Police chief shows off his new "bargain" toy as 150,000 guns set to flood Thailand

webfact

Police chief shows off his new "bargain" toy as 150,000 guns set to flood Thailand

2pm.jpg

Picture: TNews

National police chief Jakthip Chaijinda was pictured holding a new US gun that is set to become standard for police in Thailand.

The Sig Sauer P320SP will be issued to 150,000 officers nationwide.

The first consignment of 5,000 arrived yesterday with the chief saying that their quality, efficiency and capability will help his men do their job to the standard we all expect.

2pm1.jpg

Picture: TNews

He also said he got a bargain - the 23,000 baht for each one is below the usual market price, he told Tnews.

Some 22,000 more will arrive in October then each month subsequently more will come into Thailand until the 150,000 order is complete.

The chief also spoke of upgrading police with better body armor, especially in the three insurgent provinces in the far south of the country.

Source: TNews

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-09-29

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

probably a bargain because

"In late July 2017, the Dallas Police Department instructed all personnel to stop carrying the P320 pending an investigation. There are concerns that the firearm may discharge when it is dropped and the back of the slide hits the ground at about a 30-degree angle. .....  Internet publications, such as TheTruthAboutGuns.com, conducted independent tests that appear to confirm potential drop firings (at a 40% rate).[Another test has shown that the P320 may discharge when the magazine hits the ground first after the gun is dropped. On 8 August 2017, Sig Sauer issued a notice that they would upgrade all P320s to address the issue."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SIG_Sauer_P320#Reviews

Though it makes a good excuse for shooting someone. "i didn't mean to shoot him, i just dropped the gun!"

Edited by taichiplanet

Issued thats funny we had to purchase it ! and as for arriving now that was meant to happen 3 years ago when we paid for it ! Hmmm we were charged 28,000 funny he now states 23,000 seems someone done alright out of the deal ! and 150,000 pieces Hmmmm 

Edited by tracker1

2 minutes ago, taichiplanet said:

"In late July 2017, the Dallas Police Department instructed all personnel to stop carrying the P320 pending an investigation. There are concerns that the firearm may discharge when it is dropped and the back of the slide hits the ground at about a 30-degree angle. .....  Internet publications, such as TheTruthAboutGuns.com, conducted independent tests that appear to confirm potential drop firings (at a 40% rate).[Another test has shown that the P320 may discharge when the magazine hits the ground first after the gun is dropped. On 8 August 2017, Sig Sauer issued a notice that they would upgrade all P320s to address the issue."

Though it makes a good excuse for shooting someone. "i didn't mean to shoot him, i just dropped the gun!"

It is only a bargain by Thailands standards cheaper elsewhere and yes you are spot on with the defect !

So whats going to happen to all the old guns the police currently waddle around with strapped to their waists. 

Recalled and destroyed or just left at the home of the current owner. Serious questions as all of a sudden that is a lot more guns in circulation on the basis of - well he's a policeman so it okay. 

34 minutes ago, jonclark said:

So whats going to happen to all the old guns the police currently waddle around with strapped to their waists. 

Recalled and destroyed or just left at the home of the current owner. Serious questions as all of a sudden that is a lot more guns in circulation on the basis of - well he's a policeman so it okay. 

Up till now every policeman had to buy his own gun, that is why you see so many different police with different guns.

So as the old guns belonged to individual officers, they will be selling them on themselves i think.

52 minutes ago, taichiplanet said:

what's sp stand for? are you sure they haven't just ordered the upgraded version 

4 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Up till now every policeman had to buy his own gun, that is why you see so many different police with different guns.

So as the old guns belonged to individual officers, they will be selling them on themselves i think.

Thanks! :smile:

You just made up another mayhem. :cheesy:

58 minutes ago, taichiplanet said:

looks like sig are upgrading all those pistols https://www.sigsauer.com/press-releases/sig-sauer-issues-voluntary-upgrade-p320-pistol/

5 hours ago, SidJames said:

Great news.

This will help them to route the real bad guys out there.

Has anyone done the maths on 23K x 150K?

I feel safer just reading this story....

Of course, a standard sidearm, the same for every officer, including a chip, is a good thing, for every police force in the world.

Now every policeman carries something to his own taste and purse.

Which is definitely NOT a good thing.

If the old arms will appear via legal sales in the hands of civilians remains to be seen, due to several tax rules.

5 hours ago, taichiplanet said:

Do the BIB really need an excuse?

4 hours ago, colinneil said:

Yep, 150,000 cheap virtually unused firearms about to hit the market - now every man and his dog will now be able to defend themselves against all the other armed crazies out there. 

Guess it would be far too intelligence to offer a good trade-in price and a directive that the new firearm is only given when your existing hand gun is returned and logged in as being returned.  

5 hours ago, tracker1 said:

Issued thats funny we had to purchase it ! and as for arriving now that was meant to happen 3 years ago when we paid for it ! Hmmm we were charged 28,000 funny he now states 23,000 seems someone done alright out of the deal ! and 150,000 pieces Hmmmm 

We know this is Thailand, nothing is bought or soled by the government agencies without any form of kickback....Hmmm,...

5 hours ago, colinneil said:

Erm, nothing changed about policemen having to buy their own gun, it is still so for these SIGs, and for the ammunition...! As for the old guns, I share your fear they will be sold on the 'black market', same as the many other guns policemen are authorised to buy 'for themselves' (supposed to be kept during at least 5 years, but mostly bought 'on order' for 'customers' and delivered at arrival)...

A higher police officer once told me it was supposed that the RTP was the main provider of 'black' guns (from handgun to long guns and riot guns) in Thailand.

There is namely no functioning(!) registration system, with follow-up(!) and regular controls, especially not for guns registered to these people.

When, exceptionally,  some individual BiB, or official, is asked about gun this or gun that, the, accepted(!), answer seems often to be it has been 'mislaid', can not be found, or has been 'lost', ...and end of story!  

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Some 22,000 more will arrive in October then each month subsequently more will come into Thailand until the 150,000 order is complete.

Look out at road-side markets for the old cop-guns or is it just possible that the station commanders will issue the new ones on a new-for-old basis . . . too complicated? Yes, probably, since it would involve moving both hands at once.

2 hours ago, hansnl said:

Of course, a standard sidearm, the same for every officer, including a chip, is a good thing, for every police force in the world.

Now every policeman carries something to his own taste and purse.

Which is definitely NOT a good thing.

If the old arms will appear via legal sales in the hands of civilians remains to be seen, due to several tax rules.

By legal sale, what universe are you in? 

Edited by Artisi