North Korea's foreign minister calls Trump's U.N. address "sound of dog barking"

webfact

North Korea's foreign minister calls Trump's U.N. address "sound of dog barking"

tag-reuters.jpg

North Korean Foreign Minister Ri Yong-ho walks as he exits after a courtesy call with Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte for the 50th ASEAN Foreign Ministers’ Meeting at the Philippine International Convention Center in Pasay city, metro Manila, Philippines August 8, 2017. REUTERS/Romeo Ranoco

SEOUL (Reuters) - North Korean Foreign Minister Ri Yong Ho called U.S. President Donald Trump's address to the United Nations "the sound of a dog barking", brushing aside Trump's remarks that the United States may be forced to "totally destroy" North Korea.

"There is a saying that goes: 'Even when dogs bark, the parade goes on'," said Ri in televised remarks to reporters in front of a hotel near the United Nations headquarters in New York.

"If (Trump) was thinking about surprising us with dog-barking sounds then he is clearly dreaming."

When asked by reporters what he thought of Trump calling North Korean leader Kim Jong Un "rocket man", Ri quipped, "I feel sorry for his aides."

Ri is slated to make a U.N. speech on Friday.

His comments were the first official reaction from North Korea after Trump had issued his sternest warning yet to Pyongyang in his address to the United Nations, urging member states to work together to isolate the Kim regime until it halts its hostile behaviour. [nL2N1M00N4]

If North Korea threatens the United States or its allies, Trump said: "We will have no choice but to totally destroy North Korea."

"Rocket man is on a suicide mission for himself and his regime," he added.

South Korea's presidential office had later said Trump's warning to North Korea had been "firm and specific".

(Reporting by Christine Kim; Editing by Michael Perry)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-09-21

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While they be at least partially correct about Trump barking like a dog, as he is barking mad, that would leave us with the situation where the gibbering of Kim and the NK propaganda can be likened to that of a crazed baboon. Regardless, both of them are unstable and neithers rants are taken seriously.

What I have trouble coming to terms with is that DPRK has been ignoring UN resolutions and International law for decades. Sanctions have not worked over years and years. China has probably been supporting them more than they let on, and maybe Russia as well. Makes the UN a laughing stock. What's the point of the UN in such instances?

41 minutes ago, quadperfect said:

The thing is its not just donald trump barking its him barking and its probobly billions of others  barking with him.

Kim and his regime are doomed . Unless he does a u turn. And looks like he wont so i expect a war.

Which will mean War with a capital " W " when China defends its neighbour as it says it will do but that is probably what the warmongers  want because they will be safe in their nuclear bunkers

1 hour ago, midas said:

Which will mean War with a capital " W " when China defends its neighbour as it says it will do but that is probably what the warmongers  want because they will be safe in their nuclear bunkers

There is no firm basis to the claims that the PRC will "defend its neighbour". If you could cite anything concrete and recent to such an effect, please do. Not in the PRC's interests to get involved in any such war, and certainly not on behalf of Kim. The last line doesn't even make sense - what would be the point, even if one was a "warmonger" owning a nuclear bunker, of initiating a nuclear war? The prospects of spending years and decades in a cell underground?

I think that without China's threat of retaliation if Trump takes military action against NK then the blusterer would have made a hit against them by now.  If Kim just stopped the showboating and quietly went about the business of developing his nuclear capabilities then there wouldn't be this focus on him.  But he can't help himself and neither can Trump.

9 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Yes, some do. Not sure about NK but in SK there are some dedicated farms where dogs are raised as livestock and also specialty dog cuisine restaurants. 

I have eaten dog in China and in Vietnam.  Not by choice but as a guest so didn't refuse.  I know they also eat dog in Laos and Burma. 

The market in Guangzhou is one of the saddest places I have ever been to.

2 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

I have eaten dog in China and in Vietnam.  Not by choice but as a guest so didn't refuse.  I know they also eat dog in Laos and Burma. 

Yes, I know.

I think I would refuse and be impolite in such cases.

I actually think if you're going to eat dog, which I wish people didn't do, it's more humane to raise them as livestock than other methods including stealing people's pets.

I don't hold it against cultures where dog eating is acceptable any more than I wouldn't want a Hindu to look down on me for enjoying beef. 

Edited by Jingthing

35 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

I think that without China's threat of retaliation if Trump takes military action against NK then the blusterer would have made a hit against them by now.  If Kim just stopped the showboating and quietly went about the business of developing his nuclear capabilities then there wouldn't be this focus on him.  But he can't help himself and neither can Trump.

Was there, indeed, any such concrete and recent threat of retaliation made by the PRC?

34 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

Please correct me if I'm mistaken.... but in your post... do I detect a hint of attempted moral equivalence between Donald Trump and the stupid Pillsbury Doughboy fat kid that runs North Korea ? ? 

2 minutes ago, Catoni said:

Please correct me if I'm mistaken.... but in your post... do I detect a hint of attempted moral equivalence between Donald Trump and the stupid Pillsbury Doughboy fat kid that runs North Korea ? ? 

My opinion, is that no there isn't a moral equivalence between the two regime's political positions when taking everything into account (the U.S. system has some but not enough checks in place for an unhinged top leader), but trump as a human being lacks any morality. trump threatening to incinerate NK is also as rhetoric objectively equivalent to Kim's rhetoric. 

3 hours ago, midas said:

China is real enough not to start a war with the US - even they eradicate Kim

1 hour ago, Morch said:

There is no firm basis to the claims that the PRC will "defend its neighbour". If you could cite anything concrete and recent to such an effect, please do. Not in the PRC's interests to get involved in any such war, and certainly not on behalf of Kim. The last line doesn't even make sense - what would be the point, even if one was a "warmonger" owning a nuclear bunker, of initiating a nuclear war? The prospects of spending years and decades in a cell underground?

" If you could cite anything concrete "

Meanwhile while you are busy dissecting and analysing the precise meaning of " no firm basis " if you are wrong it will be Armageddon for all of us if it results in  a chain reaction around the world.(because there is so much pent-up anger)

BEIJING (Reuters) - If North Korea launches an attack that threatens the United States then China should stay neutral, but if the United States attacks first and tries to overthrow North Korea’s government China will stop them,

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-northkorea-missiles-china-media/chinese-paper-says-china-should-stay-neutral-if-north-korea-attacks-first-idUSKBN1AR005

5 hours ago, dunroaming said:

Let's not forget Thailand & Cambodia here .

16 minutes ago, Catoni said:

Well they are both nuts! But let's not try to level any morality to either of them.  They are both completely lacking in any and I suppose in that there is a certain level of equivalence.  Also by their rants.  I would like nothing more than the removal of Kim and his buddies without an outright attack on the country.  But then again I would like nothing better than to see Trump impeached and also removed.

30 minutes ago, Morch said:

Was there, indeed, any such concrete and recent threat of retaliation made by the PRC?

Well the Chinese tend not to tweet their rhetoric and do it quietly behind closed doors.  However I do remember very recently both China and Russia saying that military action was the wrong way to deal with Kim and Xi adding that there would be consequences for any such action.  I think I heard it on the news rather than reading it so cannot supply a link.  However I am sure it is documented somewhere.

The purpose of having a nuclear deterrent is just that.  It is not to use as a threat to attack but as a threat of retaliation if attacked.

China and the USA are not going to declare war against each other.  Sabre rattling is one thing but neither side is stupid enough to take it further than that, even Trump!