Alcohol Tax, any facts yet??

moonseeker

What ever the hike for ciggies I'm sure it won't come anywhere close to the price of smokes in Australia, $24 for a packet of 20 and $37 for packets of 30. How low income earners manage a packet a day habit is beyond me.

Facts are I bought a case of Heineken today (Sept 16th) for 935 baht at Supamitr, the lady told me tomorrow 1700 baht. Maybe time to move to Vietnam or Cambodia, just a thought. Thailand's going to price themselves right out of the market--and not just alcohol, been going this way for quite a few years now.

An extract from the Bangkok post has been removed as they do not allow it to be reproduced on here. Sorry guys :sad:

26) The Bangkok Post and Phuketwan do not allow quotes from their news articles or other material to appear on Thaivisa.com. Neither do they allow links to their publications. Posts from members containing quotes from or links to Bangkok Post or Phuketwan publications will be deleted from the forum.

13 hours ago, ross163103 said:

Facts are I bought a case of Heineken today (Sept 16th) for 935 baht at Supamitr, the lady told me tomorrow 1700 baht. Maybe time to move to Vietnam or Cambodia, just a thought. Thailand's going to price themselves right out of the market--and not just alcohol, been going this way for quite a few years now.

And sales will drop to next to zero, and then what? Distributors out of work, less beer made so brewers need less or no staff, two of the biggest companies owned by some of the (until now) richest men in Thailand reduced to selling soda water, world headlines that Thailand more than doubles the price of alcohol in one go, investors see a government panicking because the national bank account is emptying. Only Thais, and probably not even them, will believe it's all done for health reasons, especially as many would now only be able to afford the gut-rot.

As  of Sat evening, no price changes. From the Nation, prices will rise only a little:

"The tax on a can of beer will be Bt0.50 higher, and for bottles of beer it will be Bt2.66 more. For higher-priced beer, the tax will decrease by between Bt0.99 and Bt2.

White spirit will be taxed more |by Bt0.84 to Bt3.49 per bottle. For other kinds of locally produced |spirit, the additional tax will be |Bt8 per bottle for drinks with 28 per cent alcohol content and Bt30 for drinks with 40 per cent alcohol content.

The tax on other imported spirits, such as Johnnie Walker Red and Blue Label Scotch whisky, will be a little less, from Bt3 to Bt26 depending on alcohol content. The variance is due to a tax hike on higher alcohol content."

Hardly any reason to jump ship, considering the other, unique aspects of Smile Central. I'll be staying.

7 minutes ago, LennyW said:

Bought 10 cases of San Mig light (24 bottles) from the wholesaler last night, only up 10 baht a case so i wont even bother passing that increase on to my customers! 

Right. Looks like much ado about nothing. After 30 yrs here, I know the drill. Announce huge increase in tax, wait for business comments, then wait for public comments, then announce a much reduced tax. Govt looks responsive. Everyone happy.

Edited by JackGarbo

38 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

The Bangkok Post lays it out nicely.  But no links here.

And that says the price of a can of beer will increase by a massive 50 satang and a bottle by 2.66 baht. So another poster quoting someone who sells beer (#8) that the price would nearly double was talking out of her hat. Or she knows more than the BP.

7 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

And that says the price of a can of beer will increase by a massive 50 satang and a bottle by 2.66 baht. So another poster quoting someone who sells beer (#8) that the price would nearly double was talking out of her hat. Or she knows more than the BP.

I think we'll just have to wait and see!  I've heard different scenarios from different people, all who are "in the know"!

TiT!

:sad:

The same drill as always- wait until the last minute to announce it and then everyone wanders about getting the wrong answers. Both the BP and Nation have exactly the same price increases and the same source for their information which is the Excise Tax Department so I am inclined to believe them.  Since the tax is  confusing- I am going to watch out for some price gouging in various outlets , stores or bars. I would have to believe places like 7/ll; Tesco and the big retailers will be providing a correct price as they don't want to lose customers who are mostly Thai.

It looks like a small increase adding more tax to the "tourist or Farang" drinks.

The killer Lao Khao has largely been spared again which the very strong alcohol lobby here

& health officials will not be happy about due to its rough alcohol spirit damaging the  liver

killing thousands of Thais every year.

Locally produced wine has been spared.

Cigarettes are still 60% less tax than Singapore, OZ or NZ

On 9/16/2017 at 4:56 PM, ross163103 said:

Facts are I bought a case of Heineken today (Sept 16th) for 935 baht at Supamitr, the lady told me tomorrow 1700 baht.

BS !  Stop spreading lies. 

On 9/16/2017 at 12:42 PM, giddyup said:

What ever the hike for ciggies I'm sure it won't come anywhere close to the price of smokes in Australia, $24 for a packet of 20 and $37 for packets of 30. How low income earners manage a packet a day habit is beyond me.

The idea is to prevent people from smoking or at least slow them down because they can't afford it. It does work. 

On 9/16/2017 at 4:56 PM, ross163103 said:

Or you could just do your liver a favour and drink less. Moving countries to save on alcohol is rather extreme.

5 hours ago, tropo said:

Or you could just do your liver a favour and drink less. Moving countries to save on alcohol is rather extreme.

The new prices will also include higher profit margins that the retailers are including. 

Depending on how much people drink, the extra cost would be about 1 Euro a day or less.