailand. Just Laos for my visa. I've been travelling around Thailand a lot. Met a lot of good friends here. I don't work. I got money coming in from my investments abroad.

Sent from my SM-P355 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, paul18620 said:

As don't want to leave yet 

Having a ticket out of the country doesn't mean to have to use it.  You could either choose a cheap destination (I've seen USD $35 to Singapore for instance) or a refundable ticket depending on your preference.  I have a flexi ticket than I can reschedule for $50, which is another option and means I always have a trip home already should it be necessary.

I've got a triple from london

A double from Vientiane then

Then 2 singles from Vientiane then 5 from Savannakhet no problems.

Go to Savannakhet I've had 5 in a row from there no problems. As long as you have a cheap ticket out of the country and proof of funds. Don't rock the boat to save 1000THB on a cheap ticket out of the country. And you are more likely to spend more in Vientiane then the 1000THB you save. And Ive never herd of anyone getting the red stamp in Savannakhet anyway.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 9/11/2017 at 9:57 PM, BritTim said:

Many consulates, if they consider that you have been abusing their issuing serial tourist visas close to Thailand, will give you a last visa, but stamp the passport in red with something along the lines of

This red stamp, in practice, means that Vientiane (and some other locations) will no longer accept any more applications for more tourist visas, no matter what documentation you provide.

Thanks as that is the one thing i was still unsure of.

viz..So They will give a "last visa" if you have for whatever reason they deem so, and give you the dreaded red stamp telling you not to come back.

I was worrieed that when they do actually give the red stamp that they would also NOT give the visa.

Is the way i see it correct please?

5 minutes ago, jamieoutlook said:

Thanks as that is the one thing i was still unsure of.

viz..So They will give a "last visa" if you have for whatever reason they deem so, and give you the dreaded red stamp telling you not to come back.

I was worrieed that when they do actually give the red stamp that they would also NOT give the visa.

Is the way i see it correct please?

In Vientiane, that has been the invariable experience the last couple of years. Such policies are subject to change, but Vientiane is a friendly consulate that tries to help applicants as far as they think they can.

If they give you a "red stamp" does that mean a last Tourist visa at that specific Embassy? For example if I get 3 back to back TR from Vientiane and they give a final visa plus a red stamp that say no more.

But then I go to malaysia or hong kong for the next TR will they also say no because I have a red stamp from Vientiane or will they go ahead and issue the Visa?

Also how long does the red stamp stay in effect?  What if they give a red stamp, but you go to Hong Kog and get a fresh visa, then after 3 months go to Vientiane again will that not count? Or the only way to avoid issues is get a new Passport?

Edited by lopezkoa

2 minutes ago, lopezkoa said:

If they give you a "red stamp" does that mean a last Tourist visa at that specific Embassy? For example if I get 3 back to back TR from Vientiane and they give a final visa plus a red stamp that say no more.

But then I go to malaysia or hong kong for the next TR will they also say no because I have a red stamp from Vientiane or will they go ahead and issue the Visa?

Also how long does the red stamp stay in effect?  What if they give a red stamp, but you go to Hong Kog and get a fresh visa, then after 3 months go to Vientiane again will that not count? Or the only way to avoid issues is get a new Passport?

It really does depend on which Embassy you go to, some will give you another visa some won't, it's pot luck, I have heard Savanakhet will but I wouldn't like to try it myself

The red stamp stays for the history of your PP,  Once you get the red stamp it's time to get a new Passport, Embassy's only look at your history in your current PP not your lifetime history 

You could get the red stamp at Vientianne, go back 5 years later with the same PP and be refused

If you take some of the advice given on here you will be fine

3 minutes ago, lopezkoa said:

ok thats good to know, so if i ever get a red stamp in the future with my Visa it would be an insurance policy to bite the bullet on the $120 fee and apply for a new passport.

Yes exactly

Personally if you are planning on staying longterm I would split your TV's  between the 2 Embassy's in Laos

I would avoid Airports at all costs unless you are getting a domestic flight on your visa trips

Land crossings coming back from both Laos Embassy's should be fine

• Like 1

13 hours ago, darrendsd said:

Yes exactly

Personally if you are planning on staying longterm I would split your TV's  between the 2 Embassy's in Laos

I would avoid Airports at all costs unless you are getting a domestic flight on your visa trips

Land crossings coming back from both Laos Embassy's should be fine

If staying here longer-term, one can get even more time out of a passport by using HCMC, Penang, HK - spreading them around.   The only land-border likely to reject entry is Poipet/Aranyaprathet.

Whether stretching a passport's life is preferable to getting new passports more frequently is dependent on the individual and their country's passport-policy.  The USA, for example, doesn't seem to care how often you apply for a new passport, provided you haven't lost the old one.  In these cases, new passports might be more economical than visa-trips further afield. 

Also, Savanakhet seems not to be red-stamping (according to recent reports) - perhaps due to the fact they enforce the money, hotel-booking or condo-lease, and out-of-country air-ticket, unlike Vientiane.  So if sticking to Laos, maybe get 2 or 3 from Vientiane, and then Savanakhet from there onward.  These policies could change at any time, of course.

Agree 100% on avoiding airports.

7 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

If staying here longer-term, one can get even more time out of a passport by using HCMC, Penang, HK - spreading them around.   The only land-border likely to reject entry is Poipet/Aranyaprathet.

Whether stretching a passport's life is preferable to getting new passports more frequently is dependent on the individual and their country's passport-policy.  The USA, for example, doesn't seem to care how often you apply for a new passport, provided you haven't lost the old one.  In these cases, new passports might be more economical than visa-trips further afield. 

Also, Savanakhet seems not to be red-stamping (according to recent reports) - perhaps due to the fact they enforce the money, hotel-booking or condo-lease, and out-of-country air-ticket, unlike Vientiane.  So if sticking to Laos, maybe get 2 or 3 from Vientiane, and then Savanakhet from there onward.  These policies could change at any time, of course.

Agree 100% on avoiding airports.

Agreed but going to the places you mentioned in your first paragraph means going through Airports with maybe the exception of Penang?

6 or 7 TV's from Laos mixed in with a couple of VE land crossings at friendly land borders, all with extensions is enough to fill a Passport up, trust me :smile:

The strange thing about Savvanakhet is it seems they will keep issuing TV's, this is despite you providing evidence on your previous application that you plan to leave Thailand after your last TV

13 minutes ago, darrendsd said:

Agreed but going to the places you mentioned in your first paragraph means going through Airports with maybe the exception of Penang?

6 or 7 TV's from Laos mixed in with a couple of VE land crossings at friendly land borders, all with extensions is enough to fill a Passport up, trust me :smile:

The strange thing about Savvanakhet is it seems they will keep issuing TV's, this is despite you providing evidence on your previous application that you plan to leave Thailand after your last TV

Yes - a good point - HCMC as an example - would involve loooong bus-rides or fly to Penang and bus-back from there.  New passports would be cheaper/easier for most of us.   Similar for diversion-flight from HK - though some still use the airports armed with their cash and fingers-crossed.  A new arrival could start their Thai-TV-journey with the "fly in" destinations without issue.

My passport is not even 1/2 full after some years, because when you apply abroad, the USA gives you the "thicker" passport.   Fortunately, they don't seem to care about this when applying for a new one.

On Savanakhet, provided you did leave on time (did not overstay), you kept your word.  You did not promise not to return a few days later, and there is no law/rule saying you should not do so.  Vientiane's policy seems to be "count visas and red-stamp with no other filter" (or even considering time out of country) and Savanakhet's is "require all the docs every time."

Edited by JackThompson
  • Like 1

What if someone cant avoid airports, if someone got 2 back to back Visa from Laos and wants to switch it up and go to Hong Kong, is it really posing a risk because you go through an airport? it seems like thats a better idea then just going to Laos over and over. I think that would raise more red flags.

But If you get a  new un-used visa, you go back to suvarnabhumi and they say no you cant enter.... does that make your Visa invalid? then if that happens what are your options? 

Also about the "thicker US passports" this is only available if you apply for a new passport in Thailand? they will give you a US passport with more pages or is it the same if I wait and apply back in US? As the Passport I have now which i applied for in US only has like 25 pages so im not sure if it changed if applying back in US or if its the same one

Edited by lopezkoa

9 minutes ago, lopezkoa said:

What if someone cant avoid airports, if someone got 2 back to back Visa from Laos and wants to switch it up and go to Hong Kong, is it really posing a risk because you go through an airport? it seems like thats a better idea then just going to Laos over and over. If you get a  new un-used visa, you go back to suvarnabhumi and they say no you cant enter.... does that make your Visa invalid? then if that happens wouldnt your next option just be go in from land border to try again? 

The risks of entering through airports as a tourist after long residence in Thailand on tourist entries can be overstated, but are real. The possession of a visa does not stop the immigration official from scrutinizing you as a possible illegal worker. If the official (rightly or wrongly) decides you fit the profile of an illegal worker, and denies you entry, this will be an official denial (noted in immigration's system,, visible to immigration officials whenever you enter Thailand in the future, and stamped in your passport). Not only are you returned to your departure point, but entering Thailand in the future may be difficult.

In contrast, land border points, if they do deny you entry, do so unofficially (sparing themselves the work involved in an official denial). They send you back over the border, but you can try to enter elsewhere later with the immigration officials being unaware that you were denied elsewhere.

If you have not previously spent long periods in Thailand on tourist entries, by all means use airports to come back to Thailand. If already here for long periods as a tourist you could still take the risk. The odds will be in your favor, even if selected for extra scrutiny, but you could be unlucky.

22 minutes ago, lopezkoa said:

What if someone cant avoid airports, if someone got 2 back to back Visa from Laos and wants to switch it up and go to Hong Kong, is it really posing a risk because you go through an airport? it seems like thats a better idea then just going to Laos over and over. I think that would raise more red flags.

But If you get a  new un-used visa, you go back to suvarnabhumi and they say no you cant enter.... does that make your Visa invalid? then if that happens what are your options? 

Also about the "thicker US passports" this is only available if you apply for a new passport in Thailand? they will give you a US passport with more pages or is it the same if I wait and apply back in US? As the Passport I have now which i applied for in US only has like 25 pages so im not sure if it changed if applying back in US or if its the same one

Not that many people have problems entering at airports. It just depend on your immigration history and etc.

Best to have the equivalent of 20k baht in cash and proof of an income outside the country to prove you are not working if question about what you are doing here.

You visa would still be valid for entry.

The new US passport application form has box to tick for the larger passport. Before that you had to include a request for the larger passport when you sent in your application. My current passport and the previous 3 were all the large passports.

1 hour ago, lopezkoa said:

Trust me when I say going to Laos over and over does not raise more red flags (as long as you follow the requirements)

IMO coming from stories from friends and reports on here going through Airports over and over again poses more red flags and a higher risk of being denied entry

Take the advice you have been given on here and play it safe

• Like 1