Dog repeller devices. Do they work?

The manic

10 minutes ago, CaptHaddock said:

Ultrasonic repellent devices do not work on cats.  Here's an abstract of a study on cat responses.  In some cases, some cats did "flick" their ears.

http://veterinaryrecord.bmj.com/content/147/24/678

My advice is buying an amulet is likely to protect you better. 

The next time I am threatened by a pack of vicious cats in Lumpinee park...I'll take your advice.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, mikebike said:

Same evidence you supplied that it does not work.

The answer to your question is yes, many times.

I did supply evidence of two kinds: my own experiment on dogs and the abstract of a study on cats, which showed no effect.

Your "evidence" continues to lack verisimilitude.  Maybe you think we should just take your word for it?  Seems like superstition to me.

Here's another reason why these products are bullshit.  It's not possible to produce a sound that is loud enough in the human hearing range to intimidate people using a couple of AA batteries.  You can, however, buy an aerosol can that will give a horn blast the equivalent of a semi truck's horn, that will scare the bejesus out of you if you are not expecting it.  Significantly, those products use compressed gas, not low voltage electricity, to produce the sound.  That's because there is not enough energy in batteries to produce the high decibels.  That's also true in the canine hearing range even though producing high-frequency sounds takes a little less energy than lower frequencies.

So, you'd be better off with the amulet.

Edited by CaptHaddock

11 minutes ago, CaptHaddock said:

I did supply evidence of two kinds: my own experiment on dogs and the abstract of a study on cats, which showed no effect.

Your "evidence" continues to lack verisimilitude.  Maybe you think we should just take your word for it?  Seems like superstition to me.

Here's another reason why these products are bullshit.  It's not possible to produce a sound that is loud enough in the human hearing range to intimidate people using a couple of AA batteries.

Yes they do not work on cats. No one is disputing that. I use the device to keep dogs away from my cats, dogs run, cats laugh.

MY own experiment on dogs, as I previously stated, was about 80-85% effectiveness on dogs. Same verisimilitude as your "experiment", should we just take your word?

The devices I have used all use 9 volt batteries. Never seen one with a couple of AAs.

13 minutes ago, mikebike said:

Yes they do not work on cats. No one is disputing that. I use the device to keep dogs away from my cats, dogs run, cats laugh.

MY own experiment on dogs, as I previously stated, was about 80-85% effectiveness on dogs. Same verisimilitude as your "experiment", should we just take your word?

The devices I have used all use 9 volt batteries. Never seen one with a couple of AAs.

I also can verify that they work. Sometimes people just refuse to believe anything.

Some people are unacquainted with the concept of "evidence," the burden of which falls entirely on those who assert effectiveness. 

At least tell me a personal story about a vicious pit bull eager to rip your throat out who scurried off with his tail between his legs when you pressed the magic button. 

No one has.  I am still waiting.

I use the Dog Dazer II Ultrasonic Dog Deterrent. Bought on amazon dot com.

Works like a treat on all cats, but on dogs, even every aggressive ones, I give it an 8 / 10. If the dog has hearing problems or is very old, they seem to ignore the ultrasonic sound. Twice now in 4 years I have had to lay a vigious dog out cold. A powerful punch to the head between the eys works a treat. The skull at this point is only as thick as your thumb nail.

It is either that or you get bitten and have to pay upwards of 80,000.00Baht for the whole rabbies injection routine.

Try the Dazer.

13 minutes ago, Inepto Cracy said:

I use the Dog Dazer II Ultrasonic Dog Deterrent. Bought on amazon dot com.

Works like a treat on all cats, but on dogs, even every aggressive ones, I give it an 8 / 10. If the dog has hearing problems or is very old, they seem to ignore the ultrasonic sound. Twice now in 4 years I have had to lay a vigious dog out cold. A powerful punch to the head between the eys works a treat. The skull at this point is only as thick as your thumb nail.

It is either that or you get bitten and have to pay upwards of 80,000.00Baht for the whole rabbies injection routine.

Try the Dazer.

80,000 baht!!! Where on earth are you getting the rabies shots?

Are you suggesting breaking dogs skulls?

You are aware of the penalty for injuring animals?....it can be quite severe.

Edited by tryasimight

1 hour ago, CaptHaddock said:

Some people are unacquainted with the concept of "evidence," the burden of which falls entirely on those who assert effectiveness. 

At least tell me a personal story about a vicious pit bull eager to rip your throat out who scurried off with his tail between his legs when you pressed the magic button. 

Hahaha... like we are in a court of law. Its a debate mon ami. "When two parties are in a discussion and one makes a claim that the other disputes, the one who makes the claim typically has a burden of proof to justify or substantiate that claim..." Standard debating procedure. Since you claimed first that the devices do not work, "I notice that no one reports any actual experience using these devices successfully, just unsubstantiated opinion.  Well, they don't work.", the burden of evidence is on you.

Just for my own pleasure, what makes you think your unsubstantiated opinion is of any more value than anyone else's?

I haven't encountered any vicious pit bulls eager to rip my throat out as of yet but I would hazard an opinion that you would need a machete or gun in your ridiculous analogy.

Ultrasonic chasers are fine for normal situations (80-85%) like the OP's though.

1 hour ago, tryasimight said:

80,000 baht!!! Where on earth are you getting the rabies shots?

Are you suggesting breaking dogs skulls?

You are aware of the penalty for injuring animals?....it can be quite severe.

At Bangkok Hospital Phuket. They have since run out of stock for the Rabavert. You need 20 to 30 iu injection solution per 1 kg of body weight. At 6,000.00Baht an injection of 20iu, a 130KG Male would require 6.5 to 7 injections for a full course. That being told at 42,000.00Baht cash or double that if your insurance pays.

Smal price to pay to not get rabbies. If you have ever seen a person die from the effects of rabbies, look on google or youtube.

Lastly I did not say break the dogs skull just a good smack will knock it out.

Ok I am not here to fight, only to enlighten persons as to the treatment costs involved.

BTW the vacine made from horses is far cheaper and can be obtained at any government hospital for far less money.

7 minutes ago, Inepto Cracy said:

At Bangkok Hospital Phuket. They have since run out of stock for the Rabavert. You need 20 to 30 iu injection solution per 1 kg of body weight. At 6,000.00Baht an injection of 20iu, a 130KG Male would require 6.5 to 7 injections for a full course. That being told at 42,000.00Baht cash or double that if your insurance pays.

Smal price to pay to not get rabbies. If you have ever seen a person die from the effects of rabbies, look on google or youtube.

Lastly I did not say break the dogs skull just a good smack will knock it out.

Ok I am not here to fight, only to enlighten persons as to the treatment costs involved.

BTW the vacine made from horses is far cheaper and can be obtained at any government hospital for far less money.

No offence meant.

I think the MIL paid 150 baht for each of the three injections at a Government hospital. Worked for her.

Edited by tryasimight

18 minutes ago, mikebike said:

Hahaha... like we are in a court of law. Its a debate mon ami. "When two parties are in a discussion and one makes a claim that the other disputes, the one who makes the claim typically has a burden of proof to justify or substantiate that claim..." Standard debating procedure. Since you claimed first that the devices do not work, "I notice that no one reports any actual experience using these devices successfully, just unsubstantiated opinion.  Well, they don't work.", the burden of evidence is on you.

Just for my own pleasure, what makes you think your unsubstantiated opinion is of any more value than anyone else's?

I haven't encountered any vicious pit bulls eager to rip my throat out as of yet but I would hazard an opinion that you would need a machete or gun in your ridiculous analogy.

Ultrasonic chasers are fine for normal situations (80-85%) like the OP's though.

It is not a legal question; it is a scientific question.  In science, the burden of proof is on those who claim effectiveness.  If ultrasonic dog repellent devices with regulated by the FDA, like human medical devices, the burden of proof would be on the manufacturer who claims effectiveness.  I am unable to find studies of any kind that demonstrate the effectiveness of these devices, from which I conclude that it is unlikely that they work or else the manufacturers would publish such studies.

I note that the subscriber to the effectiveness theory of the dog repellent devices here mentions only two specific instances of conflict with vicious dogs and in both of those cases the device was completely ineffective.  So the summary of his claim is that the devices do work, except when you really need them to.

So, this discussion sounds like those with other superstitious people who have a deep emotional commitment to their belief in the absence of actual evidence.

I know it's a little off topic but I believe I have the best dog repellent.  It ain't cheap but if looked after it will last at least 12 years.  It's a highly trained body guard dog, a 3 year old  German Shepherd.  In my moo ban, there have been a few dogs, even up to four in a pack, who wanted to try their luck, not any more and I can walk around the entire village and not have any dog, large or small, or person come any where near us.

I have never seen people so scared, he does not show aggression unless someone enters our personal zone,which they don't.  He does not bark or growl but will attack on command, thank god something I have never had to do.  It is an absolute pleasure  to be able to walk morning and night without any of the worries that the OP seems to be experiencing. :wai:

3 hours ago, CaptHaddock said:

Your comments and querelous demands for legal evidence are vexatious, attention seeking and not useful.

1 hour ago, CaptHaddock said:

It is not a legal question; it is a scientific question.  In science, the burden of proof is on those who claim effectiveness.  If ultrasonic dog repellent devices with regulated by the FDA, like human medical devices, the burden of proof would be on the manufacturer who claims effectiveness.  I am unable to find studies of any kind that demonstrate the effectiveness of these devices, from which I conclude that it is unlikely that they work or else the manufacturers would publish such studies.

I note that the subscriber to the effectiveness theory of the dog repellent devices here mentions only two specific instances of conflict with vicious dogs and in both of those cases the device was completely ineffective.  So the summary of his claim is that the devices do work, except when you really need them to.

So, this discussion sounds like those with other superstitious people who have a deep emotional commitment to their belief in the absence of actual evidence.

There is no burden of truth required except in your mind.

4 hours ago, CaptHaddock said:

Find something more useful to do

From what I know all they are to a dog is just a sound. For it to be anything more than that then it would probably not be legal. 

So the dogs learn to deal with or ignore the sound - especially if it is the same dogs you will be using the sound against each day. Seeing as it is just a sound, then a very serious tone of voice would probably be just as or even more effective than the actual device. The device or a voice may work on the majority of fearful dogs like a taser noise will also. But confident dogs will not care less about it - so probably doesn't justify the costs. 

If a dog is serious enough to have a go (the majority of dogs are all show), like previous examples have indicated, I very much doubt a noise will make much of a difference. Best deterrent is a bamboo stick, just hitting it on the ground is enough for those dogs to turn the other way - as they have been beaten with the sticks all their lives so associate the stick with a fearful experience. I desensitise my dogs with bamboo sticks for this very reason. Again. more serious dogs, well not much can help other than if you are with another dog.

1 hour ago, maxpower said:

Fixed that problem long time ago. Cheap cuts grilled on a stick 5 Baht a pop 10 for 40 Baht . Dogs never forget.

grilled-chicken-thai.jpg.1535dec61456bd0c60946aeab0de5b30.jpg

I have certainly used that method successfully but I suspect they've forgotten me when I'm back in 3 weeks time so I'll see if that ultrasonic device works initially. Incidentally I will be using it from a couple of metres, nobody has said really mentioned the range of these things.