Sharp tax hike on alcohol and tobacco effective immediately

rooster59

1 minute ago, Montnoveau said:

They are looking for quality tourists and not drunken trash. It is as simple as that.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

What a ridiculous comment. It's just daylight robbery like there 300% import tax. A new PM should do the trick.

Secondly Thailand has only bars girls and not a great deal more to offer. The Chinese won't last long. To much bad media 

• Replies 712
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 9/16/2017 at 10:46 AM, maeab101 said:

This is good news for Thailand.

You are a funny man. Robbing the public for bad management of government spending is not good news. You should ask the people for there verdict lol. 

Good news is a election 

They raised the prices when they first took control and promised happiness to the people. 

This is just daylight robbery due to a amature. Hit and miss style government. Not even 10% would vote for this stand in so called government. First they drove out white faring with stupid VISA requirements and now extortion style taxes on personal selections. Just mamsans in uniform. And they won't last long. 

17 minutes ago, bannork said:

Some of the this info came from a translated article from news Sanook which was printed on Thai Visa on Friday-

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/1002318-its-a-wait-and-see-game-smokers-and-drinkers-will-discover-tax-fate-on-saturday/?page=1

The news about the increase for retailers came from  a Bangkok Post opinion article last Friday.

Oh.  Really trusted sources then.  The article you referred to quoted 40 baht on cigarettes and beer going from 41 baht to 78 baht!

Very believable ....... not!

2 minutes ago, HHTel said:

Oh.  Really trusted sources then.  The article you referred to quoted 40 baht on cigarettes and beer going from 41 baht to 78 baht!

Very believable ....... not!

I hope you are right but Post today quoted the same prices for licences saying it will drive small retailers out of the market. The only glimmer of hope I read was that the 50,000 baht was a ceiling.

https://www.posttoday.com/biz/news/514919

It remains anyone's guess how much money in millions of Baht the local whisky mafia poured into the greenies. The alcohol taxation makes absolutely no sense considering, that wines and beers are a part of the caucasian dining culture.

If Europe would be run by similar idiots one would have to vote for an increase of EUR 3 for a bottle of fish sauce while the Sriracha sauce could reach an increase of UKP 4.
Both non-alcoholic but a part of the Thai dining culture .........

Decreasing the local fruit wines (Siam Winery must be celebrating)  ........... go figure! 

3 hours ago, Bastos60 said:

Only if it is imported.
Like all Ambev beers that are imported have far higher taxes applied to them including import tax. Those will lower by a few baht. But you will hardly notice it as the import tax is already 100 Baht a bottle. At 63 Baht your Federbrau has no import tax applied so I assume locally bottled. No less tax for you my dear friend.

Yes that makes sense .Federbrau brewed and bottled in Thailand to the German purity laws .

Edited by anto

5 hours ago, LatPhrao said:

There are two or three large Thai companies that import wine in bulk from Europe or South America, finish the wine in Thailand and bottle it under their label

I think you will find that they import the grape juice then add "fruit juice/whatever" here then ferment it........thereby the wine is "produced" in Thailand (Mont Clair, Mar Y Sol, Finca de Malpica etc)........that's why it is so cheap, and will probably get even cheaper now?

1 hour ago, Montnoveau said:

They are looking for quality tourists and not drunken trash. It is as simple as that.

Interesting comment..........so all of those folk who like a beer or two, or a nice wine with their meal are not quality tourists?? 

I used to like a glass of red "vino collapso" with my supper when I lived in the UK.
I haven't bothered at all with wine here. What is the score with this "Mont Clair" stuff, is it drinkable?

As I and 2 other members just wrote today, the retail price of beer cans have not changed (Retails Shops: 7-eleven, mini Marts + Online: Tesco, Tops, Big C).
Sangsom bottle also still at the same price.

But... bottle's beer +2 bahts & L&M cigarettes +1 baht

no

Sent from my SM-G950F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

8 hours ago, abrahamzvi said:

Let's take the Scandinavian countries as an example. Luxuries, particularly damaging luxuries like cigarettes and alcohol, are extremely expensive (tax) and essentials like bread, eggs etc, are cheap.

Yesterday's prices in Norway

One loaf of bread 96 B (23 NOK on special offer) 

12 eggs (1 package) 176 B (42 NOK)

1 pckg 20 cigarettes 475 B

Alcohol I have no idea,

My point is that everything, absolutely everything, is expensive in Scandinavia (VAT 25% and rising)

Edited by Jonah Tenner

7 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

More unbelievably inane policy, from a government who's sheer incompetence boggles the imagination. Raise the taxes on wine, even more. They already have the highest wine taxes on the planet. 

What do incompetent politicians do, when they have a massive shortfall in revenue, and they have utterly drained the coffers, on really, really bad policy decisions? They raise taxes. It is the least creative thing any politician can do. It is also usually the least intelligent decision. Who expects any more from the little guy, and his band of nincompoops? 

There are countless things the government could be doing, if they wanted to attract the high quality tourists. The very first thing would be to repeal the anti fareng wine bill, that was passed by a few very corrupt senators way back when, to protect an anemic, fabulously low quality local wine industry. They are losing billions of dollars a year in revenue, that would be had from a 100% wine duty, instead of 460%. The five star hotels would have major wine events, and the entire industry would flourish here. But again, the lack of vision, combined with a naive, surly, silly, churlish, and ignorant sense of nationalism, bites the country in the butt. And again, who is the loser? The Thai people. 

Wine taxes should be lowered significantly. Import duties should be lowered to 70-100%. It would boost revenue. There are many Thais that are doing well, and love good wine. But, they are discouraged from drinking it, as the quality to price ration does not make any sense, for those of us who love good wine. If creative policy was implemented, not as many would cheat on the invoicing, and the wine industry would be encouraged to expand and thrive. As a result, the government would collect additional billions. But, that would require some vision, and progressive thinking. Something this administration does not possess. 

It is a real shame, as I find most Thai people to be quite lovely, friendly, warm, helpful and fun to be around. I am sure many feel the same way. But, unfortunately they are cursed with a government that is incompetent, myopic, non-visionary, indifferent, and reckless beyond imagination.

Little P. and the TAT. Leading Thailand backwards at an astonishing and alarming pace.

Governments all over do the same, they overtax everything - except their minds...

1 hour ago, The manic said:

Drinking beer in many bars in Soi 4 is nearly 7 quid a pint.

What?  Around 300+ a bottle!  They certainly saw you coming.  My local bar/restaurant has increased (for new stock) from 75 baht to 80 baht for a large bottle.  Beware the profiteers!!!

Edited by HHTel
Correction

Just now, HHTel said:

What?  Around 250+ a bottle!  They certainly saw you coming.  My local bar/restaurant has increased (for new stock) from 75 baht to 80 baht for a large bottle.  Beware the profiteers!!!

No. 150 a bottle or more in Big Dogs for local beer for example...At 44 baht to the pound that makes a pint around 6 pounds or more. Some imported beers are more expensive.

1 hour ago, grollies said:

I don't think I've ever paid £7 a pint, anywhere. You must be loaded or have a decent expense account.

150 to 170 for a small bottle in Big Dogs for example...So about 6 to 7 pounds a pint. I would never ever, under any circumstances drink draft beer in Thailand.