It's a wait and see game - smokers and drinkers will discover tax fate on Saturday

webfact

1 hour ago, Baerboxer said:

You forgot to mention the hordes of illegal economic migrants masquerading as refugees!

They are very easy to spot...they have dark black skin, hang around in cities/beaches and mostly sell something like hats or sunglasses...There's police or lifeguards everywhere so don't worry.

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, robblok said:

Yes it would, but excessive tax will backfire and result in lower tax income. I am not sure how stupid they are here but there must be some people who have heard of price elasticity of demand and studied commerce. So I would hope they are not going to shoot themselves in their foot. 

idle hope ...all they ever did was shooting in their feet,lol

they know the drill ....

1 hour ago, Techno Viking said:

I dont reckon expat bar owners stock their shelves with alcohol  purchased at Bic C.

Maybe not, but many bars selling 'red wine' pour it from boxes (I don't think I should name them, just in case) easily available at Big C, Tesco and the like and it's pretty cheap from those places. Could well buy it wholesale though. But that wasn't my point. 

6 hours ago, robblok said:

Yea if you tax things too much people will stop using them in the end and they will get less taxes

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Price_elasticity_of_demand

Spot on.  I owned a bar once with a friend of mine next to APAC university (for some reason we thought it would be a good idea to open a bar and it would be fun - go figure, live and learn) and the police were increasing our tea money every month to the point where I tried to use the same reasoning: I said to the officer who usually came to collect once a month at one point that if they kept increasing the rate we would go out of business and no one (including his police chief) would get anything.  To this he just shrugged his shoulders and told me he was only carrying out the chief's wishes.... long story short, we went out of business because the bribes were crippling us.  It was all so stupid. If he'd kept his avarice in check, he'd have continued getting a monthly back-hander from us indefinitely. But no. Logic didn't win the day on that one!

Edited by stephen tracy

22 minutes ago, Techno Viking said:

brew-by-me.com seems to have all I need to set-up a keg system.

I'm surprised, I'm pretty sure that brewing for personal consumption is illegal in Thailand.  Also, from what I can tell from the prices, home-brewing won't be cheap. 

You also will have to deal with the issue that you will need a cool (for ale) or cold (for lager) place to let the wort ferment for a few weeks.  There are also water quality issues, space requirements, etc.  Home-brewing isn't a realistic option for a lot of people.

The people in respective departments for tax increase over tobacco and alcohol must have shares in smuggled goods. 

I can't see any other reason as moonshine, smuggled alcohol and tobacco is already flooding in to Thailand and have been for many years. 

Smuggled shit booze from Laos costs nothing and there's moonshine, Lao Kao that Thai people drink. 

Last time I bought Lao Kao for my neighbour, a bottle of Lao Kao cost me 29 THB. 

This hike is targeted towards "rich" farangs, not the regular Thai Joe.

Or they have another sinister goal, eradicate Western tourists from Thailand, everyone knows (I assume) that the majority of Chinese don't spend any money on alcoholic beverages. I do wonder how the Russians will react though?

Next they will tax the ladies of the night? Special female tax.

Edited by KamalaRider

7 minutes ago, heybruce said:

I'm surprised, I'm pretty sure that brewing for personal consumption is illegal in Thailand.  Also, from what I can tell from the prices, home-brewing won't be cheap. 

You also will have to deal with the issue that you will need a cool (for ale) or cold (for lager) place to let the wort ferment for a few weeks.  There are also water quality issues, space requirements, etc.  Home-brewing isn't a realistic option for a lot of people.

Don't say that, a friend of mine is working in UAE and he's brewing beer. Hike the prices enough or stop the influx, the result is clear, smuggled booze and tobacco or self made.

5 minutes ago, heybruce said:

Meh, setting up wont be cheap but for fridges (for fermenting) and freezers ( for the kegs) I have both and are easily converted for the task.

5 hours ago, robblok said:

Never said the subs were a good Idea I am against them, but the put the blame of this tax increase on the subs is crazy. They are peanuts compared to the losses fromt he rice program and the extra cost the health program has. Thailand has a small tax base.. and too many costs (should cut military spending for sure). 

Never think they don't know what their doing after showing everybody how wrong they were thinking the subs were a bad idea and then buying that big balloon to keep them floating. 

Excellent!!...Depending on how scammish the new prices could be, the visa runs now would make sense to do some good booze/tobacco shopping abroad.

The neighbouring Vietnam and Cambodia are not as stupid and greedy....trans border tax free shopping will boom and it will be all to the loss of the greedy Thai Taxman!

6 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

Excellent!!...Depending on how scammish the new prices could be, the visa runs now would make sense to do some good booze/tobacco shopping abroad.

The neighbouring Vietnam and Cambodia are not as stupid and greedy....trans border tax free shopping will boom and it will be all to the loss of the greedy Thai Taxman!

I see import tax looming if that happens.

Surprised we have not seen any leaked figures as yet, but then again, maybe they are still working on them and we might get lucky and it might end up the same way as the ban of people travelling in the back of pick ups due to start somewhere over the rainbow.

2 minutes ago, nong38 said:

I see import tax looming if that happens.

Surprised we have not seen any leaked figures as yet, but then again, maybe they are still working on them and we might get lucky and it might end up the same way as the ban of people travelling in the back of pick ups due to start somewhere over the rainbow.

But what if the same rules and quotas apply as per what Thai duty free allows currently? I see no tax in that case.

57 minutes ago, heybruce said:

To brew for own consumption is no problem and all ingredients and equipment is available mail order in Thailand. Any refrigerator can be set to fermentation temperatures using an override thermostat, my second hand wine fridge does a great job! Water is delivered at home in 19 liter bottles, perfect for brewing, remember beer is a trick to make undrinkable water drinkable, so you can even use tapwater. Cost price can be as low as 40 Baht per liter and you don't need a lot of space, 2 burners and the fridge and some box to keep your grains etc. Almost forget to mention after a little bit of practice you'll never want to buy beer anymore!

Edited by recycler

If the price of beer and 'normal' whisky e.g. Hong Thong that the Thais drink then there is a chance it will push the Thais to the cheaper alternative drink - that killer white whiskey. At least two members of my Thai wife's family has died from drinking the stuff.

Similarly with cigarettes, more people may turn to rolling their own which will be stronger and more damaging than proprietory brands.

The end result could be a reduction in Thai health not an improvement.

Where are the studies by the Authorities assessing the above mentioned risks?

Yes it would, but excessive tax will backfire and result in lower tax income. I am not sure how stupid they are here but there must be some people who have heard of price elasticity of demand and studied commerce. So I would hope they are not going to shoot themselves in their foot. 

However, alcohol and especially tobacco actually have inelastic demand attributes. Net tax revenue will increase.

Same old tactic. Announce staggering taxes on "whatever". Wait for business reaction, then add public reaction, blend opinions, stir gently with humor and agree that this "test" was a great success, and will be implemented "soon". That  is, it won't happen. The backlash will damage the govt's standing, which is not astronomical right now.  

Note the story today on the misuse of military funds of the failed blimp. And now the govt wants to punish drinkers & smokers?

Won't happen or will be rescinded  "on consideration of Thai sensibilities."

All I can say is Vietnam [emoji1264] and Cambodia [emoji1061] better start building bigger airports as they will have a massive increase in tourism. Thailand doesn't seem to want visitors any more . Thais don't drink beer wine and spirits. They drink there own brew , which is cheaper than water , and sends them crazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

7 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

" But wine - according to the poster at least - was set to be hit hardest. From a tax of 225 the new rate was now set to be 1,400 baht."

Morons. This can't be possible, or if it is, there will be a huge backlash from hotel and restaurant associations. 

What backlash do you expect to affect the government. It's not as if they can be voted out of power in an election, is it.

Edited by Bangkok Barry

Pile as much taxes on to the price of cigarettes as they want and hopefully a lot less people will die. The only way to stop people from killing themselves and others with their second hand smoke is to make it economically painful to continue with this horrible habit. As for small increase in the price of alcohol, BFD, if you are penny pinching just make small changes in other areas and continue on. Or, instead of your Tiger, Carlsburg, Beer Lao, Corona, etc. lower your bloody standards and drink Archa. You can actually drink less and feel just as bad in the morning with Archa and you have outwitted the increase in price.

Did someone stub a cigarette but out on you ???

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

30 minutes ago, jerojero said:

However, alcohol and especially tobacco actually have inelastic demand attributes. Net tax revenue will increase.

I don't agree 100% but your right that they do differ from other products. I am not sure if net revenue will increase.. it really depends on how high the increase is.