SiiNet IP address changes every 15 mins

BuffaloRescue

Im in Chiang Mai

Ive got the standard wifi router for Fibre

My IP frequently changes. I contacted their support and they just tell me ""Mai Pen Rai Kaaa"

But it does matter because I'm using websites that need me to keep logging in again when the IP changes

What can I do about it? Should I get a new router? If so I just go to a shop and buy a ethernet router? (my router connects directly with a lan cable that comes into my condo. Are there specific settings for it? 

It's unlikely to be the fault of the router.  Probably the ISP does it deliberately.  The two ISPs we deal with change the ips every 24 hours.  The actual time of the change varies annoyingly.  Your router would get a new ip if it reboots, but I assume that if it were rebooting every 15 minutes you would have noticed.

Consider gettting a new ISP.

Getting a new router will do nothing for you.  Your IP address is being provided by DHCP meaning that it's not permanent.  (This allows the service provider to purchase fewer IP addresses and share them out only to active users.  Admittedly, changing IP address every 15 minutes is a little extreme.  It also makes it difficult for people to host webservers (which might generate a lot of traffic) themselves.)

You could upgrade your Internet package to one which includes a static/fixed IP address.

Or I think you could possibly use a VPN for the troublesome sites.  The easiest way to check this out would be to install the Developer version of the Opera browser.  That's what I'd do first.

2 hours ago, Oxx said:

Getting a new router will do nothing for you.  Your IP address is being provided by DHCP meaning that it's not permanent.  (This allows the service provider to purchase fewer IP addresses and share them out only to active users.  Admittedly, changing IP address every 15 minutes is a little extreme.  It also makes it difficult for people to host webservers (which might generate a lot of traffic) themselves.)

You could upgrade your Internet package to one which includes a static/fixed IP address.

Or I think you could possibly use a VPN for the troublesome sites.  The easiest way to check this out would be to install the Developer version of the Opera browser.  That's what I'd do first.

Will a vpn connection survive a new ip assignment?  Hmm, maybe packet retransmits announce the new ip to the other end?

Edited by CaptHaddock

OP, 

The plan you have with your ISP uses a Dynamic IP (i.e., it changes periodically)....standard operating procedure with the great majority of internet plans. 

Now if you absolutely need an IP address that never changes, then you need to check to see if your ISP has "static" IP plans which usually cost about twice as much as a regular plan.  Few people need  a static IP plan...and that's why you don't see them advertised very much...more of business thing.

It will vary with your ISP as to how often your IP will change....could be once  day...could be several times a day....could be every 3 days...could be every week....could be (fill in this blank).  

I with AIS Fibre and from looking at a log of my IP changes going back about a two weeks, I've had three IP changes over that period....one IP lasted 3 days, another one lasted 3 days, and the third one lasted around 6 days. 

Yeap, with a dynamic IP system used  by ISPs, it's up to the IP how long the IP address lasts last before they switch to another IP address.   Usually ISPs try to ensure any IP change occurs when it don't sense any activity from your connection, the middle of the night...the dark am hours of the night...but they can still occur anytime during the 24 hour period.  The switch is transparent to you unless you are connected to some site that will force a new logon when it senses an IP change like you are apparently experiencing.   

And if you are using some CCTV monitoring system that requires a Public IP then usually just using a free DDNS service will fix any problem caused by a changing IP.

Plus, more ISP are moving to using CGNAT (Carrier Grade NAT) due to the shortage of public IP address which effectively place another network between you and the internet which will require a person to use a DDNS for some connections.   AIS Fibre uses a CGNAT but they also provide a free DDNS service....maybe your ISP does to as a CGNAT can lower costs for the ISP.

Below webpage gives a layman's overview of dynamic and static IPs.

http://whatismyipaddress.com/dynamic-static

46 minutes ago, Pib said:

OP, 

The plan you have with your ISP uses a Dynamic IP (i.e., it changes periodically)....standard operating procedure with the great majority of internet plans. 

Now if you absolutely need an IP address that never changes, then you need to check to see if your ISP has "static" IP plans which usually cost about twice as much as a regular plan.  Few people need  a static IP plan...and that's why you don't see them advertised very much...more of business thing.

It will vary with your ISP as to how often your IP will change....could be once  day...could be several times a day....could be every 3 days...could be every week....could be (fill in this blank).  

I with AIS Fibre and from looking at a log of my IP changes going back about a two weeks, I've had three IP changes over that period....one IP lasted 3 days, another one lasted 3 days, and the third one lasted around 6 days. 

Yeap, with a dynamic IP system used  by ISPs, it's up to the IP how long the IP address lasts last before they switch to another IP address.   Usually ISPs try to ensure any IP change occurs when it don't sense any activity from your connection, the middle of the night...the dark am hours of the night...but they can still occur anytime during the 24 hour period.  The switch is transparent to you unless you are connected to some site that will force a new logon when it senses an IP change like you are apparently experiencing.   

And if you are using some CCTV monitoring system that requires a Public IP then usually just using a free DDNS service will fix any problem caused by a changing IP.

Plus, more ISP are moving to using CGNAT (Carrier Grade NAT) due to the shortage of public IP address which effectively place another network between you and the internet which will require a person to use a DDNS for some connections.   AIS Fibre uses a CGNAT but they also provide a free DDNS service....maybe your ISP does to as a CGNAT can lower costs for the ISP.

Below webpage gives a layman's overview of dynamic and static IPs.

http://whatismyipaddress.com/dynamic-static

Why would an ISP wait until its all quiet then switch you to a new IP from their pool. I am interested to know what the ISP will gain from this. Do IP addresses require a rest between activity.

The OP's is changing every 15 mins but we are not 100% whats between him and the Wan.

7 minutes ago, maxpower said:

Why would an ISP wait until its all quiet then switch you to a new IP from their pool.

Possibly to avoid any disconnects from sites that may disconnect when sensing an IP change/requiring a new logon.   

37 minutes ago, Pib said:

Assuming you mean why does an ISP change a customer's IP address every X-period of time.  Below is one explanation.

Capture.JPG.58ce6bc75a944e3c98638ee8a1eb4e0c.JPG

Most users today have "always on" connections, so I see no reason why any ISP would want to rotate its IP's other than at lease termination or through extreme lease timeout. The only exception would be during maintenance.

If I am active and request a lease extension on Wan, surely its much easier to just change the lease time value rather than issue a complete new lease.

If its to avoid abuse then they are 10 years off the timeline.

With TOT Fibre the connection is reset every 24 hours - precisely 24 hours after current connection was established.

It can be a nuisance for several reasons but I am able to get around the issue by setting a CRON job on the router to reboot every day at 3am. I also have a series of VPN routers that are similarly set to reboot at 2 minute increments after that.

So now my main router is resetting the connection approximately 45 seconds before TOT would have done it themselves. But at 3am it rarely affects me.

On 9/15/2017 at 5:43 AM, BuffaloRescue said:

my router connects directly with a lan cable that comes into my condo

I guess it would help if the OP could provide quite a few more details regarding his network configuration.

In theory, you should be terminating a fiber or VDSL connection rather than an ethernet connection. Can you share any details? Router make/model? Do you have service from an ISP, or from your condo's management company?

Is the IP lease exactly 15 minutes? How are you able to determine this? Can you determine if your ISP is using CGNAT? If so, you may have a private IP address on your side of the ISPs network, mapped to a public IP address on the network side of the ISPs network.

Without more detail it's all conjecture, maybe some network device in your path is having an issue (LOS, power, heat) and continually re-starting?

Maybe talk to someone else nearby who is using the same service? Or talk to the service provider, escalate to tech support.

On 15/09/2017 at 11:48 AM, maxpower said:

You have a standard wifi router for fibre and its connected via a Lan cable coming into the condo. That's confusing for a start.

Do you mean fibre to the building and Lan to your condo?

Just to be sure, its the Wan ip changing?

I guess its fiber to the building. I pay siinet directly and get 70mb quite consistently. But the internet cable coming into my router Is RJ45 plug on it. 

11 hours ago, BuffaloRescue said:

I guess its fiber to the building. I pay siinet directly and get 70mb quite consistently. But the internet cable coming into my router Is RJ45 plug on it. 

To expand on what mtls2005 and maxpower were questioning, is seems SiNet at least doing "media conversion" from Fiber Optic to Ethernet in the building for whatever reason.  

It's likely SiNet's fiber optic to the building is terminating in a router or concentrator on site before it continues on as an Ethernet Connection to you and other customers in the building. So the DHCP short 'lease time' misconfiguration could be in the local equipment SiNet has onsite (and not system wide). 

Can you access your router and see what IP address the WAN port is being configured for?

If it's in the public IP range then SiNet NOC is just being odd.  

But if it's in one of the private IP ranges (10.0.0.0 – 10.255.255.255, 100.64.0.0 – 100.127.255.255, 127.0.0.0 – 127.255.255.255, etc) then the media conversion may be through an on-site router in a communications closet that's misconfigured and giving you a short lease time. The SiNet technicians should be able to change that (for the better).