Sharp tax hike on alcohol and tobacco effective immediately

rooster59

• Replies 712
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just an observation but when talking about the world possibly being blown to hell and gone by nukes we get about 3 or 4 pages but talk about booze and fags and we get 17 of more.   Says a lot about the demographic of expats in Thailand.:cheesy::burp::stoner:

13 minutes ago, Frotting said:

Now 17:15 and I just went to the local mom and pop shop in the moobaan.  The price now for a bottle of <deleted> LEO beer is 108 baht, same for CHANG.  Heineken is kind of weird as they are charging the same price of 108 baht.  Yesterday LEO was 48 baht, and CHANG about the same, Heineken 75 baht (all for large bottles).  For the LEO alone, by my calculations is an overnight increase of 125%.

looking as this thing unfolds your mom and pop store seems to have got their sums wrong, or there is a massive error in how this is being rolled out, average price increase for can of beer 0.5 baht....bottle 2.66baht

I am not sure but is this tax not on alcohol content? So beer at approx 5% in let's assume a 620ml bottle would attract the per litre tax at .03% of the rate. The old figures posted referred to 'pure alcohol' - I am assuming this is the same? Wine is roughly 13% alcohol/volume. Same should apply. But...... assuming anything there is fraught.

24 minutes ago, ukrules said:

When they announced the 5 Baht tax increase on a pack of cigarettes the last time they did this the price of Marlboro red increased from 95 Baht to 125 Baht.

I wonder how much it will go up by this time.

5 hours ago, Andrew65 said:

Saw some Marlboro Reds in 7-11 this morning priced at 165 Baht.

one poster before said Marloro Red today in is 7-11 was priced at 165 Thb

One post and a reply have been removed please see the following extract from the forum rules:

26) The Bangkok Post and Phuketwan do not allow quotes from their news articles or other material to appear on Thaivisa.com. Neither do they allow links to their publications. Posts from members containing quotes from or links to Bangkok Post or Phuketwan publications will be deleted from the forum.

38 minutes ago, car720 said:

Just an observation but when talking about the world possibly being blown to hell and gone by nukes we get about 3 or 4 pages but talk about booze and fags and we get 17 of more.   Says a lot about the demographic of expats in Thailand.:cheesy::burp::stoner:

Well, at least that portion of the larger demographic that are TV members and who tend to devote much of their time to railing against everything.

I find it amusing that whenever liquor sales are banned for a day or two (in theory anyway), coping with that proves to be too challenging for many long-term residents and now there are more predictions that tourism will cease to exist and that all of this is a preamble to a formal take over of Thailand by China.

...but when talking about the world possibly being blown to hell and gone ...

That is what they're responding to in this thread. Their world is just a great deal smaller than it is for most of us and  is far less complicated but appears to be under threat by a conspiracy beyond their ken.

Edited by Suradit69

2 hours ago, KMA said:

I am in czech rep right now and a great glass of Czech pilsner is around 20BHT!! A glass of wine is about 25BHT. Thais have once again put another nail in the tourist coffin. No one from the west wants to pay 5X more for <deleted> thai lager beer! Idiotic

Come January, I will be quite happy to be drinking expensive s**t beer in Thailand where it's 31C, while you're drinking delicious cheap Czech beer in Prague and it's -15C outside. I know what you mean, but that doesn't come close to being a good trade-off!:shock1::smile:

1 hour ago, Frotting said:

The price now for a bottle of <deleted> LEO beer is 108 baht, same for CHANG.

For the LEO alone, by my calculations is an overnight increase of 125%.

You should change the shop .. or drink not so much :-)

I seen the rates in the BKK post (not sure if they are named here already) But I don't think they are that high. 

Some things even got cheaper like high priced beer. 

I typed it myself to prevent problems with the BKK post so apologies for mistakes.

01tax.JPG

Edited by robblok

4 minutes ago, robblok said:

I seen the rates in the BKK post (not sure if they are named here already) But I don't think they are that high. 

Some things even got cheaper like high priced beer. 

I typed it myself to prevent problems with the BKK post so apologies for mistakes.

01tax.JPG

Thanks for posting. Let's see what happens in the shops, however...

Amazing, 4 different shops asking for 3 prices (new). 4 different answers and explanations. What I could see that BIG C went from 890.-- to 969.-- for Montclair 5 L, that is all I can confirm so far.

Wholesalers told me, just sell bottle for 10 Baht more, should be enough, but we don't know yet...55555555 Wait & see.....MS>

Just now, baboon said:

Thanks for posting. Let's see what happens in the shops, however...

True... i mean.. this is just what a newspaper says..but if these are the amounts.. (except for cigarettes) the increase is not that high and my Hoegaarden (if I ever drink it) might get cheaper (tough i doubt it that they will calculate cost decreases too .. more profit for the supermarkets.