New Build in Khon Kaen

7 minutes ago, Naam said:

from april to september it all depends on the quantity of ice cubes added to the tub in which you sit when hanging out.

Instead of "Cool" should have said   cooler though I don't see how anything can get cooler than ambient without mechanical help.

These are some of my air conditioning plans: 

You know what they say, " when the going gets tough, the tough gets going'"

my plan it to get going to the cool breezes of a Greek island, or back to FL with family and friends. Sister lives at Mogliano , 15 min north of Venice Italy, a litle time there would be nice also.

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, Naam said:

from april to september it all depends on the quantity of ice cubes added to the tub in which you sit when hanging out.

I agree with Naam. No amount of shade is going to help if the air temp is over  95F. My thermometer read 95 in the shade today and it's only mid February.

I think the opposite, It is my opinion that the shady area under the house would be a cool area to hung out at, The back and one side is shaded by the fence and the front is shaded by the balcony and stairs . Also that the air flow would help keep the upstairs cooler also. 

Sorry I did not make it clear. I agree with you regarding your design. I was referring to myself. Here I have a very large uninsulated car port - the roof is made from them large corrugated preformed sheets. They heat up and radiates heat. After sun down they still have enough heat storage capacity to make it very hoot
IMG_0245.JPG

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

46 minutes ago, rvaviator said:

Sorry I did not make it clear. I agree with you regarding your design. I was referring to myself. Here I have a very large uninsulated car port - the roof is made from them large corrugated preformed sheets. They heat up and radiates heat. After sun down they still have enough heat storage capacity to make it very hoot
IMG_0245.JPG

You could put a drop ceiling in and put insulation between the ceiling and roof tiles.

We are getting toward the end now, 

The windows have arrived and they started to install the frames, and the metal guys are working on the stair rails. I will post pictures in a couple of days when they have significant enough work to take pictures.

But they did do the outside kitchen downstairs  and I do have pictures;

28109834_574332922915049_826243448_n.jpg?oh=e359e8bc7ba4ab8a852e7f1de0216f4e&oe=5A8BD6E4

The basic structure

28117513_575215952826746_701903586_n.jpg?oh=759a494150ae8d21bd699074e6872fda&oe=5A8BC91B

28117579_575215946160080_410775478_n.jpg?oh=e156ba294172a1dc60ef1ec3e558b86a&oe=5A8AC661

Blue pipe is transferring the vent to the Dryer outside the counter. 

28309061_575215996160075_1749875034_n.jpg?oh=9fac4da4eae25ec31a2db01d9cb5d7d4&oe=5A8B8625

as I said before, a small fridge for some cold beer and I might never go upstairs.:biggrin:

You could put a drop ceiling in and put insulation between the ceiling and roof tiles.

Yes that is what I have been thinking of - I roof is red in colour - I have also wondered about heat reflective paint - Looks good on paper but most things that the marketing department get hold of always looks good on paper :-)

2 minutes ago, Naam said:

every foot in length exceeding 3' reduces dryer efficiency by 3% (smooth PVC-pipe). a flexible hose reduces 6-8% if not stretched.

Good morning Nam ,Thank you for that info.

Sorry to hear that , but it is what it is .

My Options were to vent it in the counter, the other side of the counter where it will only be a couple of feet, or where I vent it now 

I did not want to vent it inside the counter for obvious reasons, and with weather being as hot as it is in Thailand I did not want it venting under the house where we will be hanging out, so......

I will try it this way, if it is a significant problem , it is an easy fix to turn it around and vent the other way and see how that works out. 

This , like me is a work in progress.:smile:

3 hours ago, sirineou said:

if it is a significant problem

i don't think it's a significant problem. the dryer's efficiency is much more dependent on the washer's centrifugal "spin dry" ability. both belong to the some small things to watch to save energy. but small things add up.

On 2/17/2018 at 6:38 PM, sirineou said:

I think the opposite, It is my opinion that the shady area under the house would be a cool area to hung out at, The back and one side is shaded by the fence and the front is shaded by the balcony and stairs . Also that the air flow would help keep the upstairs cooler also. 

The under area of my house on stilts and open on all sides is the best place to sit. Its airy , very shaded and now with a kitchen and fridge , my primary living space.

Ive grown shrubbery all round , and the hottest days I hose the bushes for some natural a/c.

Observe Thais sitting in mats or swinging in hammocks under their old wood homes out in the villiages...From this month , when I have to go upstairs , then the a/c goes on.

sirineou said:

I think the opposite, It is my opinion that the shady area under the house would be a cool area to hung out at

i don't think :smile: but claim "not cooler than the ambient temperature anywhere else in the shade." in this context it's not only interesting but also amusing to read the opinions, respectively the fairy tales made up by Farangs pertaining to houses on stilts causing the laws of physics rotating in their graves (those which were buried) and the remainders rolling on the floor with laughter (assuming laws can laugh).

:sorry:

39 minutes ago, Naam said:

i don't think :smile: but claim "not cooler than the ambient temperature anywhere else in the shade." in this context it's not only interesting but also amusing to read the opinions, respectively the fairy tales made up by Farangs pertaining to houses on stilts causing the laws of physics rotating in their graves (those which were buried) and the remainders rolling on the floor with laughter (assuming laws can laugh).

:sorry:

Not all thing heat up or cool down at the same rate. As the French say" Viva La difference"

in fact the whole existence of the Universe depends in the uneven distribution of temperature.

" and out of Chaos comes structure" 

Some of this structure manifests  itself as cooler areas under my house and hotter areas elsewhere.

In essence my house contributes to the structure of the Universe , a place that I think you all depend  on, for your existence. and some of you might enjoy!

A service that out of the goodness of my heart thus far provide  provide free of charge, but if you all don't behave, might start charging for. 

Ungrateful earthlings and other species . I will not name names.:sad:

In the age old Thai tradition of " measure non. build two or three times"  Dook my builder who is a stand up guy, when he came and see how they had made the cement, profusely apologised to my wife and make them  break it back to how it was supposed to be.My wife feld bad for the old man who made the mistake and did all the hard work of breaking it back . and I asked her to give him a couple of hundred baht and thank him for his trouble.(he is really a very nice old man and has done a great job everywhere else)

28233490_575724659442542_498636882_n.jpg?oh=f02935dbc547b3e605577bae1ad33694&oe=5A8D38C1

Notice the space I left against the wall for planting, In Florida on a previous house I had planted Confederate Jasmine  against the length of a wall. In a couple of years it had covered the whole wall and in the spring when it bloomed it smells heavenly! I wonder if Jasmine will grow in Thailand.

On the back corner where it is almost always shady they installed the water pump and Tank, If the size proves to be inadequate I will install an additional one later.

28175925_575722772776064_976603494_n.jpg?oh=9cc6bd09c42353e15dbb60798632cb13&oe=5A8C2077

You cant see it but behind it there is a pipe that feeds the tank and two shutoff valves that isolate the corner piece of pipe but provide a bypass if necessary.

to be honest i don't know what that white pipe sticking out of the cement is, I will ask the wife to find out.

28309074_575722769442731_1382837604_n.jpg?oh=27cafac3c690a1de121b5a6624691a81&oe=5A8CFAFA The pump is a hitachi , and that's all I know about that, perhaps to those with more knowledge on this  subject,

this label will provide more info ,

and I am sure all except Nam who is known to hold his opinion to himself :tongue: will tell me what they think.  LOL

PS: I just noticed that the shutoff valve on the down side of the pump is set at the wrong position ,and the pump is one of this new ones that run on cosmic rays :tongue:

1 hour ago, sirineou said:

PS: I just noticed that the shutoff valve on the down side of the pump is set at the wrong position ,and the pump is one of this new ones that run on cosmic rays :tongue:

Oh Ok I just realised what that white pipe sticking out of the cement is.

See , those brain cells sputtered for a while but eventually fired up. LOL

So disappointment!:sad: the pump is not one of the new wireless pumps that run on cosmic rays and the white pipe is to pull electric lines for the pump.

3 hours ago, sirineou said:

I am sure all except Nam who is known to hold his opinion to himself :tongue: will tell me what they think.

i'll make an exception and claim that 150 Watt is not exactly overpowering for a 2-story home. should it happen that the Mrs. is shampooing her hair upstairs and the washer is drawing water at the same time or you take a dump in the utilitybath downstairs she won't be amused when jumping out of the shower.

2 hours ago, sirineou said:

Oh Ok I just realised what that white pipe sticking out of the cement is.

See , those brain cells sputtered for a while but eventually fired up. LOL

So disappointment!:sad: the pump is not one of the new wireless pumps that run on cosmic rays and the white pipe is to pull electric lines for the pump.

and your eyesight is not as it was 50 years ago because the white pipe is as yellow as an electric conduit pipe is supposed to be.

59 minutes ago, Naam said:

i'll make an exception and claim that 150 Watt is not exactly overpowering for a 2-story home. should it happen that the Mrs. is shampooing her hair upstairs and the washer is drawing water at the same time or you take a dump in the utilitybath downstairs she won't be amused when jumping out of the shower.

Not being familiar with water distribution pumps , I can stand a litle educating 

Ok I researched the issue, as I should have done before , and I see that a 250-300 watt would have being more agequate given the size of dumps I usually take.

Live and learn.  I will change it when I come to Thailand in the fall . 

Does anyone want to buy a slightly used 150 w pump? LOL

1 hour ago, Naam said:

and your eyesight is not as it was 50 years ago because the white pipe is as yellow as an electric conduit pipe is supposed to be.

Next thing you will tell me the white water pipes are blue:shock1:

7 hours ago, Naam said:

Yep, a 150 might be OK with a single level home but will not pump efficiently up to the second story. I have a 250 and would recommend a 300 as sometimes the 250 can not keep up of course it's 10 years old and probably getting tired. lol

7 hours ago, sirineou said:

Not being familiar with water distribution pumps , I can stand a litle educating 

Ok I researched the issue, as I should have done before , and I see that a 250-300 watt would have being more agequate given the size of dumps I usually take.

Live and learn.  I will change it when I come to Thailand in the fall . 

no need to change! you have space enough to add a second pump (same capacity) which kicks in when the pressure falls below a certain preset minimum. two pumps give you also more peace of mind if primary pump fails and has to be repaired.

12 hours ago, sirineou said:

also the check valves

are necessary but reduce flow as the pump has to overcome the torque of the spring inside the valve. in my opinion your builder who seems to do an excellent job is not aware of your pump size. perhaps the Mrs. wanted to save some Baht?

16 hours ago, sirineou said:

PS: I just noticed that the shutoff valve on the down side of the pump is set at the wrong position

For the moment it is set in the correct position (off) as is the incoming water supply from the mains. This is assuming that the water in the house is still being worked on

The water tank should full, as the supply pipe is turned on.

11 hours ago, sirineou said:

Live and learn. I will change it when I come to Thailand in the fall . 

Even including massive dumps you could easily find that the 150W pump is adequate. It's more a matter of the size of pipe that has been put in the house (commonly people run everything in ½ inch) and the number of outlets functioning at one time.

If you have used ½" then you could be struggling to support the flow and pressure you need, when with exactly the same pump with a 1" network inside the house will have no problem.

For the moment it is set in the correct position (off) as is the incoming water supply from the mains. This is assuming that the water in the house is still being worked on

The water tank should full, as the supply pipe is turned on.

Even including massive dumps you could easily find that the 150W pump is adequate. It's more a matter of the size of pipe that has been put in the house (commonly people run everything in ½ inch) and the number of outlets functioning at one time.

If you have used ½" then you could be struggling to support the flow and pressure you need, when with exactly the same pump with a 1" network inside the house will have no problem.

Agree with STWW about pipe sizing unless on no-pump good mains supply.

Disagree about dump sizing.

1 hour ago, sometimewoodworker said:

because the laws of physics don't apply to the head capacity of pumps when pipes with a bigger diameter are used.

:coffee1:

1 minute ago, Naam said:
1 hour ago, sometimewoodworker said:

because the laws of physics don't apply to the head capacity of pumps when pipes with a bigger diameter are used.

:coffee1:

No at all.

When you are trying to draw off water from two ½" outlets at the end of a ½" run of pipe (both able to use virtually all the supply) you will be limited by the ½" main supply.

Conversly a 1” main supply will be able to let both ½" taps supply their full amount of water.

Archived