TM30 now required in Phuket (just a heads up)

Went to the Patong office today to do my 90 day report, and was asked if I had registered my address. I informed them that was done 2 years ago in Phuket Town, reply was "has to do again, new rules from big boss". So I have to go back tomorrow with my landlord, and some more photocopies.

This is just meant as a heads up, as it is something relatively new (wasnt necessary 3 months ago), and isnt enforced everywhere, as far as I can tell.

Bonus info: I heard one of the immigration employees inform a foreigner that the address registration had to be done every time he came back to Thailand (he applied for a re-entry), and was living and working here (I assume he doesnt change address every time). I really hope she was just misinformed, otherwise they will be pretty busy making the same address registrations over and over.....

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Beck1976 said:

Went to the Patong office today to do my 90 day report, and was asked if I had registered my address. I informed them that was done 2 years ago in Phuket Town, reply was "has to do again, new rules from big boss". So I have to go back tomorrow with my landlord, and some more photocopies.

This is just meant as a heads up, as it is something relatively new (wasnt necessary 3 months ago), and isnt enforced everywhere, as far as I can tell.

Bonus info: I heard one of the immigration employees inform a foreigner that the address registration had to be done every time he came back to Thailand (he applied for a re-entry), and was living and working here (I assume he doesnt change address every time). I really hope she was just misinformed, otherwise they will be pretty busy making the same address registrations over and over.....

Hi, I have a question. I am planning to visit Thailand for work next month after attending my sister's marriage. I will be staying at a company place but I wont be paying any rent. Will I need to do any of this myself? I will be based in BKK though. But what if I were based in Phuket, would I need to do all this?

10 hours ago, Beck1976 said:

No, there was no mention of any fine.

Well that is a positive.... I though they were using this as a way to get more fines in!

Similar discussion and a bit of confusion with Jomtiem..... so far I haven't had to submit a TM30, although I usually have one ready when I do my extension or 90 day. (Same residence, my house, for 8 years). Been in and out of Thailand a few times so have avoided going to immigration this year..... but one day I expect I will get 'hit-up'. Why do I have to put my address on my TM6?

Wife got fined 1600 baht at Patong last week for not reporting me when I came back to Thailand in July. They said you have to report within 24h every time you come back from abroad or even if you go to a hotel within Thailand and then go back to your normal residence. 

32 minutes ago, 1sickpuppy said:

Same thing in Maesai, i copped an 800 baht fine now every time re enter Thailand have to go to immigration office & register again, no big deal

hmmm, how does that work ? you should have 24 hours to report, how would they know unless you went to the IO for another purpose ?

18 hours ago, Beck1976 said:

You have to update your TM 30 every time you leave the country and return.  Has nothing to do with the reentry permit.  Travel within Thailand does not require you to update the TM 30. 

29 minutes ago, zib said:

They said you have to report within 24h every time you come back from abroad or even if you go to a hotel within Thailand and then go back to your normal residence. 

That is not correct. It is within 24 hours of arrival at the residence being reported not the country.

Also not needed it you travel within the country.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Aditi Sharma said:

Hi, I have a question. I am planning to visit Thailand for work next month after attending my sister's marriage. I will be staying at a company place but I wont be paying any rent. Will I need to do any of this myself? I will be based in BKK though. But what if I were based in Phuket, would I need to do all this?

My understanding is your company in the process of getting your work visa would also be notifying of your residential address ( given that it is a company dwelling and they are by definition the owner ) TM 30 is required by some locations and not by others when one returns to Thailand

I'm not doing it.  Every time I do they staple another piece of paper into my passport and never take one out.  One more staple and I won't be able to get through a metal detector.  If I reported every time I took a night out of town or made a 90 day crossing I wouldn't be able to get my passport in my pocket. Most ridiculous bit of bureaucratic nonsense yet.  They have a copy of my home rental contract.  It's a one year contract.  Consider that one years address notice. When I move they will get another. Case closed.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ThaiWai said:

I'm not doing it.  Every time I do they staple another piece of paper into my passport and never take one out.  One more staple and I won't be able to get through a metal detector.  If I reported every time I took a night out of town or made a 90 day crossing I wouldn't be able to get my passport in my pocket. Most ridiculous bit of bureaucratic nonsense yet.  They have a copy of my home rental contract.  It's a one year contract.  Consider that one years address notice. When I move they will get another. Case closed.

All well and good if you live in an area were they dont bother about having to report everytime. If not i see a few fines coming your way.

Edited by jeab1980

This was reported by me and others that TRIED to do 90 day reports in Patong recently (2 weeks ago) USE PHUKET town, no need to re do your certificate every time you come back from overseas travel. I have the same notification in my passport from 2 years ago and have been in and out at least 8 times.

PS: i tried to do my 90 day online (phuket) never was changed from pending so after i did it in person (10 days after i tried online) I went back and deleted it :-)

Edited by phuketrichard
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Aditi Sharma said:

It's irrelevant, if you pay rent or not.

According to law, you have to report your place of stay within 24 hours. (Applicable in all of Thailand )

I recently arrived back after a short visit to the UK and told my wife that I would have to go to immigration to hand in a TM30 so she phoned Rayong immigration who said it wasn't required. Even though I'm glad I didn't have to make the trip I know it is a requirement, I was just trying to find the relevant info on the official immigration website but the pages I visited didn't make it 100% clear but I did find this article which explains it clearly.

https://perfecthomes.co.th/tm030-registration-thailand/#

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, sandrabbit said:

I recently arrived back after a short visit to the UK and told my wife that I would have to go to immigration to hand in a TM30 so she phoned Rayong immigration who said it wasn't required. Even though I'm glad I didn't have to make the trip I know it is a requirement, I was just trying to find the relevant info on the official immigration website but the pages I visited didn't make it 100% clear but I did find this article which explains it clearly.

https://perfecthomes.co.th/tm030-registration-thailand/#

That info posted on that commercial website is specific to Chiang Mai and does not apply to all immigration offices.

.Rayong immigration is correctly doing it according to what is written in the immigration act.

They only want a new report if you change addresses.

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

That info posted on that commercial website is specific to Chiang Mai and does not apply to all immigration offices.

.Rayong immigration is correctly doing it according to what is written in the immigration act.

They only want a new report if you change addresses.

I still thought it was a requirement though but on the immigration website all I could find was a statement regarding businesses having to report it within 24hrs of entering the country. I only posted that site because I thought it was a clear way of explaining the TM30 form but it seems it isn't after all.

That is not correct. It is within 24 hours of arrival at the residence being reported not the country.
Also not needed it you travel within the country.

Yes you aee correct about arriving at the residence. I should have been more clear. We did however get the information that it has to be reported again if you stay at a hotel in Thailand and then go back home. To be sure ly wife called Phuket Town Immigration also and they confirmed the same thing. As soon as a hotel sends in a tm30 you need to register again when you leave the hotel and arrive at your residence

Sent from my SM-G955F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, sandrabbit said:

I still thought it was a requirement though but on the immigration website all I could find was a statement regarding businesses having to report it within 24hrs of entering the country.

It is 24 hours of arrival at the residence. For example you could checkout of one hotel and travel to another one and they would need to do another one within 24 hours of check in.

The problem is that some offices are misinterpreting section 38 of the immigration act by reading that it means when you enter the country not arriving at the residence. Most do it correctly and only want a new one if you change addresses.

• Like 1

Well, it's a Wednesday in Thailand so a lot of conflicting information going around :smile:

Here's my question:  does anyone know of anyone who does not own a business successfully applying for the online TM-30 registration account from an immigration office?  If so, which office, and what is the process for doing so?

I'm the owner and resident of my condo in Phuket.  I would like to use the online TM-30 registration capability to report myself when I return to my condo (after I return from a trip outside Thailand, or after I return to my condo from spending a night somewhere else where my temporary address may have been reported to immigration), but I am retired, meaning I don't have a business in Thailand, nor do I work in Thailand.  I have no intention of ever renting out my condo either short or long-term.  I just would use the online registration to fulfill my legal obligation to inform immigration of my return to my home address.

Seems to me this would be a win-win situation.  The immigration office gets up-to-date information on my address (in this case, confirmation that I still live in the same place) within 24 hours when I return home yet I don't have to clog up the already busy immigration office with my presence.  I realize this makes too much sense to ever likely be implemented, but a guy can dream can't he?

Anyone succeed in doing this without being a business owner?

I still thought it was a requirement though but on the immigration website all I could find was a statement regarding businesses having to report it within 24hrs of entering the country. I only posted that site because I thought it was a clear way of explaining the TM30 form but it seems it isn't after all.

To add I got a warning about this last time I renwed my wife. Phuket Town Imm said the system said I stayed in a hotel in Bangkok. No fine that time just had to submit the tm30 again

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, zib said:

To be sure ly wife called Phuket Town Immigration also and they confirmed the same thing. As soon as a hotel sends in a tm30 you need to register again when you leave the hotel and arrive at your residence

Checking into a hotel does not change your permanent address in immigrations records.

In order for a immigration officer to know you checked into a hotel that reported you they would have go into a separate database and search it to find out if you checked into a hotel. Most offices do not bother to do that.

Over the years here I checked into to numerous hotels that I am certain reported me and have never been asked to do a TM30 form.

Checking into a hotel does not change your permanent address in immigrations records.
In order for a immigration officer to know you checked into a hotel that reported you they would have go into a separate database and search it to find out if you checked into a hotel. Most offices do not bother to do that.
Over the years here I checked into to numerous hotels that I am certain reported me and have never been asked to do a TM30 form.

You should know things here can change for the worse in a second :D I have never in 8 years been asked either until now.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Is it not a TM28 form that you have to use if you travel inside Thailand

I don't know how many times they need ones address,but TM30 's are

a nice earner for Immigration in Chiang Mai 1,800 THB a pop.

regards worgeordie

18 minutes ago, zib said:

You should know things here can change for the worse in a second :D I have never in 8 years been asked either until now.

Not likely to change here since it is not a tourist a big tourist area here.

Only the most pedant offices that are looking for fine money are checking to see if people have stayed in a  hotel. Most offices doing it are the ones doing a lot of extensions for tourist and visa exempt entries.

12 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

Is it not a TM28 form that you have to use if you travel inside Thailand

Yes it is but it is not really enforceable so not done.

Some offices are mixing up the TM28 and TM30 reports requirements. The 2 are even in different sections of the immigration act with different requirements and fines that can be imposed.