Only Fools and Horses star reveals heartbreak as Thai wife banned from the UK

rooster59

2 minutes ago, rwdrwdrwd said:

There was nothing stopping them from doing it whilst within the EU. As there was nothing stopping them introducing a minimum income rule (which was entirely home grown legislation and nothing to do with the EU)

Totally ridiculous that people blame everything they don't like on EU membership. Going to get quite a wake up call.

No matter what happens the brexiteers will find a way to blame it on the EU.

There is a very easy way around this and I am very surprised that no one has told him about it. It is all to do with his father and where he comes from.

Hopefully, if he is reading this post (not likely), he will look to his fathers side and find a very easy way to enter the British Isles with both wife and daughter. Good luck.

6 hours ago, Rc2702 said:

I don't get it. London cabbie does not meet minimum requirement of £18600?

Maybe he should have declared all his income instead of keeping a lot of his fares  paid in cash, which is the usual system for most cabbies worldwide.

Maybe nother case of tax avoidance coming back to bite him.

• Like 1

Just now, Gunna said:

Maybe he should have declared all his income instead of keeping a lot of his fares  paid in cash, which is the usual system for most cabbies worldwide.

Maybe nother case of tax avoidance coming back to bite him.

I feel for the guy but this law came into effect 2 years before his child was born and the work based requirements would take a year to be qualified to bring her in so it's not exactly a hardship and definitely does not indicate she was banned. It's tough but those are the rules. When was anything you wanted in life easy? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

Not true.  My mother was Finnish and many decades ago this wasn't even an issue, far less a problem.

Times change, and it has become a problem.

The man in question is 61 with a wife of 36 and a young child - and doesn't earn (according to his tax statements....) 22.000 odd p.a.....  I'd be suprised if various benefits weren't quickly claimed if the FAR younger wife plus child were allowed into the UK.

I've no sympathy at all.

So one example of things working makes it the norm does it? Many decade ago things were different unfortunately we don't live in the era of decades ago

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rwdrwdrwd said:

There was nothing stopping them from doing it whilst within the EU - Thailand isn't a part of it and has no protection under it. As with the introduction of a minimum income rule (which was entirely home grown legislation and nothing to do with the EU at all).

Totally ridiculous that people blame everything they don't like on EU membership. Going to get quite a wake up call.

Especially when France and Spain find themselves relieved of any obligation to stop vessels traveling to the UK.

On the contrary, it will be advantageous for them to facilitate such passages.

I'm looking forward to the "Exodus" moment on the day a rusty freighter with 1000 souls aboard (direct from Liberia, the first of many) arrives in Falmouth Roads.

SS Exodus - Wikipedia

Edited by Enoon

Just now, BangkokNicky said:
  • Cost of living index in London is 66.07% higher than in Bangkok.
  • Cost of living rank 28th out of 512 cities in the world.

I think it would be best him retiring 

I don't think he has the choice do you?

Interesting problem! Immigration is a hot topic these days. On this forum there is a lengthy thread on the DACA problem in the US.

Seems to me both the UK and US problems have a similar root cause... namely illegal or unintended immigration that just drains significant sums from government welfare programs. Amounts so staggering that threaten the very foundation of these programs.

So in response, governments tighten up the legal immigration rules with the noble intention of taking economic pressure off of the welfare programs. Naturally these "tighter rules" just breed more illegal and unintended or loophole immigration. So once again we must tighten the rules .... and we are on a merry-go-round that we cannot get off.

It seems to me the only answer is to address the root cause ... that is we all must deny welfare benefits to non-citizens.  I know that seems heartless, but you have to start somewhere.

So when an immigrant comes to welfare and says, "I don't have any food for me and my five kids." The response should be,  "Bring them in and we'll feed the lot of you and will do so while we are returning you and your kids to your home country."

Heartless?  Yes, probably, but we all must remember that 30 years ago Milton Freedman proved that you cannot be a welfare state AND an open border state. One or the other must be shut own!

Edited by Watchful

What is unfair and irrational about the minimum income threshold is that no account is taken of outgoings. The law makers are so thick that they have not thought about that. Hence someone could be on an income of £18,000 and own their own home with no mortgage whereas someone with an income of £18,500 but have a huge mortgage or debts and thus have less disposable income than the person with less income and small outgoings. UK law-makers as stupid as usual with only half a brain between the lot of them.

• Like 1

I am only guessing, but the current rules allow Euro spouses in regardless of merit; they are allowed in carte blanche. After Brexit there may be more flexibility for Non-Euro spouses.
Nigel Farage would probably know better than me. His wife is German.

and you must be naive enough to think those minimum income laws are not there for a reason. every country has them, including thailand. whu should this guy be allowed to bypass this law?
He just has a big head because of his past popularity, which, apparently, is gone now.
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, MickTurator said:

Only if they were married before the birth.

I fell foul of that law and it has plagued me and my daughter for the rest of our lives.

Nonsense.  My daughter was born in 2010 but I didn't get married till 2011, 14 months after. She has both Thai and British Passports. 

• Like 2

What is unfair and irrational about the minimum income threshold is that no account is taken of outgoings. The law makers are so thick that they have not thought about that. Hence someone could be on an income of £18,000 and own their own home with no mortgage whereas someone with an income of £18,500 but have a huge mortgage or debts and thus have less disposable income than the person with less income and small outgoings. UK law-makers as stupid as usual with only half a brain between the lot of them.

Nonsence,disposable income is an earned luxury not a Right.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app