Island travel ideas for my daughter and me

soistalker

My university-age daughter will be coming to visit me at the end of the year. I'd like to ask you guys  for suggestions on an  island(s) to take her to from Pattaya (where I live) that wouldn't be too difficult to get to. Preferably somewhere with beautiful beaches, not so many people, and where the locals aren't aggressive or more money hungry than usual. 

well your closest main island is Koh Samet .... Me and my 10 friends have been there 20 times ... it's good and not far from you.  Stay at Malibu resort as it has a pool.

Next would be Koh Chang ..... but it's a good 4 hours from you.  A nice island and nice beaches.

If it was me ....  Koh Samet for a couple of days.

Steven's advice is perfect.  Sadly, you'll be hard pressed to find a beautiful beach in Thailand with few people.  Especially anywhere within a 6 hour drive of Bangkok.  A few hours south of Hua Hin is where some really nice beaches start, but they aren't islands.

Samet is pretty crowded.  Avoid White Sand Beach.  Koh Chang has some more isolated beaches, but still quite crowded, especially on the weekends. 

If you are OK with beaches on the mainland, Chao Lao down near Chantaburi is about the best between here and the Cambo border.  The northern part is the best part.  But not easy to get to without your own wheels.

If going around the last week of the year, book now.  The places will be fully booked and prices will rise.

Soi did you post recently regarding two daughters?

One pulled out?

No offence mate but uni aged daughter hanging out with her dad on islands. Nothing wrong with it but you sure you are not being protective and rightly so but perhaps she has mates in thailand at same time or something?

Uni aged daughters are fairly adventurous is all I'm saying so maybe she will be hard to please?

Ao Pai Beach Samet, Samed Villa. Certainly not Malibu Beach...Perfect for short trip. Don't book package. Do yourself.

Great for food, entertainment all along beach and swimming and long walks in all directions.

Or Lamai Beach, Samui, if few extra days and cost not a factor.. Plenty hotel choices.

Regards. MS>

19 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

Steven's advice is perfect.  Sadly, you'll be hard pressed to find a beautiful beach in Thailand with few people.  Especially anywhere within a 6 hour drive of Bangkok.  A few hours south of Hua Hin is where some really nice beaches start, but they aren't islands.

Samet is pretty crowded.  Avoid White Sand Beach.  Koh Chang has some more isolated beaches, but still quite crowded, especially on the weekends. 

If you are OK with beaches on the mainland, Chao Lao down near Chantaburi is about the best between here and the Cambo border.  The northern part is the best part.  But not easy to get to without your own wheels.

If going around the last week of the year, book now.  The places will be fully booked and prices will rise.

Have to disagree. If I were taking my daughter White Sand Beach, Koh Chang would be near the top of the list. There are some nice bungalows on the beach. Many places to dine. Easy songthauw travel to the other beaches.

Edited by pegman
Addition

8 minutes ago, pegman said:

Have to disagree. If I were taking my daughter White Sand Beach, Koh Chang would be near the top of the list. There are some nice bungalows on the beach. Many places to dine. Easy songthauw travel to the other beaches.

oops....my comment was directed at White Sand Beach on Samet.  Not Koh Chang.  I've stayed all over both islands.  White Sand Beach is indeed very nice on KC.  KC Grande Resort is one of my favs.  A bungalow right on the sand.  Lovely.

Last visit we were on Klong Prao beach.  Wonderful.

Edited by craigt3365

Koh Samui, in the right places can provide you with both quiet and peaceful living, with top quality, but inexpensive accomodation, yet close to beaches and the night life of good restaurants and bars (not girlie bars), not to mention the variety of activities one can enjoy, both on and just off the Island.  We also have all the big stores for shopping, as well as enough Family Marts and Seven 11s to last you a life time.  If you would like more information, pm me.  I have been here now for 12 very happy years and my Thai Wife used to run her own Tour Company and still has the connections to get reduced rate trips etc, if you would like to be a little active.

On ‎9‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 10:38 AM, InMyShadow said:

Why not  Koh larn? Just stay away from the Chinese tourist beach 

LOL, the OP asked for BEAUTIFUL beaches.

IMO the northern beaches of Phangan are all that's left from the concrete invasion, but Lanta is a close second.

I have stayed on Samet and Big Chang, but both have too many people and trashed beaches. If the south is too far, Chang would be my preferred option. After my last visit I'll never go back to Samet- just too horrid now.

47 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

LOL, the OP asked for BEAUTIFUL beaches.

IMO the northern beaches of Phangan are all that's left from the concrete invasion, but Lanta is a close second.

I have stayed on Samet and Big Chang, but both have too many people and trashed beaches. If the south is too far, Chang would be my preferred option. After my last visit I'll never go back to Samet- just too horrid now.

Sorry to stray off topic. But TBL, have you ever done the tigerline ferry from Lanta to Lipe? Thinking of doing it in November.

Sorry, never went to Lipe. I saw a lot of beaches, but too many to see all of them.
Lipe coral reef was awsome.
Best beach i went so far and I was all over the Thailand.

In Lipe you coral reef is very close to shore, you can swim or kayak. Lots of parrot fishes etc.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

On 9/24/2017 at 12:43 PM, Rc2702 said:

Soi did you post recently regarding two daughters?

One pulled out?

No offence mate but uni aged daughter hanging out with her dad on islands. Nothing wrong with it but you sure you are not being protective and rightly so but perhaps she has mates in thailand at same time or something?

Uni aged daughters are fairly adventurous is all I'm saying so maybe she will be hard to please?

Only she is coming. And she has never been to Thailand, and has no family here. She had no choice but to hang out with daddy.