New tax rates to earn extra 12 billion baht to state coffer

rooster59

drink1.jpg

The Excise Department says the new tax rates effective today (Sept 16) will raise prices of unhealthy foods and drinks, while generating 12 billion baht more on taxes from them annually.

Director-general of the Excise Department Mr Somchai Poolsavasdi said the new tax rates will bring about 2% tax burden on business operators from the tax rates they previously paid.

This amounted to 12 billion baht more on tax revenues based on retail prices earned yearly by the department, he said.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/new-tax-rates-earn-extra-12-billion-baht-state-coffer/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-09-16

42 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

Director-general of the Excise Department Mr Somchai Poolsavasdi said the new tax rates will bring about 2% tax burden on business operators from the tax rates they previously paid.

I think the consumer doesn't really give a shit what the extra minimal costs are to the company. The consumer cares about price rises a hell of a lot more than 2%!

And the customer is always supposed to be right, Yeah?

45 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

New tax rates to earn extra 12 billion baht to state coffers

This is Mickey Mouse money when compared to the budget deficit. Last year the deficit was 390 billion baht. This year is predicted to be about the same.

Think about the future and what the military economic gurus have planned.

Submarines

Fighter/bomber aircraft

Naval rocketry

Artillery

Armoured personnel carriers

Tanks

High speed trains criss-crossing the country

Low speed dual track trains.

Tunnels highways under just about every hill in major cities outside BKK.

18 billion from booze is almost nought compared to what will be spent on military big ego ideas.

Thailand is heading toward bankruptcy. Sooner it happens the better as it might help clean the place out dreamers like the military with it's thousands of freeloading Generals.

A joke
new tax rates effective today (Sept 16)
One reads 1000 different prizes, no one knows how to calculate this correct, the funny price game here.
The worst organized tax increase I've ever experienced in my life.

This has nothing to do with a properly announced, properly organized and properly communicated tax increase.
This is the circus of disability.

9 hours ago, tomacht8 said:

A joke
One reads 1000 different prizes, no one knows how to calculate this correct, the funny price game here.

This has nothing to do with a properly announced, properly organized and properly communicated tax increase.

The military government is infamous for making a stuff-up of just about everything they touch. It has become their trade mark. Primary school children would have better organisation skills than these generals.

They can't even take money out of the pockets of drinkers and smokers without making a complete mess of the tax system.

Shades of the military management fiasco with immigrant workers.

Edited by Cadbury

The usual headline about how much money the government is making from fleecing the pockets of the population.  Why can't they just keep their mouths shut!  The Thais must be getting really p***ed off with seeing all this money being made, with nothing to show for it except submarines, patrol boats, and all the other useless purchases, when the education system is a waste of time, the healthcare system is a joke, the retirement benefits aren't worth having, and the daily wage rate is somewhere around 300 baht giving an unskilled worker about 6-8000 Baht a month to feed and clothe a family.

While the rich get richer and the poorer get poorer, the only consideration that the government gives a hoot about, apart from buying all the toys, is attracting more tourists.  They'll have to think again when the tourists finally get the message that there are much better places to spend there holiday money.

Looking at Thailand from the outside, it doesn't seem to be so inviting as it was, for tourists and expats.

The counting of one's chickens before they hatch.  Such presumptuous gum flapping is to be expected. 

Fact is drinking in Thailand is not fun.  It has been overpriced for a long while compared to its neighbors or even China, Hong Kong or Taiwan. 

Given disdain for such increases, imagine the consumption of alcohol may not stay the same. 

15 hours ago, tomacht8 said:

A joke

You are saying your country's tax rules are utterly open and understandable, logic and honest?

Don't think so.

More ignorance. Is the other side of the equation ever even considered here? Who creates these projections? What do they take into account?

More unbelievably inane policy, from a government who's sheer incompetence boggles the imagination. Raise the taxes on wine, even more. They already have the highest wine taxes on the planet. 

What do incompetent politicians do, when they have a massive shortfall in revenue, and they have utterly drained the coffers, on really, really bad policy decisions? They raise taxes. It is the least creative thing any politician can do. It is also usually the least intelligent decision. Who expects any more from the little guy, and his band of nincompoops? 

There are countless things the government could be doing, if they wanted to attract the high quality tourists. The very first thing would be to repeal the anti fareng wine bill, that was passed by a few very corrupt senators way back when, to protect an anemic, fabulously low quality local wine industry. They are losing billions of dollars a year in revenue, that would be had from a 100% wine duty, instead of 460%. The five star hotels would have major wine events, and the entire industry would flourish here. But again, the lack of vision, combined with a naive, surly, silly, churlish, and ignorant sense of nationalism, bites the country in the butt. And again, who is the loser? The Thai people. 

Wine taxes should be lowered significantly. Import duties should be lowered to 70-100%. It would boost revenue. There are many Thais that are doing well, and love good wine. But, they are discouraged from drinking it, as the quality to price ration does not make any sense, for those of us who love good wine. If creative policy was implemented, not as many would cheat on the invoicing, and the wine industry would be encouraged to expand and thrive. As a result, the government would collect additional billions. But, that would require some vision, and progressive thinking. Something this administration does not possess. 

It is a real shame, as I find most Thai people to be quite lovely, friendly, warm, helpful and fun to be around. I am sure many feel the same way. But, unfortunately they are cursed with a government that is incompetent, myopic, non-visionary, indifferent, and reckless beyond imagination.

Little P. and the TAT. Leading Thailand backwards at an astonishing and alarming pace.

Not long ago, while visiting a restaurant on Samui, called Dr. Frogs, I noticed a little sign on the table. We are proud to offer our new house wine. Yellow Tail cabernet. Only 1,499 baht, per bottle. I had just returned from the US, and the markets were absolutely flooded with this swill, at $3.99 a bottle. That is about 135 baht! So, yes I agree with you. Why drink absolute junk, for inflated prices? 

Yellow Tail is the best selling imported wine in the United States. Yellow Tail accounted for 11 percent of all U.S. imports in 2005. This one wine brand represents about 8 percent of all Australian wine production and 15 percent of that country’s total wine exports. Yellow Tail sells more wine in the U.S. than all French producers combined. And that say alot about the average American wine palate.  

Again, the government misses the mark, and does not have the vision, nor the courage to undo an injustice, perpetrated by very corrupt senators, who sabotaged the Thai economy, in a feeble effort to protect a few unbelievably inferior local wine producers. Instead, goes what their solution is? Raise taxes even more, to compound the import taxes already in place. Who came up with this policy? How was it approved? Who are these people? Why are they allowed to continue their reign of economic destruction?

Also, this is in direct contravention to the ASEAN charter that Thailand signed, and is a party to, that allows the distribution, importation, and export of all alcoholic beverages between all ASEAN members, duty free. When is the last time you saw a bottle of Saigon beer, 33 beer (both Vietnamese beers), Hitachino Nest white ale, India pale ale (both from Cambodia), or Bintang beer (Indonesian) on the supermarket shelves? Beer Laos, if you are lucky enough. I can understand why the giant Thai beer companies would do everything in their power to squash the implementation of this law. Their product is way, way inferior, to that of their neighbors. But, the government has a responsibility to follow through with laws they are a party to. Even if that means saying no to massive hand outs.

Edited by spidermike007

Does anybody have an opinion on where Thailand is going? Backward or Forward  My guess would be Backward at a rate of knots .But notice the deputy P.M.and his 150 hangers on  including 50 Generals are in London looking at new toys for war show. Already spending the money they are going to collect from new tax hikes Silly Thai people thought it was going to be used for improving there lives  WRONG AGAIN

2 hours ago, IAMHERE said:

Spend your money on tattoo's ; you can take them with you.

Now that's funny, I had two put on my arms when I was 14, suffice to say 40 years later, I have been getting rid of them through laser treatment, 3 years later and about $3,500, when they originally cost me $40 for both 555