Pattaya expat worries: unofficial survey

webfact

On 9/20/2017 at 4:16 PM, oxo1947 said:

Yes Pattaya46..I was alluding to the most times that the normal person would have to deal with Immigration....I just see them 1 time a year to renew ..the 90 days is done by the local agent for 150 Baht, he has all the details and facts and goes on line, e-mails you to pick up your date for the next one if you want to. The whole thing is just getting easier --but dont tell that to the people with the big bottle of fear pills.....we are all just hanging by a thread here...and Doom is nigh.........

But, but, but... People need something external to gripe about...  Otherwise, they may have to face the fact that their angst may well be of their own making.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 9/20/2017 at 6:50 AM, gk10002000 said:

In general the USA does not require it, but you will likely have a very hard time getting treated or admitted to any major hospital or you will be charged so much that the sticker shock will kill you if the ailment does not.

Not True! Before Trump, the Mexicans walked across the border for Free Medical at any hospital. If it was a pregnant female, she had her baby free and the baby was now a US Citizen.

Edited by tomwct
Add more detail.

On 9/20/2017 at 5:49 AM, gk10002000 said:

I think some sort of medical insurance requirement will happen in the near future.  And I don't mean just travel insurance.  I would be buying some local Thai insurance if I do semi retire there, so that in itself is not a worry to me, except if they mandate it, and then the costs are driven up because foreigners now must have it.

Whats wrong with travels ins.? Ive been using it for 15 years. Go back to Oz twice a year.

On ‎9‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 6:50 AM, oxo1947 said:

Seriously... you think their main worry is 1 hour out of your day every 3 months to pop into immigration office...They even accept your wife doing it if you dont want to get out of bed, and  now its all moving to on-line. Also many agents are now doing it all for you for 150 baht.

It wasn't that many years ago that you had to leave the country--Pattaya BKK people could do it in a day by coach/mini van, People living further afield would take 2 days travelling, unless you had the money to fly.

Is this the new generation of moaning expats..... oh please hold my place at the bar, I have to pop into the office and fill a form in---yes  life can be cruel.

If this is the main worry of your life Steve187......your truly blessed......:coffee1:

1 hour out of your day

You dreamer you. Costs me private taxi hire there and back and half a day, if I'm lucky, up in Chiang Mai.

For what? To fill in a piece of paper that will just be filed along with the gazillion pieces of other paper somewhere.

Why can't it just be the residence sending in a confirmation every three months, like they have to do for TM 30?

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

You dreamer you

Yes..ThaiB.L..........I am a dreamer who lives way out in "Barn Nork" Issan, & who usually lets his wife take the 90 day form in if she is doing some shopping in town that week, or I just phone up the Visa agent who has details and does it on the internet for 150 Baht (Please dont tell me that one of the top tourist destinations in Thailand doesn't have a few agents doing the service--) asked ThaiB.L..& you shall be given.

I guess I got a little irked when answering Steve187 because to put this down as being a  worry for  ex-pats, did seem a bit OTT.  Look where you are now living, --leave the country every 90 days--it would have been  a problem for you then,  and before that, not even a retirement visa, go look for a friendly embassy Thai in another country who will renew your right to stay--and usually pay an agent, & that country kept changing, sometimes the all night Train to Panang...etc. Now its altered to just dropping a bit of paper off just 3 times a year. And when they do get the internet part properly sorted, whatever will people put down as being a worry then.?-Having to take the time to type in the answer 3 times a year

Edited by oxo1947

Older people have a tendency to not spend much money.

Why would the Thai government offer insurance for a bunch of sick declining ex-pats?

Seems the trend is to slowly weed them out of here, not provide a benefit encouraging them to stay.

6 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Older people have a tendency to not spend much money.

Why would the Thai government offer insurance for a bunch of sick declining ex-pats?

Seems the trend is to slowly weed them out of here, not provide a benefit encouraging them to stay.

Tourists under 35 years old accounted for less tourism expenditure. On average they spent EUR 288 (15-24 years old) and EUR 308 (25-34 years old) per trip  All other (and older) age groups spent over EUR 355 on average per trip.

Not many backpackers stay at the Hilton in my experience. 

Some of the young guys even expect woman to go out with them for free.  Isn't that a laugh.

Edited by amvet

3 minutes ago, amvet said:

Tourists under 35 years old accounted for less tourism expenditure. On average they spent EUR 288 (15-24 years old) and EUR 308 (25-34 years old) per trip  All other (and older) age groups spent over EUR 355 on average per trip.

Not many backpackers stay at the Hilton in my experience. 

Some of the young guys even expect woman to go out with them for free.  Isn't that a laugh.

Tourists have nothing to do with ex-pats living here.

11 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Tourists have nothing to do with ex-pats living here.

It has been my experiencing that retired people bring 10 times more money than young people working into the Thai economy. Why?  Retired money all comes from abroad and teaching or other Thai employment money is just re circulated money that was already in Thailand and that's why tourist and retirement dollars are so important to the Thai government.