Sharp tax hike on alcohol and tobacco effective immediately

rooster59

1 hour ago, sturdyd said:

Just today I bought a pack of L&M Blue and was stunned to see the price had gone up 25 baht. At the risk of inviting lots of anti-smoking posts, I'd like to ask what brands others are smoking. On my first visit to Thailand many years ago there was a brand I liked named "More". I don't know if they're still available since the cigarette displays are all obscured. What I'm asking is what are some good brands of cigarette available here?

interesting, I dropped in my local mom and pop store today to buy a sleeve of L&M blue and price was the same. I asked when price is going up and she said maybe next year.

• Replies 712
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

54 minutes ago, Techno Viking said:

interesting, I dropped in my local mom and pop store today to buy a sleeve of L&M blue and price was the same. I asked when price is going up and she said maybe next year.

I was at a 7-11 in Sena. I haven't tried other stores yet.

9 minutes ago, tomta said:

LM Daeng up from 87 to 99 baht at the 7 today. 5 litre Mont Clair unchanged as of a few days ago at Tesco at 969 baht. Old stock I guess

Time to stop smoking and switch from wine to Lao Khao. I understand that this tax change has been advertised as a measure to improve public health. One of them should work for me.

On 9/26/2017 at 5:36 PM, tomta said:

LM Daeng up from 87 to 99 baht at the 7 today. 5 litre Mont Clair unchanged as of a few days ago at Tesco at 969 baht. Old stock I guess

Interesting. After a chat with my local 'kaai song' (small Thai / Chinese wholesaler) today they told me a carton of LM Daeng was soon going to increase by 99B. I was still charged the usual 820B but if 99B is the new retail price then a carton will increase to 940B!

Also, I bought my usual 3L box of Bodega last Sunday at Makro & the price had increased from 599B to 689B.

On 26/09/2017 at 3:31 PM, sturdyd said:

Just today I bought a pack of L&M Blue and was stunned to see the price had gone up 25 baht. At the risk of inviting lots of anti-smoking posts, I'd like to ask what brands others are smoking. On my first visit to Thailand many years ago there was a brand I liked named "More". I don't know if they're still available since the cigarette displays are all obscured. What I'm asking is what are some good brands of cigarette available here?

Give up.

5 hours ago, marino28 said:

no price change yet regarding beer but the price of cigarettes has changed.

L&m red from 87 thb to 99 thb

marlboro from 120 to 145

I was out with a friend Tonight.. after the movie she suggested a few beers..the bar on beach road, I think 5 star bar or something.. tiger bottle 85 baht.. singha 75 baht..

3 hours ago, speedtripler said:

Small bottles or large? 

Normal size, I guess 12oz...my knowledge of bar prices is limited.. I've been to walking street 2 times in the 6 months I've been here. Only went in one bar..as far as other bars..a few here and there..I don't drink more than 2.. stomach surgery..

5 hours ago, peperobi said:

I just come back from Tesco where I buy 6 can Archa beer for 23 Baht each, 6 Baht less than before.

23thb  Cans of archa lol

Are things really that bad? 

Post up a bitcoin address and we can donate you a few shakels to have a proper drink lol

On 9/22/2017 at 8:16 PM, Pib said:

I just wonder if they had so much stock in the warehouse under the old excise rate that they are still selling that stock so price have not changed.

Not until they deplete that stock and start selling new stock procured under the new excise rate that the price would possibly change.

In an earlier post I said a case of Leo beer big bottles at the Lotus I use was Bt588 before the new rate and a few days after the new rate the price was Bt584...went down 4 baht.  However I noticed a few days later that their stock of beer on the store shelves was really low or Leo and Chang cases....I mean like I had never seen it this low....almost out of stock...no normal at all for this Lotus store....but the price was still Bt584 for a Leo case. 

Now I haven't been back to since to see if they have restocked and check the latest prices....maybe I'll go tomorrow out of curiosity .

On Friday I was in our local Makro and Tesco Lotus.  Leo big bottles were still 584 Baht. Macro had boxes dated August and Tesco had boxes dated 09/09/2017.

I was in Makro today and the price has increased to 614 Baht. Still the same date on boxes as Friday.

A 30 Baht increase and this works out at 2.5 baht per bottle or approximately 0.05%  percent increase per box

5 minutes ago, ripstanley said:

On Friday I was in our local Makro and Tesco Lotus.  Leo big bottles were still 584 Baht. Macro had boxes dated August and Tesco had boxes dated 09/09/2017.

I was in Makro today and the price has increased to 614 Baht. Still the same date on boxes as Friday.

A 30 Baht increase and this works out at 2.5 baht per bottle or approximately 0.05%  percent increase per box

30/584 is a 5.13% increase ... just sayin

12 minutes ago, ripstanley said:

I was into Makro today and the price has increased to 614 Baht. Still the same date on boxes as Friday.

As of yesterday (7Oct) the Lotus store I use here in western Bangkok a case of large Leo bottles was still Bt584.   I've been expecting it would go up....and since you are seeing Bt614 in both Makro and Lotus I will not be surprised on my next visit to my Lotus store (probably on 9 or 10 Oct) that the price will be Bt614.   I'll report back what I find.

Just now, Pib said:

As of yesterday (7Oct) the Lotus store I use here in western Bangkok a case of large Leo bottles was still Bt584.   I've been expecting it would go up....and since you are seeing Bt614 in both Makro and Lotus I will not be surprised on my next visit to my Lotus store (probably on 9 or 10 Oct) that the price will be Bt614.   I'll report back what I find.

I did not check Tesco today. Cannot say if they increased or remained the same.

1 hour ago, ripstanley said:

I did not check Tesco today. Cannot say if they increased or remained the same.

Have just returned from Tesco Lotus (Phuket) and although I never checked the prices of the beers (as I rarely drink it) I can tell you that the beer shelves were 50% empty and one Thai guy was struggling through the check out with two shopping trolleys absolutely full of cans of Leo and boxes of the stuff piled high! .......expecting a price increase shortly?

However I did check the price of the wines and they hadn't increased!........yet!