renew retirement visa extension with only 8 months until expiry of passport

British citizen passport expires November 2018

my retirement visa extension needs renewing in February 2018

will i be able to renew my extension with only 8 months left until  the expiry of  my passport?

i had the impression that u could renew if you had six months remaining but my friend seems to  think there has to be six months remaining  on the passport at the end of the extension period  which would be August 2019

which of us is correct?

Yes you can do that no problem.Immigration will give you an extension of stay for the remainder of the time in your passport. And when you have a new passport, you just go to Immigreation and make another extension , paying once again 1.900 baht..

Glegolo

• Like 1

15 hours ago, johnnyonesock said:

British citizen passport expires November 2018

my retirement visa extension needs renewing in February 2018

will i be able to renew my extension with only 8 months left until  the expiry of  my passport?

i had the impression that u could renew if you had six months remaining but my friend seems to  think there has to be six months remaining  on the passport at the end of the extension period  which would be August 2019

which of us is correct?

If you renew your passport now you will receive one valid for 10 years 9 months. So do it now

So if I want to renew my passport before the 9 month maximum allowed, lets say 10 months, will the new passport be post dated to 9 months before the expiry date? Or can I only apply for the new passport 9 months prior? I hope I explained that correctly?

4 minutes ago, sinbin said:

So if I want to renew my passport before the 9 month maximum allowed, lets say 10 months, will the new passport be post dated to 9 months before the expiry date? Or can I only apply for the new passport 9 months prior? I hope I explained that correctly?

If you have more than 9 months left on your passport they will still add the 9 months to to the new one.

If less than 9 months they will add the number of months remaining.

7 hours ago, sinbin said:

Thank you very much. I was kinda worried as my Extension is due exactly 9 months prior to my passports expiry. 

I was in the same situation earlier this year,firstly get your UK passport renewed...as others have said you will get a maximum of 9 months added,this will take approx 3 weeks and two trips to the Trendy building in BKK,then upon renewal of your extension they will give you the full 12 months in your new passport first...then you will have to submit your old passport with your new one so they can do the transfer of  the original visa you entered thailand on plus the immigration stamp upon entry.

Do not forget afterwards to notify your bank(s) of change of passport number :thumbsup:

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, sinbin said:

So it's okay to apply for a new passport more than the 9 months in advance of your passport expiring?

A few few years ago I was doing loads of trips to Cambodia. My passport was full after 20 months so I applied 8 years early ?

Edited by Jip99
  • Like 1

On 21/09/2017 at 8:00 AM, jeab1980 said:

Just renew passport now  save any hassle later.

Sound advice, but I would do it after the 90 day report in November.

Depending on where you are located you may, or may not, want to traipse off to Bangkok twice. You can employ a third party.

Also depending where you are based, your immigration office may charge 500 Baht to transfer your stamps to the new passport. Hardly going to break the bank but you may wish to do everything at your renewal date in February.

Edited by Jip99

15 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

Sound advice, but I would do it after the 90 day report in November.

Depending on where you are located you may, or may not, want to traipse off to Bangkok twice. You can employ a third party.

Also depending where you are based, your immigration office may charge 500 Baht to transfer your stamps to the new passport. Hardly going to break the bank but you may wish to do everything at your renewal date in February.

Where do you get the 90 day report from?

4 hours ago, jeab1980 said:

Where do you get the 90 day report from?

Not quite sure what you mean... sorry.

My comment related to the fact that his extension expires in February so a 90 day report is due in November. Assuming he can't do it online he will need his passport when he visits immigration. That needs to be factored into the timing of the passport renewal, so.......... I would probably wait until November, do the 90 day report with the old passport and then do the passport renewal. Then in February they won't have to transfer his "2017" extension and can put the "2018" extension into the new passport.

Just my line of thinking....

9 hours ago, Jip99 said:

Not quite sure what you mean... sorry.

My comment related to the fact that his extension expires in February so a 90 day report is due in November. Assuming he can't do it online he will need his passport when he visits immigration. That needs to be factored into the timing of the passport renewal, so.......... I would probably wait until November, do the 90 day report with the old passport and then do the passport renewal. Then in February they won't have to transfer his "2017" extension and can put the "2018" extension into the new passport.

Just my line of thinking....

Assuming right got it now he could also be resetting 90 by leaving country. Plus if he renewed passport himself in bkk. He would still have his passport anyway.

Edited by jeab1980

50 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

Assuming right got it now he could also be resetting 90 by leaving country. Plus if he renewed passport himself in bkk. He would still have his passport anyway.

50 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

Yes, agree. Although there is no suggestion of him leaving the country that would, of course, re-set the clock. He would need his passport to do that though so it would still be a factor in the thinking.

I think the main factor is if he does the renewal himself by going to VfS; that way he retains his old passport. I would personally use an agent and would not have possession of my passport until the renewal process had been completed.

In this case renewing personally seems to be the best option - as long as that is not too inconvenient - as he can apply immediately.