Phuket police seize over B10mn worth of overpriced items in zero-dollar raids

snoop1130

Phuket police seize over B10mn worth of overpriced items in zero-dollar raids

Eakkapop Thongtub

1505907026_1-org.jpg

PHUKET:-- Police today carried out raids on five business operators believed to be involved in zero-dollar tours and seized over B10 million worth of what they deemed to be overpriced items.

At 10am today (Sept 20), a team of officers led by Acting Deputy Chief of the Thai Tourist Police Maj Gen Surachet Hakpan, Phuket Provincial Police Commander Maj Gen Teerapol Thipjaroen and others raided businesses that are believed to exploit and cheat tourists on products and services.

Businesses raided were; P.P. Bird Nest Co Ltd in Phuket T, Kings Birds’ Net Co Ltd in Wichit, Wang Talang Jewelry and Giftshop Co Ltd in Wichit, Chalong Latex Co Ltd on Chao Fa West Rd in Chalong and Thaiko Natural Health Co Ltd (snake garden).

Full Story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-police-seize-over-b10mn-worth-of-overpriced-items-in-zero-dollar-raids-63967.php#bwG2I4isc0rVMSwc.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2017-9-20

34 minutes ago, steelepulse said:

Who says these zero baht tourists aren't spending money here?  It appears they are.

On the other hand, I didn't see what the businesses were banged up for besides their extortionate pricing.

Thats enough to bang them up i should think .

Have they been to the OTOP shops?

I saw 2 prices clearly marked on some packets and when I asked why (in Thai) I was told the high price was the farang price.

Oh I forgot. The official explanation : Normal price for farangs: discount for Thais. So I guess all is well.

Edited by petedk

9 hours ago, petedk said:

Have they been to the OTOP shops?

I saw 2 prices clearly marked on some packets and when I asked why (in Thai) I was told the high price was the farang price.

Oh I forgot. The official explanation : Normal price for farangs: discount for Thais. So I guess all is well.

Next time you buy a product and show the pictures of dual pricing here on the forum. OTOP just always was expensive imo so i haven't been there for years

But the Thai waterfalls and National parks sure have dual pricing. And they extort us even harder by the 220 baht farang fee for using ATM's in Thailand...Malaysia and Singapore don't do that, haven't been to Myanmar/Cambodia/Laos so don't know about there.

13 hours ago, steelepulse said:

Who says these zero baht tourists aren't spending money here?  

There is a huge mattress "factory" near Pattaya  which tour buses visit everyday. Chinese tourists can look at and buy mattresses and get "free delivery" to China. :whistling:

Since when has selling overpriced goods been against the law? If so maybe King Power and all the shops at Phuket airport should be investigated. And of course the big King Power mall on Chaofa West is firmly on the zero dollar tourist route.

And don't you love the way that they come up with an exact figure for the seized goods? B10,129,490. So, is this the overpriced figure, the price that should be charged, the wholesale price or what?

1 hour ago, VocalNeal said:

There is a huge mattress "factory" near Pattaya  which tour buses visit everyday. Chinese tourists can look at and buy mattresses and get "free delivery" to China. :whistling:

What is the deal with all these Chinese going to the latex shops? What do they sell that they can't get cheaper in China? 

5 hours ago, inThailand said:

So now, the police determine what is or is not an overpriced product?

These guys are priceless!

exactly, what on earth has it got to do with the police and what legal right do they have to seize anything provided it is not fake/counterfeit, I honestly don't understand this and under what law or legal president they are operating, it is up to a retailer to sell product at whatever price they like and up to the buyer if they want to pay.

Don't see them going down walking street and seizing beer because it is 280baht for a normally 60-80baht bottle.

There is no legal standing for this, they are making it up and would have a hard time in court if it ever got there which I doubt. 

3 minutes ago, smedly said:

exactly, what on earth has it got to do with the police and what legal right do they have to seize anything provided it is not fake/counterfeit, I honestly don't understand this and under what law or legal president they are operating, it is up to a retailer to sell product at whatever price they like and up to the buyer if they want to pay.

Don't see them going down walking street and seizing beer because it is 280baht for a normally 60-80baht bottle.

There is no legal standing for this, they are making it up and would have a hard time in court if it ever got there which I doubt. 

Yup. Why does this country even have attorneys, judges and executioners when the coppers can do it all?

Edited by inThailand
fat fingers

1 hour ago, madmitch said:

Since when has selling overpriced goods been against the law? If so maybe King Power and all the shops at Phuket airport should be investigated. And of course the big King Power mall on Chaofa West is firmly on the zero dollar tourist route.

And don't you love the way that they come up with an exact figure for the seized goods? B10,129,490. So, is this the overpriced figure, the price that should be charged, the wholesale price or what?

That's the price they agreed to sell them for.

Maj Gen Surachet urged the press by saying, “We are Thais, we must show to tourists that they can trust us. Then they will come back to Thailand again..."

Does this mean that we finally are coming to an end of double-pricing and tourists prices..?

9 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

Ah so..........don't they cotton on that the stuff is already in China?? Naïve or stupid?.........or poss both!